OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I just get a 6-lined wrasse in place of the Royal gramma if I decide to?

After looking at them at my LFS, they 6-lined wrasse looks much more active.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 6 line would be a little big and aggressive for a 29 gallon, although clowns can hold their own, and the goby probably won't be noticed. A possum wrasse or a pink streak (if you could find one) would be a better alternative to the 6 line.

I like your clowns, goby, gramma plan better.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok!

I have another question: Are most gobys similar in care?

I saw a “fire tail” goby at my LFS, and I really liked the look of it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok!

I have another question: Are most gobys similar in care?

I saw a “fire tail” goby at my LFS, and I really liked the look of it.
Most are pretty easy and fairly small. The "gobies" are one of the largest groups of vertebrates, so there is a bit of diversity. The 'fire tail' might actually be a firefish, which would be a dartfish, and arguably not a goby...I know that's confusing. It is a fairly easy fish to keep as well, as long as your tank is really covered to prevent jumping, and no one is picking on it.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are pretty easy and fairly small. The "gobies" are one of the largest groups of vertebrates, so there is a bit of diversity. The 'fire tail' might actually be a firefish, which would be a dartfish, and arguably not a goby...I know that's confusing. It is a fairly easy fish to keep as well, as long as your tank is really covered to prevent jumping, and no one is picking on it.
Just posted as you were posting, sorry. That was the wrong fish.

Obviously I don’t want to impulse buy anything, but I would live to freely choose what goby I like the look of in person.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But most gobies the same?
Sort of. Like I said, there are lots of different gobies...and some things are called gobies that aren't actually gobies, so it depends. There are watchman gobies, and sleeper gobies, for example. It depends on the species, or at least the group.

For a 29, the yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp would be great.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is my updated list:
  • 2x Clownfish
  • 1x Royal Gramma
  • 1x Goby (watchman or diamond)
  • 2x Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
  • 2x Turbo Snails
Does that look good?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, diamond gobies are a good example, as they are sand sifters and a little more difficult. They don't always take prepared food. I *believe most diamond gobies either starve or jump out.

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is the updated and final stock!
  • 2x Clownfish
  • 1x Watchman Goby
  • 1x Royal Gramma
  • 2x Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
  • 2x Turbo Snail
How about trochus snails?
I've heard turbos are poop machines and bulldoze rocks and corals.
You could go with several small trochus snails. They can get large, but it takes a pretty long time, and most of the large ones are wild caught anyway, so they shouldn't be as available as small trochus snails.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about trochus snails?
I've heard turbos are poop machines and bulldoze rocks and corals.
You could go with several small trochus snails. They can get large, but it takes a pretty long time, and most of the large ones are wild caught anyway, so they shouldn't be as available as small trochus snails.
Added to the list!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll stick with watchman then.
Good move! A 29g is too small for a Diamond Goby! I have a 75g tank and this amount of sand isn't enough to keep my Diamond goby from starving...I have to regularly feed mine specifically to keep him from starving.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move! A 29g is too small for a Diamond Goby! I have a 75g tank and this amount of sand isn't enough to keep my Diamond goby from starving...I have to regularly feed mine specifically to keep him from starving.
Ok, thank you!

——

I plan to get the Goby tomorrow, assuming my LFS has some in stock. :)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you!

——

I plan to get the Goby tomorrow, assuming my LFS has some in stock. :)
You just got live rock a few days ago. If your tank is cycled (and that’s a big if), it’s still not ready for a watchman goby. Personally, I would add the clowns first (assuming your tank is cycled and is converting 2ppm Ammonia within 24 hours). Gobies, especially more sensitive ones like yellow watchman (I would rate them as intermediate in terms of care level), need a mature or at least well established tank. Based on your stock list, this is the order I would add them:

1. Clowns
2. Royal Gramma
3. Yellow Watchman
4. Shrimp

The snails and any other cleanup crew, I would add as soon as you start to see some algae growth, or after you’ve had fish for a week or so. In terms of how long to wait between each fish, I would give at least two weeks.

Also, this is all advice assuming that you aren’t QTing. I think I recall from your other thread that you weren’t planning on QTing - nothing wrong with that so long as you get healthy stock (would be best to observe the fish at the lfs over a few days, put a deposit down and they should hold it for you), and do disease management (part of which is making sure your tank is well cycled, water chemistry is good, feeding a well rounded diet, and by going slow so as not to overwhelm your biological filtration).

I do think you’re probably jumping the gun on adding any fish, but if you’re sure your tank is cycled, go with the clowns first, they’re much, much hardier than a yellow watchman.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just got live rock a few days ago. If your tank is cycled (and that’s a big if), it’s still not ready for a watchman goby.
It’s been 5 days since I got the live rock.

Check out this thread, I explain everything about my cycle: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-level-should-my-nitrates-be.825962/page-2 (especially look on page #2)

I would add the clowns first (assuming your tank is cycled and is converting 2ppm Ammonia within 24 hours). Gobies, especially more sensitive ones like yellow watchman (I would rate them as intermediate in terms of care level), need a mature or at least well established tank. Based on your stock list, this is the order I would add them:
Interesting... what I have been told, and what my research shows, is that I should add the Goby first, because they are generally more hardy? Maybe I was told wrong?

Believe me, I would love to get the clowns first, but I thought the goby was much hardier, and should fair better?

Paheej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Clown, Blue/Green Chromis, and Court Jester Goby in a 29 gal for three years. Loved that Goby, he's very small but will sift your sand and 29 gal is more than enough for him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back