chris.gries.50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an elementary school teacher. I am starting thread to document the progression on a 29 gallon clownfish tank that I am building at the school I work at. I was able to get most of the equipment and some of the livestock through writing grants. I plan to use the tank to teach students about saltwater reef tanks. I am going to use it as a catalyst to study different subjects, such as symbiotic relationships, ocean reef habitat, chemistry, aquaculture, and maintaining a reef tank. I have a lot of idea's and directions I want to go in.

Equipment:
29 gallon Aqueon tank
Marineland H.O.T canister filter (circa 2012-oldy but goody, used for carbon, polishing water, and water movement)
AI Nero 3
AI Prime with mount
Gravity fed ATO with float valve connected to a 1 gallon container
Hygger temperture controller
Eheim 75 watt heater
Carribsea Liferock
Sand
Livestock:
2 x Oscellaris clowfish
3 x Multi-color bubble tip anemone
1 X Anemone shrimp
3 x Blue leg hermit crabs
1 x Trochus snail
1 x Orange starfish

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

Last edited:

happyhourzhao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fantastic setup! I'm hoping that bubble tip can split a couple of times and fill that tank up with some nice color and activity. This is something we definitely didn't have growing up in our classroom, I'm excited for these kids who get to enjoy it with you(and the rest of us reefers!).

OP
OP
chris.gries.50

chris.gries.50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fantastic setup! I'm hoping that bubble tip can split a couple of times and fill that tank up with some nice color and activity. This is something we definitely didn't have growing up in our classroom, I'm excited for these kids who get to enjoy it with you(and the rest of us reefers!).
Thanks, I have 3 so far. They are small. The LFS I got them from someone traded in a bunch, so I believe they are prone to split.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Any future stocking plans? This is just an idea, but you could add some fighting conchs, maybe an arrow crab, and some corals? Pulsing xenia is mesmerizing and super easy to care for :)

OP
OP
chris.gries.50

chris.gries.50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Any future stocking plans? This is just an idea, but you could add some fighting conchs, maybe an arrow crab, and some corals? Pulsing xenia is mesmerizing and super easy to care for :)
Currently, I am going to focus on anemones and the clownfish. I do have an anemone shrimp which is really unique. I hope it decides to host in an anemone that is in full view. I have 4 tanks at my house so some coral frags may make it in there. Possibly having students frag coral and measuring growth over time. My goal is to try and keep it simple, because I will have to move it to my house over the summer. Second, whatever I do has a purpose and educational value.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I am going to focus on anemones and the clownfish. I do have an anemone shrimp which is really unique. I hope it decides to host in an anemone that is in full view. I have 4 tanks at my house so some coral frags may make it in there. Possibly having students frag coral and measuring growth over time. My goal is to try and keep it simple, because I will have to move it to my house over the summer. Second, whatever I do has a purpose and educational value.
Sounds great!

OP
OP
chris.gries.50

chris.gries.50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to share an update on my classroom tank. I did my 1st activity with students center around the tank. Yesterday, was the Great American Teach-In (GATI) at our school. This is when we invite the public and parents to come in to school and give presentations about their jobs. A teacher at our school said she didn't have a lot of participation from the parents. I volunteered to give a presentation and activity to her class. I decided I would give a presentation on aquaculturing corals. I live in Florida so this is a sizable business in Florida. I showed them a couple of video's. One from Waterbox on ORA in Fort Pierce, Florida and one on WWC's farm. After the video's I had the students frag a fire echinopora lamellosa I had. They worked with a partner to frag and mount it to a frag plug. We weighed and measured the coral before putting it into the tank. Each month they are going to take measurements and chart the growth.

student fragging coral.png
Resized_20211118_112909.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4903.JPEG

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to share an update on my classroom tank. I did my 1st activity with students center around the tank. Yesterday, was the Great American Teach-In (GATI) at our school. This is when we invite the public and parents to come in to school and give presentations about their jobs. A teacher at our school said she didn't have a lot of participation from the parents. I volunteered to give a presentation and activity to her class. I decided I would give a presentation on aquaculturing corals. I live in Florida so this is a sizable business in Florida. I showed them a couple of video's. One from Waterbox on ORA in Fort Pierce, Florida and one on WWC's farm. After the video's I had the students frag a fire echinopora lamellosa I had. They worked with a partner to frag and mount it to a frag plug. We weighed and measured the coral before putting it into the tank. Each month they are going to take measurements and chart the growth.

student fragging coral.png
Resized_20211118_112909.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4903.JPEG
very creative, love it!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bless you for what you are doing and how you are doing

our kids need more people like you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back