32g Figi Cube - Mix Reef Startup

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thought I would drop in and introduce myself as I'll likely troll these boards for years to come and ask many questions. I'm sure my wife is also getting tired of me talking about this stuff so here I am.

I am new to the hobby as I've not kept saltwater tanks to date. Only freshwater cichlid and oscar tanks as I grew up. I've been a long time fan of the reefing hobby and recently made the decision to jump in, with the wife's support of course ;).

I often told myself that I'd wait for retirement to start this hobby. Why did I start now? Well, I've been working from my home office for a little over a year as a result of the pandemic. I spend a vast majority of my day in our family's home office and do not see my position returning to the office full time. It's the one room in the house that's been neglected since moving in 10+ years ago. Stress runs high at times and I was thinking what would help... A NEW TANK.

The idea started out as a standard 40g breader, quickly ramped up to 100g+ in our basement, to running a display tank on my main level while all the equipment was in the basement. I settled on a 32g with matching stand. I'm happy with the all in one cabinet system. It fits our space and realistic for a first set up IMO.

Below are the items I've purchased. I've done some research and made purchase based on what I feel is worth the expense while knowing I can upgrade areas later.

ItemDescription
Display32G Fiji Cube Ext Overflow; Black Stand
Sump9G Fiji-12; 6G Freshwater Auto Top Off Reservoir
HeaterBRS 100W Titanium Heater w/ WiFi; Second, Backup Heater & Duel Probes
RockMarcoRocks Dry Live Rock & Foundation Rock
SandCaribSea Special Grade Arag Alive Reef Sand - 1-2mm
Water7 Stage RO/DI System
Water Storage(2) 15 Gallon Freshwater/Saltwater Storage Barrels
Lighting(2) AI Prime 16 HD LED - Black Body & Mount
Return PumpInnovative Marine MightyJet (538 GPH)
Protein SkimmerBubble Magus NAC 3.5
Powerheads(2) Jabeo OW-10 Wavemaker 132-1057 GPH w/ Controller

I had the VorTech powerheads in my shopping cart and they were promptly removed after seeing the price. Perhaps a Christmas present as an upgrade down the road.:oops:
SaltRed Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix
Cleaning EquipmentFloat Glass Scrubber; Python Siphon
Test KitsAPI (Ammonia, PH, Nitrite, Nitrate); Refractometer

I purchased a lot of my equipment locally to support my community. Living in MN gives me a unique opportunity to be close to so many great companies. For example, I purchase the 32g tank from Fiji Cube. Fiji Cube is a company based out of St. Paul, MN. The tank was personally delivered via someone in a hatchback. The majority of my equipment is coming from Bulk Reef Supply located in Golden Valley, MN. I've been watching their videos and had to check them out in person.

BRS.jpg

In reviewing the above list, what else should I be looking for in a brand new start up? What can I get away with purchasing later, what do I need now, etc.? So many questions that we'll eventually get through and trying to read through the wealth of knowledge here. Below is what I'm thinking about still:
  • Power Backup
  • Test kits
    • Lighting/PAR Meter
    • I purchase API as they were available at the LFS. Open to other brands for comparison. Thinking I should go digital already...
  • Automation/Redundancies/Water Alarms
  • Other Cleaning Equipment and chemicals to keep things in order
  • Refugium - will find a way to include in my current stand. Stand by...
  • What else?
Fish on the shortlist - All approved by the wife and kids:

Percula Clown
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Royal Gramma
Blue-Green Chromis
Bartlett's Anthias

Corals - Unknown at this time

Who is getting pumped? This guy! Below is a peak into the gear that started to arrive this past week. Every day seems like xmas. We have more cardboard in our garage than what I can stuff in the bins.

Presents001.jpg

Current Goal:
Right now I'm focused on acquiring the proper equipment before I start thinking about adding water to my new tank. I'm a few weeks out on setting up the display tank as we are waiting for new carpet and myself to paint. Good motivation to get that done and also have time work on my sump and a few other projects to prep for this build.

I'm currently working on my "fish room" where I'll keep the RO/DI system, water storage, quarantine tank, and general storage to keep things clean and out of sight.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32g Fiji Cube and cabinet together with the 9g Fiji-12 sump. A 6g top off reservoir came with this set up but will use elsewhere. I have other ideas for the space next to the sump.

20210316_111344.jpg
20210316_110556.jpg

20210316_111329.jpg

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife and I started aquascaping. Looking like this will be close to the final product.

Now need to start researching best bonding application for dry rock. Any suggestions? Super glue, epoxy, saw someone mix backing soda with super glue.. . Open to suggestions but want the end product to look as natural as possible.

Currently working with ~30 lbs of MarcoRocks Dry Live Rock & Foundation Rock from BRS. Will have an extra 5 lbs I'm going to start cycling while I wait...

I'll be using sand but this has me thinking about a bare bottom tank. :cool:

20210316_142744.jpg

20210316_143011_03.jpg

20210316_142753.jpg

20210316_142810.jpg

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely the cleanest this space will be. Moved cabnets around the basement to designate as my fish area. Out of sight out of mind. Happy wife...

Salvaged these cabinets from work years ago when they remodeled. These were being used to store ice fishing and snowmobile gear.

Will work to hook up the RO/DI where it sits now and have it feed freshwater to both barrels. One will be saltwater and the other fresh.

