29g Stocking.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 5 days since I got the live rock.

Check out this thread, I explain everything about my cycle: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-level-should-my-nitrates-be.825962/page-2 (especially look on page #2)

Interesting... what I have been told, and what my research shows, is that I should add the Goby first, because they are generally more hardy? Maybe I was told wrong?

Believe me, I would love to get the clowns first, but I thought the goby was much hardier, and should fair better?
The clowns are much, much hardier than a yellow watchman. Clowns are in the same family of fishes as Damsels. Whoever told you that gobies are hardier than clownfish has no idea what they’re talking about (I read your other thread, no one said gobies are hardier, there was a bunch of discussion about whether your tank was cycled and you mentioned that you were getting a goby tomorrow, and then after some back and forth, one person said your tank should be cycled and that you’re good to add the goby).

As far as your tank being cycled, after reading your thread, I would get your water tested by the lfs before adding any live stock. There’s too much confusion and unexplainable test results (I know you said your printer was weird, but that is reason enough not to trust any of the results, plus API is at best unreliable). You taking a living thing into your care, you need to know, not just have an idea, but know that you are putting into a safe environment (and safe doesn’t just mean that it won’t die, but that it will be comfortable and healthy).

If the LFS says your water is good, then get a clown or two. And if not, keep ghost feeding and have them check it again in a week or so. I know you’re excited to get something in the tank, but there really is no rush, and the priority has to be the well-being of the fish.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the LFS says your water is good, then get a clown or two. And if not, keep ghost feeding and have them check it again in a week or so. I know you’re excited to get something in the tank, but there really is no rush, and the priority has to be the well-being of the fish.
Ok, makes sense.

I will take a sample of my water to my LFS, and have them test it. If it’s all good, then I will get 2 clowns!

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some other suggested I get the clowns and the Royal gramma at the same time, due to them both being aggressive. What is your opinion on this?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some other suggested I get the clowns and the Royal gramma at the same time, due to them both being aggressive. What is your opinion on this?
I honestly wouldn’t be too worried. The only aggression I’d be concerned about is between the two clowns (speaking specifically about the clowns). Make sure that they’re both juveniles and that one is bigger than the other (it seems counterintuitive, but it will encourage one to change from male to female - all clownfish are born male - and then they will hopefully be a pair). In Jan I started a new 28g tank and put a pair of clowns first (they were from two different lfs and a few days apart), and I had zero aggression issues and haven’t had any since (well, accept towards me, the bigger clown bites me every time I put my hand in the tank), the two clowns are inseparable. But one is much smaller than the other, and the bigger one has become very protective of the smaller one (pretty sure it’s already changed to female). But anyway, I honestly wouldn’t worry about the clowns being aggressive (again, besides between the two clowns, which is something to worry about regardless of when you add them). If you were getting a maroon or tomato, it might be different, but juvenile ocellaris or perculas aren’t bad.

The Royal Gramma can be aggressive (but depends on the individual, and also usually only towards other similarly shaped/colored fish, ensuring adequate hiding spots/territories will lessen aggression), so adding it either with the clowns or adding it last might be a good idea, probably last because three fish might overwhelm your biological filtration. I would give it a week or two between each addition to allow your biological filter to build up (it’s going to take a while for dry rock to get thoroughly colonized by bacteria).

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn’t be too worried. The only aggression I’d be concerned about is between the two clowns (speaking specifically about the clowns). Make sure that they’re both juveniles and that one is bigger than the other (it seems counterintuitive, but it will encourage one to change from male to female - all clownfish are born male - and then they will hopefully be a pair). In Jan I started a new 28g tank and put a pair of clowns first (they were from two different lfs and a few days apart), and I had zero aggression issues and haven’t had any since (well, accept towards me, the bigger clown bites me every time I put my hand in the tank), the two clowns are inseparable. But one is much smaller than the other, and the bigger one has become very protective of the smaller one (pretty sure it’s already changed to female). But anyway, I honestly wouldn’t worry about the clowns being aggressive (again, besides between the two clowns, which is something to worry about regardless of when you add them). If you were getting a maroon or tomato, it might be different, but juvenile ocellaris or perculas aren’t bad.

The Royal Gramma can be aggressive (but depends on the individual, and also usually only towards other similarly shaped/colored fish, ensuring adequate hiding spots/territories will lessen aggression), so adding it either with the clowns or adding it last might be a good idea, probably last because three fish might overwhelm your biological filtration. I would give it a week or two between each addition to allow your biological filter to build up (it’s going to take a while for dry rock to get thoroughly colonized by bacteria).
Thank you so much!

Headed off to my LFS in a bit, with a sample of water for them to test. If all is good, then I’ll get 2 clowns. (And I will be looking out for what you mentioned)

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into a orchid ditty back right now... saw one at my LFS and watches it for about 5 minutes. Very interesting species!

My research shows me that they are peaceful and docile.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else?
You can keep skunk and fire cleaner shrimp together. No issues there.
Looking into a orchid ditty back right now... saw one at my LFS and watches it for about 5 minutes. Very interesting species!

My research shows me that they are peaceful and docile.
They are peaceful, as far as dottybacks go. The gramma would probably be a better choice for a small tank, although clowns can hold their own.

Now I, looking at blenny’s... anyone have experience with them? They are super cute... I was thinking a lawnmower or a combtooth.
I would get a smaller blenny than a lawnmower for a 29, like a tail spot or bicolor.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep skunk and fire cleaner shrimp together. No issues there.
Awesome! I love fire shrimp, so one of those is definitely on my list.

They are peaceful, as far as dottybacks go. The gramma would probably be a better choice for a small tank, although clowns can hold their own.
So my tank is to small for a dottyback?

I would get a smaller blenny than a lawnmower for a 29, like a tail spot or bicolor.
I do like both of those! I will see what my LFS has in stock next time I go.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is to small for a dottyback?
Oh, it's probably okay for a fridmani/orchid. A 29 is usually 30" long by 12" wide, so there just isn't much room if 2 fishes decide they don't like each other...So the more peaceful your choices are, the better.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, it's probably okay for a fridmani/orchid. A 29 is usually 30" long by 12" wide, so there just isn't much room if 2 fishes decide they don't like each other...So the more peaceful your choices are, the better.
I like Royal grammas, but I like the behavior/body of the orchid better.

Would I be able to do 1x orchid and then 1x blenny?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orchid dottyback should be fine, it wouldn’t bother the clowns. But any other similarly colored/shaped fish it might have an issue with (and it might not, I had an orchid dottyback with clowns and a firefish in a 20 gallon for years and they were fine together). You’d probably be able to keep a blenny, the dottyback, and your clowns together without any aggression issues.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orchid dottyback should be fine, it wouldn’t bother the clowns. But any other similarly colored/shaped fish it might have an issue with (and it might not, I had an orchid dottyback with clowns and a firefish in a 20 gallon for years and they were fine together). You’d probably be able to keep a blenny, the dottyback, and your clowns together without any aggression issues.
Ok! I don't plan to add any more fish after the dottyback and the blenny.

Of course, now I have to decide weither or not I want more coral, or the new fish... ;) ;Hilarious

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back