265G Build up and equipment recommendations

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the forum you can find some basic info here; https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-to-saltwater-tanks-opinions-encouraged.791449/post-8419772

Long story short im relatively new to reefing, started with a 40B, upgraded to a drilled 75 G, now I recently bought a used 265 Gallon ( was a great deal so im stuck with it now ).

-The pervious owner had 2 small under sized (IMO) power heads inside the tank. Ideas on an qdequate way to move water in this tank?

-Had no organization to the aquascape, the lighting was mostly LED strips and heat lamp style lighting ( he also had some reefbrite light strips just chilling in the closet, ive never heard of these). What would be a good lighting source for a tank this size?

-There was a large AC pool style return pump hooked up but not operational. He had a smaller return pump guessing it was temporary but it was i believe a 1500gph return pump(undersized IMO). Should i repair the AC pump or replace it? Or does anyone recommend another pump or pumps i would need to use?

Im not trying to break the bank so i will make purchases slowly, ill take the advice i can get thanks!

I will start posting pictures soon when i actually start the build up. Ive already cleaned the tank, now i need to do some scaping and reseal the corners, i will make more of a build thread when i start the before and after post.

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also not sure what kind of sump there is, but it was working well from what i could see, and i believe it was custom. If i had to guess id say its a 40 gallon to 50 gallon sump.

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20210110-124426_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-124332_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-124347_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-124357_Facebook.jpg

Here is the tank set up and running at the previous owners house.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. Have you started a build thread? Once you do, you'll get a build thread contributor badge and people can see your system from any of your posts. If you want to ramp up slowly, then the best bet is to ramp up livestock slowly and then you won't need to lay out $$$ fast. For example, if you start with fish only, then lighting does not really matter and flow can be something simple. Those are two big ticket items you can definitely wait on. With fish only, you just need lights strong enough for you to see and enjoy your tank.

Also, if you want to use more time than money, then starting with dry rock is cheaper than live rock. Definitely re-do the aquascape to your liking. You can spend a surprising amount on glue, accelerant, and mortar for a large complicated scape, but I think it's a fun project and worth it. Check out the BRS negative space aquascape video. It's one of their best.

Undersized pumps are fine for now. I am using old Mag drives I had lying around until I can justify costlier new DC pumps and I have no regrets. That will buy you time to do research and perhaps find a good deal on used equipment.

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. Have you started a build thread? Once you do, you'll get a build thread contributor badge and people can see your system from any of your posts. If you want to ramp up slowly, then the best bet is to ramp up livestock slowly and then you won't need to lay out $$$ fast. For example, if you start with fish only, then lighting does not really matter and flow can be something simple. Those are two big ticket items you can definitely wait on. With fish only, you just need lights strong enough for you to see and enjoy your tank.

Also, if you want to use more time than money, then starting with dry rock is cheaper than live rock. Definitely re-do the aquascape to your liking. You can spend a surprising amount on glue, accelerant, and mortar for a large complicated scape, but I think it's a fun project and worth it. Check out the BRS negative space aquascape video. It's one of their best.

Undersized pumps are fine for now. I am using old Mag drives I had lying around until I can justify costlier new DC pumps and I have no regrets. That will buy you time to do research and perhaps find a good deal on used equipment.
Thank for the reply! My 75G i have up and running has a Kole tang, brown tang, yellow tang, 3 clown fish, 2 cleaner shrimp, a sand sifting starfish and 2 hatian anemone. However those fish in the 75 are currently in a 20 gallon quarintine tank. The brown tang had ich some how so i am treating them all. Ive been treating them all for a week now. They all seem to be much better, now i just need to wait the 6 weeks for the 75 G to kill.off the remaining parasite.

The 265 came with a tomato clown, 2 lemon damsels, a lawnmower blenny, and a hawkfish. All are also in a 40 gallon quarintine tank until i get the 265g set up. The set up is kind of a rush, im getting rid of the 75 and its in the area the 265 will be going. Im more so just trying to get gph recommendations more so than brands, ill go high end or slightly lower, i just want to make sure im going to be buying the correct flow ratings.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-The pervious owner had 2 small under sized (IMO) power heads inside the tank. Ideas on an qdequate way to move water in this tank?
Jebao pumps are actually pretty good pumps. In your case, I'd just add two more Jebao pumps to the existing two.

-Had no organization to the aquascape, the lighting was mostly LED strips and heat lamp style lighting ( he also had some reefbrite light strips just chilling in the closet, ive never heard of these). What would be a good lighting source for a tank this size?
I don't see dimensions listed, so providing those dimensions will help greatly along with what your plans for the tank are. Do you plan on doing FOWLR, some corals, all SPS? Each scenario has different requirements.

-There was a large AC pool style return pump hooked up but not operational. He had a smaller return pump guessing it was temporary but it was i believe a 1500gph return pump(undersized IMO). Should i repair the AC pump or replace it? Or does anyone recommend another pump or pumps i would need to use?
Your flow through your sump should really only be enough to keep the tank at a stable temperature. 3-5x turnover is just fine. The 1500 gph pump should do you just fine for the time being. If you're looking to replace it right away though, I'd say a pump that does 2500 gph and once head pressure is accounted for, you should be golden.

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7'L x 2.5'H x 2'W is the tank demensions. Not sure what those abbreviations mean yet, but i do plan on have corals, as for what kind could not tell you.

Dang this larger pump does 4k-6k gph, this was used previously.
20210110_145901.jpg

Good to hear the powerheads are good ill try to pick up some more or neptunes i just like the more sleek looks.

Back