3 minute rule - am I feeding too much?

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm currently feeding my small humu trigger and lawnmower blenny one frozen Mysis cube in the morning and half a 2-forumla mix of things including algae cube in the evening (with the odd krill thrown in during the day). I am aware that in theory I should remove all food that hasn't been eaten within 3 minutes. I have been ignoring this to fatten them up after I got hem (because especially the humu was super skinny). Also, especially the Mysis get thrown around and distributed throughout the tank by the filter flow pretty fast, so my humu spends his better half of his feeding time chasing shrimps instead of actually eating - which takes away from his net eating time, no? I also "spoon-feed" them, putting just a bit of the cube in step by step to avoid too many mysis ending up in rock crevices. Thus, feeding probably takes a good 10 minutes all together.

I was wondering if I should reduce the food load to stick closer with the 3-minute rule? How, though, considering the food gets thrown around and the fish have to spend some time chase it?

Thank you :)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a lot of food for two fish, yes.

I don't believe in any of the timed feeding stuff, seems far to arbitrary. I simply add what I think they'll eat, this generally takes the fish about five minutes to complete (done twice a day). They also get a whole clam (littleneck) and some algae on a clip that stays in there for an hour or two.

Edit: I feed 10 fish about three-four cubes (LRS) per day plus the clam and algae.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input!

@eatbreakfast 10-20 seconds? :eek: That doesn't seem like a lot of time, especially considering food (mysis) being flown around and the humu spending his better part of that time chasing shrimp and chewing/spitting what he's caught. He'd be able to eat 2 or 3 tiny mysis in that time, if at all.

I know that the 3-minute rule or whatever rule is mostly concerned with uneaten food rotting. My fish eat everything I put in and what they don't eat because it gets flown out of sight, they'll find later. They spend their day looking for food ;) But I also read that captive fish usually eat whatever you give them and that you can overfeed them, with concerns not only being the bioload on the filter but also the fish getting fat? So, even the 45-second rule by @Dennis McGrath wouldn't work because that's basically what I'm already doing. Feed a little, wait until everything is eaten, feed some more - until the cube is gone.
My filter seems to be fine. 2 months fish-in and other than a ammonia spike in the beginning (because I think the initial cycle wasn't finished yet), nothing more of concern as far as I noticed (I do have some algae that I'm still fighting, though).

They grow faster if you feed them more, too, right?

I'll cut the morning ration and see how it goes - starting today. Humu's already done and still eyeing the surface for more food, oops :rolleyes:
I still need to find clams - that's been on my list for a while, now. I only ever see seasoned at the local grocery store :confused:

btw, my "algae eater" goes crazy for the mysis :rolleyes: (bad example because I accidentally threw in more than I usually do at once :oops: was still munched away all as fast as they can with the humu being a messy eater )

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fine amount - Doesn't look nearly enough to be a full cube to me.

Because it isn't. That's the first spoon of maybe 3-4 (out of a full cube and of course depending on how much I do on one spoon which is usually less than that)? So I shouldn't feed more than what is that amount total?

Nothing else for it to eat.
There are algae and he goes grazing during the day. He's also getting that other cube which contains algae. He has a fat belly (not bloated). He just recently started to actively go for the shrimp, before he would catch what floated by his rock, and clean up after the humu. I also read that LWB actually are detritivores rather than algaevores, but not completely sure where I read that and whether it's true or not.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it isn't. That's the first spoon of maybe 3-4 (out of a full cube and of course depending on how much I do on one spoon which is usually less than that)? So I shouldn't feed more than what is that amount total?

There are algae and he goes grazing during the day. He's also getting that other cube which contains algae. He has a fat belly (not bloated). He just recently started to actively go for the shrimp, before he would catch what floated by his rock, and clean up after the humu. I also read that LWB actually are detritivores rather than algaevores, but not completely sure where I read that and whether it's true or not.

I feed about that amount that is in the video two times per day. I have seven small fish and feed about 2/3 (two-thirds, not two to three) cubes per day. Also to help your Blenny I would pick up some Spirulina Brine for him, and/or some veggie pellets or flake.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about the food blowing around the tank and creating excess nutrients a lot of our customers have switched to placing frozen food in an algae clip. It is very similar to this video where the fish are eating it as it thaws in the tongs. More videos like it are on our website.

Good luck, I love the Humu Humu and he is one of my favorites! I've had this one since he was 3/4" long.

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 3.03.54 PM.png

Rp.McMurphy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my pumps off when I feed. Two clowns, a small chromis and a small diamond goby all share about s third of a cube of mysis a day. They're done in about a minute.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a newb question, but if you only feed what the fish can eat quickly then what do your crabs, snails, and other inverts eat? I thought you were supposed to feed the clean-up crew too?

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a newb question, but if you only feed what the fish can eat quickly then what do your crabs, snails, and other inverts eat? I thought you were supposed to feed the clean-up crew too?

No clean-up crew because of triggerfish :) In my case. But really good question for those who do have a CUC!

@Potatohead the blenny's getting spirulina and brine with the other half of a cube I feed in the evening :)

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 cube every other day.. Nori to my tangs. Food floats all over. I turn pumps off and crabs eat also! I think all food is gone quickly.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife frowns upon the 5 second rule. I don’t know what she would do if I told her there was a 30 second rule floating around out there!

Seriously though, I have always put a good squirt in that will last about 1 minute. I feed a homemade mix of live sea stuff that has been run through the blender and added cubes of mysis.

I squirt it right in front of my gyre so it gets spread very quickly throughout the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use a small solo cup with RO water and add a small piece of Frozen. I then spoon feed.

Go by this rule: It is Easier to add food rather than to remove it.

Feed very small portions in morning then evening. Will reduce pollutants in tank also

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back