20210313_003329.jpg
20210313_002802.jpg

20210313_123834.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man looks like you have an awesome set up going and all you need now is another tank and then another..... It really is an addiction.

Appreciate it. I can tell already. If we decide to, and by "if" I mean when, we'll have a larger tank built into a wall in our basement. Something set flush in the wall with an equipment room behind. Nothing grand but manageable.

Perhaps behind a wet bar... Bar under tank with keg/fish room in back. Hmm

Just going to take it easy with this one until I get my feet underneath me.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man looks like you have an awesome set up going and all you need now is another tank and then another..... It really is an addiction.
So, so true. I decided to start a build last November...and ended up with seven: three tanks, a three jars (one a pest jar), and one quarantine tank. At least it's helped raise the humidity of the house this winter. :)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice fish room, that setup now will save you so much time and headache later. I totally just built my water mix station and I love it!

I also have the same tank! Fijicube 32 with the sump. I also use a mighty jet for return (it’s perfect ) and I also have the reservoir.
I didn’t see a ATO listed, u def need one and I suggest the tunze nano.
if you need to automate dosing one day (like coral food or kalk or 2 part) the Kamoer x1 pro dosing pump is tiny and will fit Multiple units well in the relatively small cabinet. (Currently have three in there with room to spare).

ALSO, this tank’s glass walls are a tad too large for mp10 powerheads. They will work but run them over a certain percentage and they run the risk of falling off the glass. If you go ecotech in the future then buy a single mp40 or go with nero pumps imo.

last suggestion, don’t put in so much rock like you have. You will run out of room so fast in this tank, so keep the rock to a min. Breaking some of those larger boulders up and using crazy glue and Marco rock mortar will create some more open rockscapes (BRS has a video on creating negative space Aquascapes).

I’m staying tuned, thanks for sharing!

0F3AB15E-159D-4DA5-99CD-DF3572FB2AB3.jpeg

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so true. I decided to start a build last November...and ended up with seven: three tanks, a three jars (one a pest jar), and one quarantine tank. At least it's helped raise the humidity of the house this winter. :)

You know... This is very true. Before kids we had a 55g freshwater setup in an apartment. Never had dry air issues even in MN winters. Only became an issue when we took that tank down when we moved.

Give our whole home humidifier a break I guess. :confused:

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice fish room, that setup now will save you so much time and headache later. I totally just built my water mix station and I love it!

I also have the same tank! Fijicube 32 with the sump. I also use a mighty jet for return (it’s perfect ) and I also have the reservoir.
if you need to automate dosing one day (like coral food or kalk or 2 part) the Kamoer x1 pro dosing pump is tiny and will fit Multiple units well in the relatively small cabinet. (Currently have three in there with room to spare).

ALSO, this tank’s glass walls are a tad too large for mp10 powerheads. They will work but run them over a certain percentage and they run the risk of falling off the glass. If you go ecotech in the future then buy a single mp40 or go with nero pumps imo.

last suggestion, don’t put in so much rock like you have. You will run out of room so fast in this tank, so keep the rock to a min. Breaking some of those larger boulders up and using crazy glue and Marco rock mortar will create some more open rockscapes (BRS has a video on creating negative space Aquascapes).

Thank you for this. I'm going to reread and digest in the morning. Exact reason why I'm posting here. Want to get started off right with help. Tend to go at these things alone but why when there is a plethora of knowledge.

I do not have an ATO. On the list to research and appreciate the tip.

Nero pumps - What would you recommend? I have not looked into these yet. Current powerheads are still sitting new in a box.

Have some time to aquascape before we kick this thing off. Let's see what we come up with.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is what I'm thinking about still:
  • Power Backup
  • Test kits
    • Lighting/PAR Meter
    • I purchase API as they were available at the LFS. Open to other brands for comparison. Thinking I should go digital already...
  • Automation/Redundancies/Water Alarms
  • Other Cleaning Equipment and chemicals to keep things in order
  • Refugium - will find a way to include in my current stand. Stand by...
  • What else?

Looking good!

I would not invest in a par meter unless you just got money to burn. With your lights there is a lot of information about par at different settings and distances from light. Should be more than enough info to give you a good idea of par at various parts of tank.

As far as test kits everyone has their favorites. I use the hanna checkers for alk/phosphate, salifert for nitrate, nyos for calcium. The ammonia/nitrite api test you have probably will not be used after cycle so no need to really upgrade those in my opinion.

Not needed initially but you may need to plan for a doser depending on your stocking.

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice tank by the way!

Go Ahead Reaction GIF

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sea air is good for you. Or that's what you can tell everyone.

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

I would not invest in a par meter unless you just got money to burn. With your lights there is a lot of information about par at different settings and distances from light. Should be more than enough info to give you a good idea of par at various parts of tank.

As far as test kits everyone has their favorites. I use the hanna checkers for alk/phosphate, salifert for nitrate, nyos for calcium. The ammonia/nitrite api test you have probably will not be used after cycle so no need to really upgrade those in my opinion.

Not needed initially but you may need to plan for a doser depending on your stocking.

Do not want to buy a PAR meter. I see BRS rents one out. Shoot, I'd foot the rental bill for a week if I could bend a local refers ear on their setup. Could clean and use after me. ;)

Will add a doser at some point. Automation is still on the list to research. Will automate so should purchase compatable components as I upgrade and be smart about it.

I see there is a Reef-Pi forum here. Will check that out as some point.

Back