3-month-old Reef Tank with No Filtration of Any Kind and NO Water Changes. ADVICE FROM NATURALIST REEF HOBBYISTS WANTED

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thought I’d share my experience thus far in the hobby. I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for a while but my 2.5g nano tank is my first saltwater tank. Was looking to do it on a budget and to rely on natural processes as much as possible. The only equipment I use is a low-PAR white dominant light with blue, as well as a blower and heater. My tank is very high-flow and so far I’ve only introduced two easy corals in, GSP and zoas. Both have been doing well and while I haven’t necessarily seen growth, they definitely seem more vibrant. Currently have 2 dwarf blue leg hermits and 3 astrea snails. I used live sand and live rock, as well as bio-spira to kickstart nitrification. The tank has had enough growth of algae and diatoms to sustain my few occupants easily. I direct-feed my coral 2-3 times a week. So far I’m very pleased with my tank, I have found multiple types of tiny critters I cannot identify, as well as things like peaceful bristle worms and POSSIBLY copepods. My main philosophy for the tank has been to take a less controlling approach and a more natural approach, allowing things in the tank to sort itself out. When I had an algae bloom, I added the snails, and now the tank looks better than it did before. If anyone is interested in seeing the state of the tank, I’m more than happy to post some photos. Other than that I would LOVE advice from any other hobbyist running a similar setup without ANY filtration or water changes. Things I’m looking to know would be - what should I add to the tank to boost the overall health of the ecosystem? How can you sustain copepod populations in your tank? Are feather-dusters good for clearing up “dusty water?” Etc. Any advice, tips, comments, and questions about my nano tank are much appreciated.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the addiction, I have been hooked for 53 years.

The micro fauna & fana in your live rock & live sand is your biological filter. Instead of nutrient export, you have entered the nutrient recycling zone.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thought I’d share my experience thus far in the hobby. I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for a while but my 2.5g nano tank is my first saltwater tank. Was looking to do it on a budget and to rely on natural processes as much as possible. The only equipment I use is a low-PAR white dominant light with blue, as well as a blower and heater. My tank is very high-flow and so far I’ve only introduced two easy corals in, GSP and zoas. Both have been doing well and while I haven’t necessarily seen growth, they definitely seem more vibrant. Currently have 2 dwarf blue leg hermits and 3 astrea snails. I used live sand and live rock, as well as bio-spira to kickstart nitrification. The tank has had enough growth of algae and diatoms to sustain my few occupants easily. I direct-feed my coral 2-3 times a week. So far I’m very pleased with my tank, I have found multiple types of tiny critters I cannot identify, as well as things like peaceful bristle worms and POSSIBLY copepods. My main philosophy for the tank has been to take a less controlling approach and a more natural approach, allowing things in the tank to sort itself out. When I had an algae bloom, I added the snails, and now the tank looks better than it did before. If anyone is interested in seeing the state of the tank, I’m more than happy to post some photos. Other than that I would LOVE advice from any other hobbyist running a similar setup without ANY filtration or water changes. Things I’m looking to know would be - what should I add to the tank to boost the overall health of the ecosystem? How can you sustain copepod populations in your tank? Are feather-dusters good for clearing up “dusty water?” Etc. Any advice, tips, comments, and questions about my nano tank are much appreciated.
I've had quite a few nanos and although I don't make it my absolute goal to avoid anything unnatural, I don't like spending money on unnecessary supplements personally. You might be surprised to hear this , but it would actually be odd to have anything more than maybe a very small HOB filter onna 2.5 gallon tank. Unless you need extra flow for whatever reason there's not really any need. Also it isn't heavily stocked so your trace nutrients aren't going to be deleted quickly. Feeding copepods is simple, just add a few drops of phytoplankton a night and the population will thrive. Feather dusters are filter feeders but if your water was cloudy that wouldnt be good and I wouldn't suggest trying to have them clean it. Btw, this might sound crazy but for a while I actually kept a Greissenger Goby in my 2.5 gallon tank since they eat copepods and he did great the entire time he was in there which was a good while! I just dosed a little ohyto every night. I never should have taken him out of that tank!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rcard01

Check out this nutrient recycling thread:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, unless you have a reason for trying to build a high population of copepods, there nit really a point imo. They won't all die, just decrease in population size. I fed phytoplankton to keep a higher copepod population to feed the Greissenger Goby. I never once fed him directly!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, there's actually a lot more that you can do with a tank that size than people usually think...hold on and I'll find an old picture of mine...

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google “glass jar reef” lots of cool little tanks and tips on how to maintain them.

