29 gallon reef filtration

nicksreef69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting a 29 gallon reef tank and I’m having trouble figuring out what i should use for filtration. I have an aqueon 70 gallon hang filter and i plan on getting tons of live Rock. Do i need to do more for the filtration? Also does anybody have any advice on power heads? I currently have one that i plan to use. The dimensions of the tank are 30 inches long, 12inches in length and 18 inches high.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Don't know a whole lot about HOB filters, but for power heads, it depends on what u plan on keeping in the tank. If u plan on keeping softies or LPS then you will want a power head that will roughly give u 20 or so turnover, if SPS is in the future then you will want roughly 40 to 50 turnover. I have a 120 gal DT and my turnover is roughly 4000 to 6000 gal an hour. I plan on raising it to over 8000 gal an hour, but I am turning my tank into a sps dominant tank.

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Nick & Welcome ! You could filter with the Aqua Clear 70. Two would be ideal. Need to keep up on swapping put the filters . Along with a bunch of live rock & good flow. Not too many fish. As for power heads, there are so many out there, hard to say. Try it out . If the nutrients levels get too high ,we can go from there. The choice is ultimately up to You . Let us know how it works out . :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nick - welcome to R2R! The live rock and live sand (along with regular water changes) should provide reasonable biological filtration. The HOB filters can be used to provide the mechanical filtration and occasionally chemical filtration if you add activated carbon from time-to-time. In addition to providing healthy flow, the power heads will be an important part of the mechanical filtration process as it suspends debris, etc. in the water column so that the HOB can filter it out. You will want to stay consistent with your water changes and your water quality test and then at some point you may want to look for another filtration solution such as a sump. In the mean time, IMHO this should be a viable solution if you don't go to heavy on fish or corals. Good luck!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you joined us! Welcome to R2R!
Fish bowl head.gif

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting a 29 gallon reef tank and I’m having trouble figuring out what i should use for filtration. I have an aqueon 70 gallon hang filter and i plan on getting tons of live Rock. Do i need to do more for the filtration? Also does anybody have any advice on power heads? I currently have one that i plan to use. The dimensions of the tank are 30 inches long, 12inches in length and 18 inches high.
Welcome, if my tank, only thing I'd change, is add photosynthetic corals that need very little feeding.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! My first tank was a similar sized bow-front. I converted my HOB filter into a small refugium for chaeto :) Worked pretty well, but eventually I ended up buying an actual HOB refugium for the extra space.

I had a single MP10 on mine, worked great!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back