36 Gallon Bow Front tank build

Tracdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently moved across country to Tennessee where I restarted my 10 gallon innovative Marine tank which is doing great and packed.

I wanted to get a bigger tank (since what else is there to do during Covid) so I decided to go for a 36 Gallon Bow front that I bought used and add a sump to it.

Here's what I have:
36 gallon used tank and stand
Eclipse S Overflow box
2 AI Prime 16 HDs
10 gallon DIY sump
Klir drop in Fleece filter bracket and filter
Hygger 24v DC pump 1350ghp (way bigger than I need)
Tunze DOC Nano Skimmer 9004
Apex system (my wife got it for me for my birthday, she's awesome)
Vortech Mp10

It's been a lot of work, money and planning to get this built but I finally got all the plumbing in and I have it running in the garage with tap water to test for leaks. I fixed one leak and So far so good!

Next steps are: moving it into the house, setting up the electrical (I have seeing wires). Aquascape (I'm going to try for minimalist/bonzia look) and then fill up and enjoy. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

20200623_104438.jpg

20200623_103604.jpg
20200712_123734.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! What a great birthday gift! It will be fun to see the tank come together, fill in, and then mature! Good luck!

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see an update on your bow front. Are the lights working to your satisfaction? I set up a 36gal bow front earlier this summer with a coral life light which I hate. I’m short too so I have difficulty placing corals in my tank.

OP
OP
Tracdog

Tracdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's doing great, it has been up and running for 3 months. I did a month long cycle and the AI progress have been working very well. I still want to build or buy a canopy for it but that's not really important.

20201011_174449.jpg

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's doing great, it has been up and running for 3 months. I did a month long cycle and the AI progress have been working very well. I still want to build or buy a canopy for it but that's not really important.

20201011_174449.jpg
This looks great. I think you convinced me on the lights.

Tank 11.2.jpg

OP
OP
Tracdog

Tracdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wire management could use some work and I wish I had more room in this stand for a bigger sump.... There's always the next tank.

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic. This is my first aquarium tank _EVER. I think I need to write a blog about all of my rookie mistakes I'm learning along the way. I currently have a Hydor canister filter but have quickly figured out I need to get rid of it and make a sump. I like the secondary cabinet idea. Do you like the depth of the bow front? I'm having a hard time reaching the bottom when cleaning or placing new corals without sticking my entire arm in the tank. I think I want a shallow tank for my next one. Your setup looks great. I've got a lot to learn :)

OP
OP
Tracdog

Tracdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic. This is my first aquarium tank _EVER. I think I need to write a blog about all of my rookie mistakes I'm learning along the way. I currently have a Hydor canister filter but have quickly figured out I need to get rid of it and make a sump. I like the secondary cabinet idea. Do you like the depth of the bow front? I'm having a hard time reaching the bottom when cleaning or placing new corals without sticking my entire arm in the tank. I think I want a shallow tank for my next one. Your setup looks great. I've got a lot to learn :)

Thank you! You do learn a ton while building and maintaining these tanks but that's the fun. I never thought I would learn how to plumb with pvc or cut glass but I did.
The secondary cabinet was just because this stand has no room but it worked out and keeps the electronics dry.
Yeah, if you can if add a sump I would but 36 is still a nano so you're main filtration is in the rocks.
The depth is a pain but it looks nice and I'm excited to have room for sps to grow. I use some gloves that go to my shoulder when ever I do stuff in the tank and I'm tall so it's not too much of a stretch for me.

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a really old thread but I am thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 36 bow front from the 2x 50watt nicrew hyper reef I have now. Are you able to grow SPS with your AI prime 16?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back