3 tangs in 130 gallons?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. I have a 130 gallon tank (5ft) with a hippo tang and a yellow tang. I am thinking of adding a powder blue tang and maybe a foxface. The other fish in the tank are 2 clowns, 3 gobies, 2 cardinals, 2 mandarins, a valentini puffer, a lawnmower blenny and 3 wrasses. Here is also a picture of the tank lay-out and swimming space. Thank you

tanklight.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***DISCLAIMER***

I am not THE TANG POLICE!!!

That being said, IMHO, that will be too many tangs in too small of an area. If you wanted to stay with the zebrasoma or bristletooth sp. than you might get away with it, but the both the hippo and powder blue are bigtime swimmers and also known to be prone to stress induced problems including both aggression and disease.

jm.02

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imageproxy.gif

I'm starting to find my views of tangs going more towards being tang police as I get older, but the Hippo and a Powder Blue will both need a bigger tank at some point IMO. The yellow and foxface will both be fine in that size tank.
With the size of your tank being at least close to big enough I'd think you'd still be fine as long as you were willing to re-home the fish when they get too large.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back