2xg2 lights for a 6foot long tank?

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying my first sump tank. Got an amazing deal on a 72x18x21 inch tank (125 gallons)

the guy selling it to me has 2 radion g2 but someone told me I’m better off with 3 lights because they only cover 24”?

i have no sps yet only LPS and softies. My current tank is 2 months old 55 gallon with 11 fishies and a dozen corals. Running a viparsoectra light.

i need a bigger tank so I can put more tangs (and at the same time so they don’t kill each other).

would it be recommended to run it like the seller did with 2 g2 (assuming it’s 30w ones). Or should I get 2 g4? Or 3? Let me know your thoughts. I’m trying to make a very nice setup and the viparspectra will most likely have to go once I sell my current tank.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, I would run at least 3-lights spanning over the 6' tank. On which brand model, that will depend on you. I currently have 2-Ecotech XR15 on our tank but thinking about using Orphek on the next build.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have only LPS and softies then for now I will say get atleast 3 XR15 gen4. Because you are buying them so dont go for gen 2 or 3 they have much lesser coverage than gen4. In future you can upgrade to a 4th one if you want to do more SPS.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely get away with 2 lights, place them toward the center and accept that the edges of the tank will be dimmly lit.

I feel like people get into their head that the entire tank needs to be uniformly lit which just isn't true. You can put a single prime hd over a 120 and still grow SPS directly under it.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have only LPS and softies then for now I will say get atleast 3 XR15 gen4. Because you are buying them so dont go for gen 2 or 3 they have much lesser coverage than gen4. In future you can upgrade to a 4th one if you want to do more SPS.
Wouldn’t 2 xr30 gen 2 be better than 2 xr15 gen 4? Or is there really that much difference?

I also have a metal hallide that came with my current tank so like if I made some ventilation at the cover of my tank (has a wooden folding top thing). Would that be a good addition to 2x gen 2?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back