3-month-old Reef Tank with No Filtration of Any Kind and NO Water Changes. ADVICE FROM NATURALIST REEF HOBBYISTS WANTED

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan has been to get a water sample tested at my LFS next time I’m there, to see what they think about nutrients and all. My main plan is just to put in some macro-algae if phosphates and stuff are building up. My existing bacteria should keep ammonium from building up though right?
Ammonia should never be a problem after a tank is cycled... especially if you don't have fish

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my aquariums like this, I too have a filterless 2.5g as well as my main display that is run purely on occasional skimming and live rock. I occasionally dose elements that get low, but water changes are rare unless there's a clear issue going on that needs fixing. I'm only able to do this due to a massive population of scavengers and cleanup critters that keep the nutrient cycle moving.
3 years going strong.
PXL_20231109_155524599.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing...do you have an ATO? It really helps keep salinity stable without having to worry...

OP
OP
R

Rcard01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my aquariums like this, I too have a filterless 2.5g as well as my main display that is run purely on occasional skimming and live rock. I occasionally dose elements that get low, but water changes are rare unless there's a clear issue going on that needs fixing. I'm only able to do this due to a massive population of scavengers and cleanup critters that keep the nutrient cycle moving.
3 years going strong.
PXL_20231109_155524599.jpg
Very cool. Definitely recognize some people go too heavy on the fish-load without accounting for scavengers. I’ve come to view crabs, snails, and shrimp as saviors for my tank. Just wondering, I don’t need exact parameters, but what kind of flow do you keep in the tanks? Strong and irregular or?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent ATO might run $80 or so...I haven't been back to America in like 4 years so not. Exactly sure but I have an Ice Cap brand ATO that costed around that and use it for my 5 gallon now. Even a little evaporation in a tank that size can be significant since it not only raises salinity but concentrates everything in the water.

Funny enough, I'm actually setting my 5 gallon up again today! All live ocean rock from Indonesia and I'm going to add 3 tester acro frags (still beautiful though) and these 3 Scolys I thought were pretty cool!
1700235349345.jpg 1700234654149.jpg 1700234639878.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Definitely recognize some people go too heavy on the fish-load without accounting for scavengers. I’ve come to view crabs, snails, and shrimp as saviors for my tank. Just wondering, I don’t need exact parameters, but what kind of flow do you keep in the tanks? Strong and irregular or?
I use an irregular Gyre flow to keep detritus suspended for my coral to consume. The higher the better IMO, there should be spots on the sandbed where the sand constantly shifts a little bit.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an irregular Gyre flow to keep detritus suspended for my coral to consume. The higher the better IMO, there should be spots on the sandbed where the sand constantly shifts a little bit.
I just prefer to siphon the sandbed personally since in such a small tank you don't generally have much detritus buildup unless you're way overfeeding. He has a 2.5 gallon I believe.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just prefer to siphon the sandbed personally since in such a small tank you don't generally have much detritus buildup unless you're way overfeeding. He has a 2.5 gallon I believe.
True, I didn't think about the size... In my own 2.5g I actually have low to zero flow, though I still stand that it should be as high as the inhabitants can take. Not only does it reduce detritus buildup, but it also keeps the top layer of sand more oxygenated than it would be normally. I avoid siphoning when I can because it disturbs the sand's biological filter.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan has been to get a water sample tested at my LFS next time I’m there, to see what they think about nutrients and all. My main plan is just to put in some macro-algae if phosphates and stuff are building up. My existing bacteria should keep ammonium from building up though right?
With respect to macro algae in your display, in my experience, you will have to prune it and remove it as nutrient export.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I didn't think about the size... In my own 2.5g I actually have low to zero flow, though I still stand that it should be as high as the inhabitants can take. Not only does it reduce detritus buildup, but it also keeps the top layer of sand more oxygenated than it would be normally. I avoid siphoning when I can because it disturbs the sand's biological filter.
So many different ways to run a reef.

Run reverse flow undergravel filter to oxygenate sandbed.. I use aroggonite to assist with buffering and trace mineral makeup.

Consider detritus as “energy rich” food for the microbial loop, then stir the top inch of 2” aroggonite sandbed to feed detrivores (micro fauna & fana) to the filter feeders.

Here is what @Paul B says about MULM:

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back