30 gallon cube stocking list

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 20 gallon invert tank, and I moved all the rock/sand over to this 30 cube a few months ago. It has had a Kupang damsel(also known as Azure damsel I think) and a Pygmy Angelfish in it for a couple months. Has several rock flower and bubbletip anemones in the tank if that matters, barely any coral though and not planning to add coral.

Currently it has:

Kupang/Azure Damsel(Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Pygmy angelfish
x2 Skunk Cleaner shrimp
Assorted clean up crew. I think I have 10 astrea turbans and 10 hermits? Something like that.

What I would like to add:
x2 Fiji Barberi clown(it is like a dwarf tomato clown that reaches around 3 inches or so I am told)
x1 midas blenny(would be open to a different blenny but I do love the midas)
x1 Lantern Basslet
x1pearly jawfish(willing to drop this)

How does this sound? Can the jawfish fit? Maybe the jawfish and something else needs to be dropped?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would nix the Fiji Barberi clownfish (as they can grow up to 4.5") - regular ocellaris would be a better choice. All the other fish should be fine in a tank that size. Blennies love barnacles!

OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would nix the Fiji Barberi clownfish (as they can grow up to 4.5") - regular ocellaris would be a better choice. All the other fish should be fine in a tank that size. Blennies love barnacles!
It was my understanding they are actually smaller than Ocellaris.

Fishbase lists them as around 3.3 inches which is smaller than ocellaris which they list as 4 inches. Liveaquaria lists them as 3 1/2 inches. The only source I can find to the contrary is "sea and reef aquaculture"

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my understanding they are actually smaller than Ocellaris.

Fishbase lists them as around 3.3 inches which is smaller than ocellaris which they list as 4 inches. Liveaquaria lists them as 3 1/2 inches. The only source I can find to the contrary is "sea and reef aquaculture"
I would not trust online for sizes on fish since it can be all over the place. It all depends. Some fish stay tiny others don't.
But you should be mindful of aggression since two of those clowns in a 30 will eventually cause issues since they will be very territorial to any other fish.
I would say a jawfish would be perfect. Just make the necessary accomadations for them. Give them some rubble to make a den, and areas where they can make a vertical burrow. (Small rocks and or barnacles can help).

Midas blennys get kinda big so i'd be hesitant on them for a 30. Tailspots are amazing characters.
Firefish are amazing.
I do not know much about Lantern basslets but they seem fine. I have two chalk basslets, and I love them. They are very peaceful.
You could also consider a royal gramma.
Petco also usually has captive bred Fang Blennys which are pretty cool.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back