30C Pico Build

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I used to run this 30C as a freshwater planted pea puffer tank. However, with the passing of both puffers and my introduction to reefing over the past year, I’ve taken some equipment I had on hand and am looking to create a fishless zoanthid garden.

I had a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue from a lot purchase on FB marketplace. So I figured I would fab up a mount for it. I used a shelf wall mount from home depot and a bracket that came with the light.
image.jpg

So I wanted to make it as cordless as possible. Leaving room for a future ATO and Powerhead, I wired a harness that leads to a strip inside the drawer.

170E08F6-C262-473C-B2EA-B29AB50F45C3.jpeg

You can see, I plan to run this pico with an aquaclear 20, hygger 100w heater, and probably a tunze nano osmolator, and the smallest formfactor nano powerhead I can find. I know I will likely run into heat issues so that’s why I am willing to drop the hygger for something else. Fine for $8 pea puffers and bulletproof freshwater plants. But it’s not necessarily something I’m willing to run a reef with.

I also plan to 3d print a lid frame out of neon orange and add a sheet of glass to slightly seal the tank from evap. The lid design will include an integrated ATO hose barb, individual cutouts for the heater wire, ato sensor wire, powerhead wire, and filter. Still working on the design using a free design site called OnShape. Hoping to update soon, suggestions on reef safe printing filaments needed!

34D83F6F-4239-46EE-B46A-56A765F21451.jpeg
The entire setup is combined into one cable. The top one is my biocube and the bottom is the pico.

tyrym1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience picos tend to run warmer because of the low water volume and closer proximity to the light source. Ive always had to install a fan to keep the tanks running below 80. Putting a lid helped out with evaporation but at the same time hindered cooling, so its always finding that balance.
Now i always have my trusty neotherm heater and a deskfan to keep it at around 78. ATO is a must IMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I used to run this 30C as a freshwater planted pea puffer tank. However, with the passing of both puffers and my introduction to reefing over the past year, I’ve taken some equipment I had on hand and am looking to create a fishless zoanthid garden.

I had a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue from a lot purchase on FB marketplace. So I figured I would fab up a mount for it. I used a shelf wall mount from home depot and a bracket that came with the light.
image.jpg

So I wanted to make it as cordless as possible. Leaving room for a future ATO and Powerhead, I wired a harness that leads to a strip inside the drawer.

170E08F6-C262-473C-B2EA-B29AB50F45C3.jpeg

You can see, I plan to run this pico with an aquaclear 20, hygger 100w heater, and probably a tunze nano osmolator, and the smallest formfactor nano powerhead I can find. I know I will likely run into heat issues so that’s why I am willing to drop the hygger for something else. Fine for $8 pea puffers and bulletproof freshwater plants. But it’s not necessarily something I’m willing to run a reef with.

I also plan to 3d print a lid frame out of neon orange and add a sheet of glass to slightly seal the tank from evap. The lid design will include an integrated ATO hose barb, individual cutouts for the heater wire, ato sensor wire, powerhead wire, and filter. Still working on the design using a free design site called OnShape. Hoping to update soon, suggestions on reef safe printing filaments needed!

34D83F6F-4239-46EE-B46A-56A765F21451.jpeg
The entire setup is combined into one cable. The top one is my biocube and the bottom is the pico.
For low profile wavemaker I've used these and am a pretty big fan. Decent controller many cycle settings and a nice small footprint.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220905-080608_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905-080608_Brave.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 25

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back