Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank by the way!

Go Ahead Reaction GIF

haha! Thank you I Love Chow

I like the nero 3 pumps bc they are so small and can move a decent amount of water with a lot of control very much like an ecotech mp (use basically the same app controls). Easy to clean too. I think two on this tank set on the back walls would look sweet bc they basically disappear on the black background (I have 1). I love my mp10s but they really ruin the look of the tank itself for such a small cube with the giant motor on the outside glass also blocking a lot of view inside the tank as well.

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha! Thank you I Love Chow

I like the nero 3 pumps bc they are so small and can move a decent amount of water with a lot of control very much like an ecotech mp (use basically the same app controls). Easy to clean too. I think two on this tank set on the back walls would look sweet bc they basically disappear on the black background (I have 1). I love my mp10s but they really ruin the look of the tank itself for such a small cube with the giant motor on the outside glass also blocking a lot of view inside the tank as well.

Taken under advisement. I'll look into this tonight. I'll have flow questions later in the build.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome start to your tank. Welcome to the addiction.

Have you checked out TCMAS at all? Its the local reef club in the Twin Cities? With Covid it hasn't been as much fun as in the past but once people get vaccinated and things start getting back to normal again we'll do local tank tours and reef swap events.

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome start to your tank. Welcome to the addiction.

Have you checked out TCMAS at all? Its the local reef club in the Twin Cities? With Covid it hasn't been as much fun as in the past but once people get vaccinated and things start getting back to normal again we'll do local tank tours and reef swap events.

Saw this noted in another thread. Have not checked them out yet but do plan on it.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang looks cool!

keep in mind water flow throughout the tank, maybe leave a hole or two in those big walls, but like where it’s going...

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Microbacter Dry Rock Bacteria Starter Kit to kick off a dry rock cycle earlier this week. Will be used to help seed the display tank.

10g quarentien tank with the rimless reservoir from the Figi Cube bundle.

20210314_231932.jpg

I added a single Hydor Koralia Nano 565.

20210316_231701.jpg

I'm using the one of the titanium heaters and controller from BRS. Might as well start playing with this heater in prep for the display tank. Easy to read digital display with mobile application for remote temperature monitoring. Customizable with high/low temp alert features. Pretty impressed so far. Also has two temp probes. Looks like the cheap heater hang on is reading accurately.

20210316_231448.jpg

20210316_223850.jpg

SmartSelect_20210316-224006_Inkbird Pro.jpg

SmartSelect_20210317-172731_Inkbird Pro.jpg

20210316_223916.jpg

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're still looking for rock work options, my plan is to drill mating holes into them with a glass/ceramic bit and insert chunks of fiberglass rod. I've read that this is a sturdy system that could leave the option to take it back apart later. I'm also planning on attaching small pvc pipe "stands" on the bottoms to set them flat on the glass but also raise them up for fish that want to make caves.

Bare bottom could be tempting with a tank that size. I saw a larger cube style aquarium at the LFS in Bismarck, ND with one and the glass was getting encrusted with coralline just like the sides which was an interesting look.

You're probably not ready to make the jump, but if you do want to get into a controller, I will be selling an ApexEl with an energy bar and a fluid monitoring module. I've collected a bit too much stuff already. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're still looking for rock work options, my plan is to drill mating holes into them with a glass/ceramic bit and insert chunks of fiberglass rod. I've read that this is a sturdy system that could leave the option to take it back apart later. I'm also planning on attaching small pvc pipe "stands" on the bottoms to set them flat on the glass but also raise them up for fish that want to make caves.

Bare bottom could be tempting with a tank that size. I saw a larger cube style aquarium at the LFS in Bismarck, ND with one and the glass was getting encrusted with coralline just like the sides which was an interesting look.

You're probably not ready to make the jump, but if you do want to get into a controller, I will be selling an ApexEl with an energy bar and a fluid monitoring module. I've collected a bit too much stuff already. ;Facepalm

Appreciate the tips. I'm finding a lot of people get creative with their rock work. I like how the tanks look completely different as they progress.

I'll be looking to incorporate a controller in the future but we'll wait a bit for it to establish and budget for it. I see some controllers can get pretty spendy. Honestly wouldn't know what to look for at this point with a controller and/or dosing equipment. Just haven't researched it enough. I'll tell you one thing.... These solution based tests in tubes will get old. I'll want to invest in a controller with probes or at least digital readers like the Hanna devices. Will have to budget for these items too.

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooking up the RO/DI until was today's goal. Located the cold water line to our main floor laundry sink. Spliced into it using a Stop valve with 1/2" Push-to-connect x 1/4" OD compression.

The Red and Black are waste lines. I'll open the Red line and close the Blue line in the cabinet to remove any waste before I start filling the barrels. This is to remove any unwanted stuff after sitting idle or filter changes. I'll flip the valves when ready to fill.

20210320_161213.jpg

20210320_174857.jpg

20210320_173450.jpg

20210320_173602.jpg

20210320_173800.jpg

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer to setting this thing up. Today I reinforced the cabinet with L brackets and built a shelf for a refugium to sit above the freshwater top off tank. Both refugium and freshwater tanks are 5.4 gal. Fits just right in this cabinet.

I'll cut a sheet of acrylic to sit on top of the freshwater tank. Hopefully help reduce evaporation. Went with the Tunze Nano for ATO.

I'll drill two 1/2" bulkheads in the refugium tank that will drain into the return chamber in the sump. One will be slightly higher for an emergency drain. Wish me luck drilling. Will have to exchange the current bit as I grabbed a smaller one than what is needed for the bulkheads. Will share an update when that is complete.

I'll need to buy a pump to feed the refugium. What rate of flow is recommended here? Open to ideas. Hear a lower flow will be best.

20210327_183147.jpg

20210327_204707.jpg

Drilled pilot holes to secure the shelving inside the cabinet.

20210328_135410.jpg

Idea of final design.

20210328_114138.jpg

Stress testing the shelf - 115 lbs

20210328_141110.jpg

20210328_142041.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since my last update. During the first leak test I found two leaks. Both located between the 3/4" bulkheads and pvc pipe coming out of the external Fiji Overflow. The bulkheads recieved in the Fiji package seems a bit large when bonding the pvc to the bulkheads. Sure enough... leaks started developing after a few hours.

I attempted to repair the leaks as they were close to the external overflow opening to allow addition primer and glue to bond. In the end I didn't feel comfortable and ended up re-plumbing. Needed for my piece of mind. Also took this as an opportunity to plumb in the refugium return.

After re-plumbing I let it run for 5 days and called the second leak test a success.

This past weekend I received my battery backup, CyberPower CP900AVR UPS System. This was the last piece to get me up and running.

I'll post pics a little later today.

OP
OP
This1Guy

This1Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cycling. Processing ammonia every couple days with a fishless cycle. Nitrites hover anywhere from 1 to 5+ according using API's tests when Amonia reads close to 0. Have a small breakout of Diatoms. Take it these are popping up as the Nitrates are spiking...

API kits are not a long term option for me. I cannot differentiate colors for readings with their kits.

I decided to pick up new kits based on reviews from others on this site as well as reading I've done. I went with a mix of Hanna Checkers (Alkalinity and Phosphate ULR) and Read Sea for everything else.

20210505_185955.jpg

Stopped into New wave Aquaria in Plymouth MN for the purchase. They chipped off Caroline algea pieces from their rock for me to drop in the tank. See how this goes.

20210505_184627.jpg

Back