2ft cube one xr15 g6 pro?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 2x2x2 cube and currently have one xr15 g6 pro currently mounted with the rms but considering changing that up and hanging from the ceiling. My plan is LPS/ softie but want to keep options open to go mixed reef as well. My question is how far will the one xr15 get me? Or should I look into maybe adding something else, like the brackets that add two 12” blades?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xr15 g6 that you have is more than good enough for now and in the future when you decide to go mixed adding sps . I had success with a tank that size using a ai prime back in the day . The light you have is more than sufficient.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xr15 g6 that you have is more than good enough for now and in the future when you decide to go mixed adding sps . I had success with a tank that size using a ai prime back in the day . The light you have is more than sufficient.
Awesome that’s what I was hoping for, thanks!

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spread on the Radions is excellent, the par might be lacking a bit. For starters you're probably ok to have LPS and some SPS directly under the lights. I have a xr15 pro g5 on a 50 cm tank (just under the size of yours), and after 2,5 years I've run into the limit of the light (want to go more SPS) and are upgrading to an ATI Straton.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xr15 in a 24" 4 bulb t5 hybrid would have you covered for pretty much anything in the future I would think and be much less $ than adding more led. I run a similar set up (photon rather than radion) in my newest system and everything is really starting to take off. Tank is heavy with sps frags but have a couple of lps on the bottom doing very well also.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xr15 in a 24" 4 bulb t5 hybrid would have you covered for pretty much anything in the future I would think and be much less $ than adding more led. I run a similar set up (photon rather than radion) in my newest system and everything is really starting to take off. Tank is heavy with sps frags but have a couple of lps on the bottom doing very well also.
I’m absolutely horrible at going way overboard on any hobby I get into, and I’m a gear junky that buys gear before I need it and even really understand what it’s for and just fumble with it until I figure it out… I’m really trying to refrain from that with reefing lol I would love to have a cool hybrid T5/LED setup but I’ll probably just stick with the one xr15 for now… even if I did decide to try some SPS at some point I’m not a huge stick head and really gravitate more towards montis… which if I’m not mistaken require even less light than acros?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 XR15 lights on a 36x22x22 tank and am able to manage a SPS dominant mixed reef but the lights are very weak in the par. I have to run 100% intensity just to get borderline SPS par numbers.

So do you want to run the light at 100% or get a XR30 and run 50% with longer life and more complete coverage?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single XR15 G5 over a 20" cube isn't enough to do SPS or high light corals except in the center and up off the bottom of the tank, and even then it would be running at or near 100% for a reasonably long photoperiod. The G6 isn't more powerful, but the light is distributed more evenly, so the area where a high light coral would be really happy is probably even smaller in the center. I eventually moved to an XR30 over that tank and run it around 65% for mixed reef with a bunch of SPS.

It's plenty, and probably is a great choice for softies and LPS, and plenty of photosynthetic stuff will do well under it, but I would basically consider acros and clams out of the question unless you have one or two spots high on the rockwork in the center if you opt for a single XR15.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back