380 Acrylic Tank Bad Seams?

cmoresps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commissioned a well know tank builder in the mid-atlantic two years ago to build me a tank 96x36x24. He tried to screw me over and built one out of one inch extruded. I of course immediately knew the difference, threatened to sue him, he blamed the mix up on the shop where he gets the acrylic (yeah right). I paid for a well built tank with clear seams, and he delivered finally, or so I thought. I got wrapped up in a nightmare of a job at work, the tank sat outside (on its back properly stored for 6 months). Finally got it on the stand, the stand is wood, planar, level, and has half inch dense foam and now I am seeing air bubbles developing in the bottom seams before I have even added water (it has been another six months since tank was put on stand). All vertical seams are perfect, top is fine but bottom has two spots that are concerning. Aside from suing the builder which is likely to happen, I am looking for options here. I dont want to install one inch triangle rod if I dont have to, but the fact that air bubbles are developing without stress is concerning. Did he use super glue instead of weldon? Has anyone seen a tank do this without water in it? Any help here is truly appreciated!!

360.jpg 360x2.jpg 360x3.jpg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about this at all but if he tried to do you wrong right off the bat, I wouldn't trust anything he told or showed me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does not look normal. I would run this by any acrylic tank manufacturer and get their opinion

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 year old acrylic tank that looks way better than that. Which place made you that so I can avoid them? Even if you ignore the thickness of the acrylic that would only be a 360. If they adviertise a tank as alot bigger than it is that is an automatic red flag for me.
With 0 thickness it's 359 or 360
with 1/2 inch thickness it's 331
with 3/4 inch thickness it's 317 but there is no way to calculate it as a 380 major red flag.

Personally I would try to get refund and get one from someone else as a properly done acrylic tank with careful maint will last a lifetime...home made seams risk bursting.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back