3 wrasses too many?

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading to a 150. I'm still building a stand and buying appropriate equipment, so adding them is still some time away. I have 3 wrasses in mind, and even though they are listed as peaceful, I don't want to take any chances. Let me know if you think they will work together or which one to eliminate. It isn't the typical 6ft tank, it is 4ft long, 3ft deep and 2ft wide. I plan to add all 3 at once so they are on equal ground.

Wrasse 1- vroliks wrasse ( he has to stay, the other 2 are negotiable)
Wrasse 2- red lined wrasse
Wrasse 3- pink margin fairy wrasse.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work, the only concern would be the two Halichoeres. I've actually kept all 3 of those at the same time in a 72x24 tank without problem. The red line is smaller and milder than the Vrolik's but I never had problems between the two.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be unlucky to get problems with that mix. Halichoeres in general are very peaceful apart from a few species so don't cause many conflicts but occasionally one doesn't read the behaviour book.

And to answer your question, 3 wrasses too many? A lot on here would say 3 is far to little, there are some serious wrasse addicts about.

jordlr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be unlucky to get problems with that mix. Halichoeres in general are very peaceful apart from a few species so don't cause many conflicts but occasionally one doesn't read the behaviour book.

And to answer your question, 3 wrasses too many? A lot on here would say 3 is far to little, there are some serious wrasse addicts about.

Was going to say the same. Many tanks in the UK the same size as yours are pushing 10+ wrasse with no issues

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never claimed to be lucky

I think the addicts on here have larger tanks than me so less chance of conflict. But I'm very happy the mix should work. With a bigger tank comes a new stock list, which means more research lol

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g 60x30x20 ,, after tomorrow ,, I will have 9 Wrasses in it ,, if the Red Line Wrasse is a 6 or 8 line Wrasse don't get it ,, there are just to many nay sayers in the Forum on those two fish ,,

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Guilty as charged sir (6 fairy, 2 flasher, 1 Halichoeres, 1 leopard). Not quite through. :D

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guilty as charged sir (6 fairy, 2 flasher, 1 Halichoeres, 1 leopard). Not quite through. :D
Ditto. (4 fairy, 1 flasher, 1 macropharyngodon). Plus a couple in route. Probably gonna get me in trouble too.

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g 60x30x20 ,, after tomorrow ,, I will have 9 Wrasses in it ,, if the Red Line Wrasse is a 6 or 8 line Wrasse don't get it ,, there are just to many nay sayers in the Forum on those two fish ,,

Yea, I've read enough horror stories on them, they would never make their way into my tank lol the red line isn't either of those. Here is a pic of one.
Screenshot_20191007-191522_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 wrasses so far in our 250 and 5 other species. No issues at all except replenishment of CUC time to time.

I figured I would have to replace the CUC. I
14 wrasses so far in our 250 and 5 other species. No issues at all except replenishment of CUC time to time.

I figured I would be replacing the CUC.
Do they go after snails or crabs more? And do the leave the larger turbo snails alone?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 wrasses in my 170. When I added the third wrasse (blue star leopard) my solar fairy wrasses made friends but my lime wrasse (Halechoeres) began bullying during the first feed. I put in an acrylic fish trap to catch the lime wrasse which did not work, however he was too scared to go near it which gave the leopard wrasse a week to settle in. After pulling the trap out of the tank I’ve had no issues.

If you add all at once then doubt you would have problems.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would have to replace the CUC. I

I figured I would be replacing the CUC.
Do they go after snails or crabs more? And do the leave the larger turbo snails alone?

Snails and crabs, turbos and conch's are fine. unless a snail winds up on its back of course they will definitely do the shark circle and occasional strikes. I've never seen a snail body floating around in the tank. Definitely not like you see crabs pulled from shells floating around, doesn't mean they haven't though- just not many at all if that is the case.

Now and then I throw in feeder fish and its an absolutely **** show watching them dart around hunting it.. savage actually. Our puffer doesn't even try he's not nearly fast enough to even make an effort.

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and crabs, turbos and conch's are fine. unless a snail winds up on its back of course they will definitely do the shark circle and occasional strikes. I've never seen a snail body floating around in the tank. Definitely not like you see crabs pulled from shells floating around, doesn't mean they haven't though- just not many at all if that is the case.

Now and then I throw in feeder fish and its an absolutely **** show watching them dart around hunting it.. savage actually. Our puffer doesn't even try he's not nearly fast enough to even make an effort.

We have our own national geographic channel in our living rooms! That would be quite the sight.

I have 1 snail that will definitely be lunch. It falls on its back at least once a day, in the same exact spot.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back