I did one for a while, the jar I chose was not a good one, I had trouble keeping up removing the coralline.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how it looked at one point...
IMG_20230303_155531.jpg IMG_20230303_202413.jpg IMG_20230303_165735.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had quite a few nanos and although I don't make it my absolute goal to avoid anything unnatural, I don't like spending money on unnecessary supplements personally. You might be surprised to hear this , but it would actually be odd to have anything more than maybe a very small HOB filter onna 2.5 gallon tank. Unless you need extra flow for whatever reason there's not really any need. Also it isn't heavily stocked so your trace nutrients aren't going to be deleted quickly. Feeding copepods is simple, just add a few drops of phytoplankton a night and the population will thrive. Feather dusters are filter feeders but if your water was cloudy that wouldnt be good and I wouldn't suggest trying to have them clean it. Btw, this might sound crazy but for a while I actually kept a Greissenger Goby in my 2.5 gallon tank since they eat copepods and he did great the entire time he was in there which was a good while! I just dosed a little ohyto every night. I never should have taken him out of that tank!!
Exactly the type of stuff I like. Not that I mind feeding, but I find it much more satisfying and not to mention it’s probably healthier to be able to have your tank’s inhabitants mostly feeding on what’s inside the tank.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I couldn't find a full tank shot because I have so many pictures.

I applaud you on trying to do things as naturally as you reasonably can. That's what I've always strived for with my tank and always enjoyed doing things that way. Btw, add a couple sun corals if you don't mind feeding them daily or at least every 2 days! I personally really enjoy feeding each head a whole piece of music each and watching as they literally open their mouth wider that you'd think possible before swallowing it whole! It's really cool to watch and care for them imo.

OP
OP
R

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip feeding the 2 corals you have. Neither one requires direct feeding.
Yeah I know both majority photosynthesize. I could definitely cut back to once a week but I only ever use zooplankton as it’s highly beneficial to corals across the board from what I’ve read.

OP
OP
R

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rcard01

Check out this nutrient recycling thread:

Thank you exactly the kind of niche stuff I’m looking for.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly the type of stuff I like. Not that I mind feeding, but I find it much more satisfying and not to mention it’s probably healthier to be able to have your tank’s inhabitants mostly feeding on what’s inside the tank.
It is healthy to give supplemental feedings to all corals! They just don't require it to live the way NPS corals do.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know though, if you aren't doing water changes but you are feeding them, your nutrients will build up fairly quickly in such a small tank and it's best to try to keep the in a good range even if the corals are particularly sensitive species.

OP
OP
R

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I couldn't find a full tank shot because I have so many pictures.

I applaud you on trying to do things as naturally as you reasonably can. That's what I've always strived for with my tank and always enjoyed doing things that way. Btw, add a couple sun corals if you don't mind feeding them daily or at least every 2 days! I personally really enjoy feeding each head a whole piece of music each and watching as they literally open their mouth wider that you'd think possible before swallowing it whole! It's really cool to watch and care for them imo.
Awesome I’ll definitely look into those. And yeah I’ve been thinking about getting the smallest goby I could find at the couple LFS’s I go to. Other than that I just want to make sure my “ecosystem” so to speak is complete so that I don’t have to worry about too much build-up of any particular chemical or anything. I just don’t want to skip a step and have all my progress come crashing down. I will definitely be getting some live phyto like ocean magik unless you have a better recommendation. As I said I’m pretty sure there are copepods as I can see tiny white creatures especially around zooplankton when I feed the corals.

OP
OP
R

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know though, if you aren't doing water changes but you are feeding them, your nutrients will build up fairly quickly in such a small tank and it's best to try to keep the in a good range even if the corals are particularly sensitive species.
My plan has been to get a water sample tested at my LFS next time I’m there, to see what they think about nutrients and all. My main plan is just to put in some macro-algae if phosphates and stuff are building up. My existing bacteria should keep ammonium from building up though right?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I’ll definitely look into those. And yeah I’ve been thinking about getting the smallest goby I could find at the couple LFS’s I go to. Other than that I just want to make sure my “ecosystem” so to speak is complete so that I don’t have to worry about too much build-up of any particular chemical or anything. I just don’t want to skip a step and have all my progress come crashing down. I will definitely be getting some live phyto like ocean magik unless you have a better recommendation. As I said I’m pretty sure there are copepods as I can see tiny white creatures especially around zooplankton when I feed the corals.
I'd still recommend testing nitrates and phosphates maybe once a week depending on how much you're feeding...also keep in mind that when the phytoplankton dies, it's not going to be removing nutrients but instead adding to them ...just slightly though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back