29 Gallon Bio Cube Mods

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sicce 1.5 moves 358 gph and is about 25.00 less. That one is really good too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cowpony18 is yours hood and Oceanic or Coralife? I might be interested in buying it if you upgrade. My son is 10. I'd like to have a spare hood for his tank JIC.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody needs one I got a hood for the 32 that was used for about two months still perfect condition for 100.00. There are a lot of good retrofit lighting options if you are just a little handy and still need the hood but taking the top off and using different lights is the way to go.

U

User1

View Badges
Return pump upgrade.
Remove false bottoms in 1 and 2 chamber.
Even out the chamber 1 divider wall so you get even flow and not directed.
Remove media in 2nd chamber.
Remove chamber 1 media.
If required - inTank has media rack which you can toss in a bag of purgen, or chemi stuff (when needed).
If required - fish guard.
If heater - chamber 1 or 2
2nd chamber options:
1. Hang light behind tank if room, in window area, and add light, grow cheato
2. Use inTank's sumberable light - grow chaeto (I think it was them who sold it anyway)
3. Left over rock - use for cryptic zone

Lights:
Steve's LEDs - I've used their retro before, not bad, a bit too blue for me but worked well
Rapid LED - also used custom kit I made my own using cree's - worked great
Nanobox LED array - not used but a fine looking chip

Flow: most difficult thing in this tank due to space. Upgraded pump helps so consider using something smaller with regards to power head. I used RW-4's but there are other slimmer options coming out maybe worth a try. Don't stuff full or rocks. Try to get flow around and in back. Give corals room to grow and spread.

Fish: not a lot of options here but smaller fish will make it look more full.

Search: I've seen some folks drill and add a sump. I was going to do this but since I upgraded I've stored my 2 cubes in the garage for later or qt tanks. That would increase water volume and seems interesting option. Could add a skimmer there.

Modify hood in back and add CPR bak pak skimmer. Good skimmer, works great, room in 2nd chamber if you mod the hood. Please look at how people add skimmers that actually work and not garbage. It will require hood modification.

Lastly: Dump hood all together and add a light above which would give you some room to use the back wall of the tank.

Good luck.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone happen to have comparison pics of the Steve's vs stock lighting?

U

User1

View Badges
Does anyone happen to have comparison pics of the Steve's vs stock lighting?

I don't. He changed up the heat sink design the last I checked but I recall it having about 29 - 32 LED's though. Color range I would say is between 18 - 20K easy. It was a bit too blue for me so I had my controller dial back the blue channel more to my liking. Lights are a lot for that little space so will be able to keep pretty much everything assuming everything else is in check.

Rapid LED's kit was a larger heat sink block that I had installed a mix of white, natural white, royal blue and blue Cree LED's. I think in the end I was at around 21 to 30 chips. As with Steve's above it was overkill for the tank. If I was to do it today I would probably mix in some other colors like mint, UV, and red to fine tune.

The only complaint I had wasn't related to either of the LED products but rather the piece of dog poo plastic water seal they use. It will dull over time and reduce lighting. I had to polish it to clear it up.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love to mix old school CF with the new LED's

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of changes can be done.

I'm running a Siccee 3.0 pump, into a lockline splitter using Dual RFG heads, a Jaebo PP-4 for additional circulation. I'm running without my top, and have a Kessil 160w light. I also have a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer.

I'm very happy with my build, however I would love to thrown on the

My Build Thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/haggisman14s-oceanic-biocube-29.330481/

CalamityJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the extreme. When I couldn't find a good small skimmer that would fit in the back, and because the stock lighting (P.Cs) would over heat the tank, I took the top off, and replaced the lighting with a Hydra 26, and an Aquamaxx HOB. When I needed more internal space I removed the inner partition carefully with a razor blade. Because I travel a lot I added a Tunze ATO. It's probably not even a biocube anymore;Nailbiting

NFO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling my biocube 29 and I did the full rimless mod because I heard they were a pain to keep cool and i just like the way it looks..
For lighting I went AI Prime HD on the 18" gooseneck..
And I just filled my rear chamber with cheto and made magnetic led light..
Stock return for now and a jaebo pp4 powerhead..
I'm really happy with how it turned out..good luck!

NFO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling my biocube 29 and I did the full rimless mod because I heard they were a pain to keep cool and i just like the way it looks..
For lighting I went AI Prime HD on the 18" gooseneck..
And I just filled my rear chamber with cheto and made magnetic led light..
Stock return for now and a jaebo pp4 powerhead..
I'm really happy with how it turned out..good luck!

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 28 gal led tank. I have in the filter basket filter floss, chem pure, and purigen. I replace the fans with fans from the Coolerguys.com Scythe 50 mm X 10 mm Silent Mini Kaze Fan SY501012m. Total cost with shipping for two fans was $19.08. IMOP they are really quite. Replaced pumps with maxi jet 1200. The fan ans pump upgrades made my wife happy so they must be ok. I made a post on R2R on replacing the fans. I keep the lid open and run a fan 24 X 7 to keep tank at 78. I currently do not have have a protein skimmer but I am look at Reef Glass protein skimmer in the feature it is reasonably priced has fairly good reviews.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many ways to change bio-cube lighting. I recommend LED 12" LED Strips with one being a reefbrite or nano light which will fit just under the hood. Prime will even work.
Ghost skimmer will work well ( IM) as far as a skimmer unit. A Small titanium OR as I use a 100wt Cobalt Neo-therm is space saving and very reliable.
You can try to clean fan by blowing out or acquire a computer fan ( very reasonable) . . . . . .
AND HAVE A VERY BALANCED system with great lighting and flow.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cromag27 maybe you could do a series of products just for the biocubes

Back