290 TPS RO/DI From LFS

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on a new RO/DI unit that I ordered to arrive, I decided to drop by the LFS I recently found (just moved). I’m about to start a natural cycle of my dry rock from my previous tank, and decided I’d get the RO/DI from the LFS and mix with salt to get started, and use the new unit in a week when I do the first water change. I asked the LFS manager/owner twice what their TDS meter was reading at. First time was told, “it’s always kept below 5” (already curious) and second time that “the filters were just changed today” (I wasn’t born yesterday but gave him benefit of the doubt — then tested the water with my TDS meter when I got home.) ~290 ppm. Terrible.

Is it worth starting the cycle in the brute bucket with power head and heater with this quality RO/DI? I’m going to do a 100% water change in a week and none of this water will make it to the tank, I’ll be able to begin my cycle, but am I risking my tank before it even begins doing so?

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your TDS meter is correct I’d pass on using that water! It’s only going to give you a headache and not a head start. I’d also find a new place to shop at.

I think this is sound advice.

The TDS meter is new, I tested the water multiple times and got the same readings, but not sure it’s accurate or working properly. The tap water in my apartment is reading at ~700 ppm, crazy high (I think illegal), and this complex was only built a few years ago, I expected it to read much lower.

Any way to test the accuracy of the TDS meter?

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I can vouche for really high readings. A couple years ago I had all sorts of trouble with keeping my water free from algal blooms and disease and my angles (freshwater here but the point does apply) completely stopped breeding. I was on very clean -if you can call it that- tap water and had never had a problem. So I researched. What I found out, at least here in Georgia , and I have since found many other states have been authorized by the FDA to add chloramine to the water to reduce the amount of filtration necessary and save on cost, labor whatever. Floride has also been increased a lot. So I thought ok ill let the water age, declorinate, use the fake stuff to remove heavy metals and what not.
Then I found out what the difference between chlorine(very unhealthy) and chloramine was. Its chlorine mixed with, get this , AMMONIA. Wait, doesn't that make a lethal compound?like chlorine gas in ww1. Yes. I took a sample of my tap water to the water department (they said it was good). I wanted test results. Wasn't gonna happen.
This really started me searching for healthy water and not all deionized water I tested was as clean as the water purified through reverse osmosis. You can go to publix and get some decent RO out of a machine in most lobbies but the quality of that even isn't always the same at least here. I've started using spring water its soft I can harden it no huge levels of copper like ideas finding, oh yeah and lead. Anyway ill get off my soapbox but I belive your ridiculously high tests. I wouldn't drink it for fear of cancer.

killr66tb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying the test are wrong my son did warter testing for his science project last year he tested all the bottled waters versus the tap Waters and we found illegal tap water here in our area at the school fountain it was really disappointing but I'm just trying to give him a way to test his meter. It was also interesting to be testing bottled water well over 200 TDS. That would be another good way to test your meter is to buy a few bottled waters if you get an illegal reading still your meter is definitely off. when we tested the bottled waters I think it was only aquafina that had a really good low reading and the rest of them were pretty much 170 to 200 plus.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm agreeing with you to me its flat out scary what they have in the tap water. Now bottled water...wow I'm glad you told me. 200! And in bottled water you say? What brands did he test that were the safest?
Sorry just read aquafina was about the best bit did i read that right at 170tds?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on a new RO/DI unit that I ordered to arrive, I decided to drop by the LFS I recently found (just moved). I’m about to start a natural cycle of my dry rock from my previous tank, and decided I’d get the RO/DI from the LFS and mix with salt to get started, and use the new unit in a week when I do the first water change. I asked the LFS manager/owner twice what their TDS meter was reading at. First time was told, “it’s always kept below 5” (already curious) and second time that “the filters were just changed today” (I wasn’t born yesterday but gave him benefit of the doubt — then tested the water with my TDS meter when I got home.) ~290 ppm. Terrible.

Is it worth starting the cycle in the brute bucket with power head and heater with this quality RO/DI? I’m going to do a 100% water change in a week and none of this water will make it to the tank, I’ll be able to begin my cycle, but am I risking my tank before it even begins doing so?
If your TDS meter is accurate then pass. If you are in a big hurry then go to a bottled water store and test their water. If good then buy some from them. While high tds can be ok, (well water for example), unless you know what exactly is in the water then you risk the contamination of your rock. You can test your meter with a std or with distilled water. With distilled you may not get "0" but you should be close.
We have a new locally bottled rain water. I tested it and got 27 TDS. The rain water off my roof is 11 right now. Somewhere in the collection, processing or bottling they not getting pure rain water.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind what TDS is. We dont know what the dissolved solids are in the water and they can range from simple additives to more harmful products. One of the big brands of bottled water says right on the bottle that they add salt. This will make the TDS clearly above 0.

That said, dont use the water. Dont waste your time. The time you could save will be nothing in comparison to what you could be dealing with later. Go to a local pet store, most sell overpriced bottles of RODI for beta fish and what not. Test that and see what the label says it should be versus what you are reading.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were all helpful responses.

Maybe illegal was not the correct term to use, because as most of you pointed out, local water departments may be adding things to the water that are entirely safe and legal but nonetheless make for high TDS readings. I agree with the consensus that nonetheless, I still don’t want this stuff in my tank, so I dumped it. Checking out another LFS now and will drop by CVS and buy some of their distilled water as well. No excuse for an LFS RO/DI to be coming in so high though. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

I guess I’ll chip some of the coralline off the piece of live rock I bought from them to seed my tank with and throw that away too (I think I caught a glimpse of a single aiptasia also). Don’t think I’ll be seeding my tank with anything except Fritz Turbo Start 900 now. Too risky.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The legal amount of total dissolved solids in tap water is 500

Good to know. I would assume this varies state to state but probably not far off for most places. I also would not put too much weight into this given contamination can happen due to pipes, etc. where the water is being plumbed to a home. Especially given recent water crises like we’ve had in Flint.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sound advice for those relying on their LFS for RO/DI:
(1) Don’t;
(2) If you have to, test TDS before mixing and all parameters before adding to tank.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that as soon as you expose the water to air, such as while its pumping out of the pipe into your bucket, or you take the top off to test TDS, you will not read zero TDS anymore. I wouldn't expect it to go from zero to that high, but it will definitely account for some of it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back