38g Bow Front

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know next to nothing and I'm running a 125. I was running a 5, 75, and 125 simultaneously but I finally tore down the 75 and 5 to kind of make my wife happierish...?

We can help walk you through plumbing if you need help. Sumps are fairly easy - decide what brand you want, refugium in the sump or not, skimmer or not. Figure out how much flow you want through the sump and get an overflow that can handle that and get a return pump that outputs that much or close. Plumb the return up a couple of inches, add a tee and a ball valve offshoot from the return line to help with better regulation and then glue all fitting that are not directly above the sump or in the tank. I glue the 45 from the return pump only on the downstream side, the 45 going up to the tank on both sides, the 90 at the top on both sides and the 90 dropping back into the tank only on the upstream side.

I know it looks like a lot but it's just like sprinklers. PVC is easy to work with for the return.

From the overflow use some sort of flexible tubing.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know next to nothing and I'm running a 125. I was running a 5, 75, and 125 simultaneously but I finally tore down the 75 and 5 to kind of make my wife happierish...?

We can help walk you through plumbing if you need help. Sumps are fairly easy - decide what brand you want, refugium in the sump or not, skimmer or not. Figure out how much flow you want through the sump and get an overflow that can handle that and get a return pump that outputs that much or close. Plumb the return up a couple of inches, add a tee and a ball valve offshoot from the return line to help with better regulation and then glue all fitting that are not directly above the sump or in the tank. I glue the 45 from the return pump only on the downstream side, the 45 going up to the tank on both sides, the 90 at the top on both sides and the 90 dropping back into the tank only on the upstream side.

I know it looks like a lot but it's just like sprinklers. PVC is easy to work with for the return.

I'm plumbing mine with PVC from the overflow to the stand, then switching to flexible tubing to the sump. Mostly soft tubing for the return but I will probably go to PVC and up in diameter if I want more flow.

I went a size larger on the pump and plan on running it low. I have a habit of needing more the minute I run a new thing. My overflow and return for the 75 that's getting a sump is now a size up for a 120. Secce sincra 5 pump and eshopps 1200 overflow.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm plumbing mine with PVC from the overflow to the stand, then switching to flexible tubing to the sump. Mostly soft tubing for the return but I will probably go to PVC and up in diameter if I want more flow.

I went a size larger on the pump and plan on running it low. I have a habit of needing more the minute I run a new thing. My overflow and return for the 75 that's getting a sump is now a size up for a 120. Secce sincra 5 pump and eshopps 1200 overflow.
Be careful oversizing the drain tubing. Too much and it gurgles from sucking air.

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks T. However, that's the thing, I don't know a thing about sumps and refuges, etc. I have no idea where to start first.
I will start doing a little more research. Is there a book, "saltwater aquariums for dummies"? Lol.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks T. However, that's the thing, I don't know a thing about sumps and refuges, etc. I have no idea where to start first.
I will start doing a little more research. Is there a book, "saltwater aquariums for dummies"? Lol.
There actually is! Refugiums are almost a requirement if you want to grow macro algaes. Sumps are easy or complicated depending on what you want. It's basically a saltwater wet/dry filter instead of a canister. Mine is a 30 gallonish with 3 sections - the intake (not sure if that's proper terminology) where the water from the tank enters and goes through the filter socks (think sponges or filter floss in a canister), then a skimmer section where my skimmer is, then the return section where my return pump is. That's where I have my top off valve also since it's the chamber that is the most noticable when the water level drops. There are some people that use the skimmer chamber as a refugium - sand/rock rubble/macro algae and there are some sumps that have a fourth chamber so you have a refugium section and a skimmer section.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I will put on my freshwater will be a filter sock holder, ceramic media, and a return pump in a 30 or 40 gallon tank. I may put baffles in, maybe not. My 120 came with a nice trigger sump with 4 sections.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey @ktfloyd01 you can always do a large tank with a couple of canisters and powerheads/wave makers if you don't want to deal with a sump as well. You can always fill one with rock rubble and it'll act as a refugium for cultivating pods and fill the other with filter floss and any media you want to use. They make Hang-On Refugiums also as well as Hang-On skimmers. There are lots of successful reef keepers that don't use sumps.

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey @ktfloyd01 you can always do a large tank with a couple of canisters and powerheads/wave makers if you don't want to deal with a sump as well. You can always fill one with rock rubble and it'll act as a refugium for cultivating pods and fill the other with filter floss and any media you want to use. They make Hang-On Refugiums also as well as Hang-On skimmers. There are lots of successful reef keepers that don't use sumps.
I could do that, especially since I have all the extra equipment needed for something like this.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I could do that, especially since I have all the extra equipment needed for something like this.
I started my 75 with a canister and then upgraded by adding a sump. Now that the 75 is empty of livestock I'm considering filling the canister with BioBalls and rock rubble and converting it into a great pod hotel for the 125.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you guys think of this?
Innovative makes decent tanks. AIO means you'll have 60 total including the sump in the back. Most people prefer Peninsula style AIO so it uses less of the actual tank volume for the "sump" section. The good thing with AIO - no plumbing.

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so I finally made one decision. I am going to swap out/convert my FW 55g. It is actually perfect for what I am wanting and cheaper than buying all new. Thanks T for your advice on that and using what I already have to run it. I can always change or swap later.
I will be transitioning this, probably after Christmas. I am going to take the FW and put them in the 15g temp tank until the 55 is ready. Then put the FW in the 38g.

My question is I currently have an Ocean Revive T247, will this still work on the 55, or would I need more lighting?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back