310g build stocking list opinions please

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a couple months out from being ready to put any fish into my new 310 gallon 96x30x25” reef ready aquarium. But I’m trying to get a stocking list ironed out so that I’m not wasting time trying to figure it out once the tank is completely setup, cycled and ready. It will be a mixed reef, mostly softies and lps but I will try to keep maybe some birdsnest and monti

Equipment/Filtration:
Icecap 48xl sump
Reef Octo 250int skimmer w/varios 6s
Maxspect mj-dc 12k return pump
Pentair 50watt smart UV
(4) Red Sea Reefwave

Will be doing daily 4 to 5 gallon water changes from my mixing station via Kamoer X2SR at least to until tank has matured.

Now for the stocking list that I’m curious on your guys opinions and recommendations. This list IS NOT the set list, I think it’s PROBABLY too heavily stocked based on what I’ll show here so I will have to narrow it down or remove or add other fish based on further research I do and/or your guys experienced opinions. Or it may be fine as is, but that’s why I’m asking ahead of time first, so here goes:

Tang gang:
1 - Blue Tang
1 - Naso Tang
1 - Orangeshoulder tang
1 - Powder Brown tang
3 - Yellow tangs
1 - kole eye tang

1 - Foxface
1 or 2 (male/female) - Blue Throat Trigger
1 or 2 (male/female) - Bellus Angelfish
1 - Midas Blenny
1 - Black Cap Basslet
1 - Copperband Butterflyfish
3 - Bangaii Cardinalfish
5 or 6 - Blue/Green Chromis
2 - Percula Clownfish
1 - Harlequin Tusk
1 - Zebra Moray Eel (will have 2” pvc placed within the rockwork and sandbed for eeland any corals securely glued and rockwork connected with rods)

I know at least to me this seems like an extremely heavy stocking list (maybe it isn’t, I’m not sure). But would love to hear your guys opinions of where I may run into compatibility issues or to narrow the list down to a better less heavily stocked tank if it is indeed too heavily stocked as typed out or if I should remove a certain fish and maybe replace it with something else… whatever you guys think…
Lets hear your guys opinions

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I would cut the Blue Tang and Powder Brown from the roster— then I’d let it rip! We can’t wait to see tank photos. :)
Reasoning? Just to cut bio-load or for them being more susceptible to ich? Not disagreeing with you at all, appreciate any and all input and I’ll take it all into consideration when it comes time to start purchasing the fish for the tank

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little less bio-load, a little less chance of aggression (with added swim room and sleeping spots), but I personally feel that Blue Tangs look “fake”— maybe they have just been in too many cartoons! Lol. Also you will have your brown color in your Kole Tang, even if you omit your Powder Brown. :)

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little less bio-load, a little less chance of aggression (with added swim room and sleeping spots), but I personally feel that Blue Tangs look “fake”— maybe they have just been in too many cartoons! Lol. Also you will have your brown color in your Kole Tang, even if you omit your Powder Brown. :)
True I didn’t think of that with the kole and the powder brown, I’ve read powders can be more susceptible to ich too. So I’ll definitely keep that suggestion in mind. I know a lot of my family and friends wouldn’t let me hear the end of it if I didn’t get the blue tang since that’s pretty much the only fish they know of besides a clownfish thanks to that fish movie lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a couple months out from being ready to put any fish into my new 310 gallon 96x30x25” reef ready aquarium. But I’m trying to get a stocking list ironed out so that I’m not wasting time trying to figure it out once the tank is completely setup, cycled and ready. It will be a mixed reef, mostly softies and lps but I will try to keep maybe some birdsnest and monti

Equipment/Filtration:
Icecap 48xl sump
Reef Octo 250int skimmer w/varios 6s
Maxspect mj-dc 12k return pump
Pentair 50watt smart UV
(4) Red Sea Reefwave

Will be doing daily 4 to 5 gallon water changes from my mixing station via Kamoer X2SR at least to until tank has matured.

Now for the stocking list that I’m curious on your guys opinions and recommendations. This list IS NOT the set list, I think it’s PROBABLY too heavily stocked based on what I’ll show here so I will have to narrow it down or remove or add other fish based on further research I do and/or your guys experienced opinions. Or it may be fine as is, but that’s why I’m asking ahead of time first, so here goes:

Tang gang:
1 - Blue Tang
1 - Naso Tang
1 - Orangeshoulder tang
1 - Powder Brown tang
3 - Yellow tangs
1 - kole eye tang

1 - Foxface
1 or 2 (male/female) - Blue Throat Trigger
1 or 2 (male/female) - Bellus Angelfish
1 - Midas Blenny
1 - Black Cap Basslet
1 - Copperband Butterflyfish
3 - Bangaii Cardinalfish
5 or 6 - Blue/Green Chromis
2 - Percula Clownfish
1 - Harlequin Tusk
1 - Zebra Moray Eel (will have 2” pvc placed within the rockwork and sandbed for eeland any corals securely glued and rockwork connected with rods)

I know at least to me this seems like an extremely heavy stocking list (maybe it isn’t, I’m not sure). But would love to hear your guys opinions of where I may run into compatibility issues or to narrow the list down to a better less heavily stocked tank if it is indeed too heavily stocked as typed out or if I should remove a certain fish and maybe replace it with something else… whatever you guys think…
Lets hear your guys opinions
Honestly, I would cut the PBT. Also with the Naso I would go with a Naso elegans (Mainly because it’s got more colour and IMHO is more interesting to watch because of it). I wouldn’t cut the Powder part completely but, I would go for the “Powder grey” Tang aka a Goldrim tang. They look plain but in my opinion, they’re probably just the under coloured achilles.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would cut the PBT. Also with the Naso I would go with a Naso elegans (Mainly because it’s got more colour and IMHO is more interesting to watch because of it). I wouldn’t cut the Powder part completely but, I would go for the “Powder grey” Tang aka a Goldrim tang. They look plain but in my opinion, they’re probably just the under coloured achilles.
It’s funny you mention the gold rimmed tang. He was on my list until I had to narrow it down even further to get to this list which is much closer to being a final list and I had a hard time convincing myself to leave him off the list. Maybe I will swap those two. The powder brown for the gold rimmed tang since the only reason he didn’t make the final cut was because I had to make the number of fish I had picked out smaller. I originally started with a list of like 50 fish and then got it cut down to this size lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back