30 gallon reef fish suggestion

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank with some corals and a 20 gallon refugium. I currently have 2 clown fish and a diamond goby, and was thinking about adding 1 or 2 more fish. Since the clowns are always in the water column, and the goby is always on the sand, I was wanting to get a fish that will swim through the rocks. Not necessarily a type that will perch on rocks, but the type that swims all over the tank and through the rock work.

Anyone have any suggestions for such a fish?

Also wondering if there were any yellow colored fish I could add. I was looking at clown gobies, but read that they might nip at SPS.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good blenny is always fun! A midas blenny in particular is the yellow color you're looking for. Bicolor, tailspot, starry, or algae blennies would also be cool. You could also try a Royal Gramma, which is a beautiful purple/yellow color.

OP
OP
S

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies look pretty cool. Wondering if blennies and my diamond goby would have issues since they're kind of similar in shape and maybe have similar territories?

kylebeano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow striped blenny is available captive bread from multiple sources now! Has been a star in my tanks. Can defend itself from the clowns with its fang if needed too.
20200916_233206.jpg

VideoCapture_20200922-105744.jpg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow assessors are great for what you describe. They are always swimming thru caves and overhangs, "assessing" them out, hence the name. They are good at swimming upside down so don't be alarmed. Prefers meaty good so make sure you feed it mysis often.

Yellow watchman gobie could also work if you just want yellow, but they perch.

RobinV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 clowns, a yellow watchman goby, and a six line wrasse. The six line isn’t yellow but it’s gorgeous and I feel is the only one of the bunch that truly appreciates all the time I spent on my rock work. Just zooms and zooms in and out. Everyone gets on fine.

OP
OP
S

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow assessors are great for what you describe. They are always swimming thru caves and overhangs, "assessing" them out, hence the name. They are good at swimming upside down so don't be alarmed. Prefers meaty good so make sure you feed it mysis often.

Yellow watchman gobie could also work if you just want yellow, but they perch.
Yellow assessors look awesome. Do you know what places would sell them? I only see them on Live Aquaria.

OP
OP
S

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 clowns, a yellow watchman goby, and a six line wrasse. The six line isn’t yellow but it’s gorgeous and I feel is the only one of the bunch that truly appreciates all the time I spent on my rock work. Just zooms and zooms in and out. Everyone gets on fine.
Haha the perfect way to phrase it - I want a fish that appreciates all the effort I put into stacking those rocks!

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the most colorful of fish, but the white spotted pygmy filefish are pretty neat. Just added one. He’s all over the place picking at rocks. Very fun personality.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow striped blenny is available captive bread from multiple sources now! Has been a star in my tanks. Can defend itself from the clowns with its fang if needed too.
20200916_233206.jpg

VideoCapture_20200922-105744.jpg
I have one of these in a 40b. Fantastic fish, eats like a pig and stands his ground to the clowns and hawkfish.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow assessors look awesome. Do you know what places would sell them? I only see them on Live Aquaria.
I got mine from my LFS. Its one of the rarer fish and I pounced on it the one time I saw my LFS carrying a few. (Cost me 100bux)

Probably best is to either ask your local reef group and ask ur fav LFS to see if they can source one for you.

If you want to be patient and wait for one you can use to time to really research how to properly caring it and what it needs in the tank (ie, plenty of caves, no incompatible tank mates etc..) They are not then easiest to keep and can be shy if there are aggressive tank mates but is well worth it if you can successful to keep one bc their amazing color.

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can second this, mine is always swimming around in and out of the rocks. Very fun to watch.

OP
OP
S

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of a royal gramma, but is it more of a perching type fish, or a swimmer?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro
I really like the look of a royal gramma, but is it more of a perching type fish, or a swimmer?
Royal Grammas never really perch ime. They're definitely swimmers. Sometimes they stay in one spot, and mine runs into a cave if I scare it, but it's out the large majority of the day.

OP
OP
S

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may look into this more. I purchased one a few months back, but it died after a few days because there was a delay in shipping. It had hidden in the rocks for days and ignored all food going past it

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the six line wrasse. He will swim constantly all over the tank, in and out of caves, holes, etc. BTW, the six line wrass will harass the royal gramma. And the royal gramma will snarl at the 2 clown fishes and harass the goby. The clown fishes will attack me whenever I put my hands in the tank. The goby will nip at the snails and hermit crabs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back