3 Fish died overnight

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to saltwater i have had a tank up and running for about 3 months now. 2 Clownfish, 1 Tomini Tang, very small watchman goby, and 1 six line wrasse. Tank also has some bumblebee snails, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, and some astraea snails. Last night i fed the fish they all were fine this morning i woke up to 2 dead clownfish and 1 dead tang. I checked water parameters and they all seem fine. The other fish seem fine, the clownfish looked to have what almost looked like brooklynella on them. The tang didnt show any symptoms and everything else seems fine as of now. I dont have a QT tank for the fish that are left and im kinda just not sure what to do at this point. The tank has alot of coral in it so i dont wanna dose anything crazy that could hurt the corals. To be honest i care more about the corals than i do the fish. Just looking for some advise on what to do moving forward how long do i wait to add more fish ? etc.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to remove the one remaining fish and allow the tank to remain fallow for 6 to 8 weeks. In the meantime, you could set up a qt and process new fish to add after the fallow period.

Edit: I believe you have 2 fish left. You can also put them in Qt with new fish. A 20 gallon tank is all you need for QT.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank?
i have a 13.5 gallon fluval setup now while im getting everything ready for my 90 gallon. So the small fluval has a hydra 32 on it but its working really well at growing coral. There is like no shot in hell im able to get the other 2 fishout of the tank without ripping all the rock out.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to remove the one remaining fish and allow the tank to remain fallow for 6 to 8 weeks. In the meantime, you could set up a qt and process new fish to add after the fallow period.

Edit: I believe you have 2 fish left. You can also put them in Qt with new fish. A 20 gallon tank is all you need for QT.
im telling you i have no way to get these last 2 fish out of the tank without like ripping apart all my rock work and coral. Is is possible for the fish that are left to be a carrier of disease without dying ? like lets say the disease takes a few weeks to run its coarse could i just ADD a few weeks on the 6-8 week period and assume they are just ok ?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing and see where this is going.
Just did this in the case of one fish with ick, 12 without.
I too can not remove anyone without big damage.

6 weeks now, blue tang has no spots, everything else not affected.

If it is a parasite infection, it usually does not kill every fish if those fish are strong.

I’m doing what your thinking because I had no choice anyways. So far, luck on my side.

I made no changes to anything.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 13.5 gallon fluval setup now while im getting everything ready for my 90 gallon. So the small fluval has a hydra 32 on it but its working really well at growing coral. There is like no shot in hell im able to get the other 2 fishout of the tank without ripping all the rock out.
You had those 4 fish in a 13.5 gal tank ?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say they looked like they had brook. Can you post a picture of the dead fish (if you have one) for the fish medics? Im wondering if its velvet cause that acts fast

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are all babies, being moved into my 90 g in the next month or so. The watchman goby is like .5 inches
Each of the fish listed have min requirements much larger than the size they were in .

A pair of clowns would work . But tang?

Reminds me of the last can is sardines I opened to share with the cat .

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish are stressed they are more susceptible to sicknesses like ich and velvet. Im sure that tang stressed the heck out and probably passed from stress and or velvet if thats what you had. Clowns were probably stressed too. Tangs, even babies, need a big tank and a 13 gallon would cause them to stress themselves to death unfortunately

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each of the fish listed have min requirements much larger than the size they were in .

A pair of clowns would work . But tang?

Reminds me of the last can is sardines I opened to share with the cat .
the tang was a Tomini and it was about an inch long, it was smaller than the clowns and it just minded his business all the fish got along perfect with zero aggression. I have a 125 with africian cichlids so i very aware of seeing how aggression works among them and they were all fine. Even the clowns were too young to even go at each other The plan was never for all of them to live their whole life in a nano tank it was a small tank i setup with my kid while i built the 4 foot 90g

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with that bioload unless you were doing 100% water changes like every day probably were bad too. Did you test with API? Not a good kit. Posting the exact results will help the fish medics determine if water quality was an issue as I suspect it is

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish are stressed they are more susceptible to sicknesses like ich and velvet. Im sure that tang stressed the heck out and probably passed from stress and or velvet if thats what you had. Clowns were probably stressed too. Tangs, even babies, need a big tank and a 13 gallon would cause them to stress themselves to death unfortunately
There was ZERO aggression so i dont see how there would be any stress? Plenty of hiding spots for all the fish

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with that bioload unless you were doing 100% water changes like every day probably were bad too. Did you test with API? Not a good kit. Posting the exact results will help the fish medics determine if water quality was an issue as I suspect it is
no i dont test with api i have the hanna stuff

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tang was a Tomini and it was about an inch long, it was smaller than the clowns and it just minded his business all the fish got along perfect with zero aggression. I have a 125 with africian cichlids so i very aware of seeing how aggression works among them and they were all fine. Even the clowns were too young to even go at each other The plan was never for all of them to live their whole life in a nano tank it was a small tank i setup with my kid while i built the 4 foot 90g
There was ZERO aggression so i dont see how there would be any stress? Plenty of hiding spots for all the fish
Stress doesnt mean aggression in saltwater. That tang was in way too small of a tank even if the plan was just for a week. Tangs need room to swim, they dont they stress out and get ich or velvet and die from it and pass it to all other fish. You have to remember your freshwater tank with your fish is very different than salt, and especially when it comes to tangs

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-25% water changes weekly without any issues of nitrate/ammonia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back