40 Breeder peninsula- project Dreadnought

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I'm new to forums but not necessarily to reefing. I'm current run a DIY 29 gal softy tank with a 10 gal sump. I've started plans to slightly up grade to a 40 gallon breeder peninsula style tank with either a DIY 20 gallon long or acrylic sump. I'd like this tank to have a mix reef with a focus on SPS. Admittedly, I have had poor luck and knowledge in keeping SPS in the past but I'm hoping for some great feedback and wisdom from this community. [emoji847]

My current build plan:
40 gallon Breeder drilled for peninsula style system
Hard plumbing (gate valves, unions, etc)
DIY stand
DIY sump/refugium(acrylic or 20 gal long)
MP10 (have)
Gyre pump
Radion gen 3 pro (have)
Tunze 9004 Skimmer (have) but may upgrade
Eshopps Eclipse medium overflow
Return(undecided)
Smart ATO (have)

Future plans:
Neptune or digital aquatics controller
Jebao doser (once frags grow out or when water changes can't keep up with consumption)
DIY dosing bottles
DIY Solar power system
DIY media reactors

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone! I'm new to forums but not necessarily to reefing. I'm current run a DIY 29 gal softy tank with a 10 gal sump. I've started plans to slightly up grade to a 40 gallon breeder peninsula style tank with either a DIY 20 gallon long or acrylic sump. I'd like this tank to have a mix reef with a focus on SPS. Admittedly, I have had poor luck and knowledge in keeping SPS in the past but I'm hoping for some great feedback and wisdom from this community. [emoji847]
[...]

Welcome to R2R!!! It looks like you have a reasonable plan. Hopefully others will jump in with suggestions, but as you know from your experience - focus on lighting and water quality and then take your time.

Also, if you're comfortable and have time I encourage you to introduce yourself in the "Meet and Greet Forum". We're glad you're here!

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! It looks like you have a reasonable plan. Hopefully others will jump in with suggestions, but as you know from your experience - focus on lighting and water quality and then take your time.

Also, if you're comfortable and have time I encourage you to introduce yourself in the "Meet and Greet Forum". We're glad you're here!

I’ll definitely do that. Thank you for the welcome!

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by a solar power system?

A solar powered back up for your tank?

If you can get really matured live rock from the start. That will help you with SPS

I’m planning on running the rock from my current system as that’s getting torn down. As for the solar I want to supplement and backup my system with it. I’m trying to get everything I can in DC so solar will be reasonably possible. It’s a shot in the air for now but I want to have a stable tank first. Has anyone done a solar powered system that you know of?

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Just picked up this Deep blue professional 40 gallon Breeder on Letgo for a very responsible price. The prior owner states the aquarium was only used for a few months and he housed reptiles in it. The tank is about 6 years old but in nearly brand new condition. The black silicone is completely uniform and looks great.

The tank has “tempered” engraved in the bottom glass. Does anyone know if the sides are tempered as well? I googled it and check the DBP website but I’m getting mixed answers. The tank has a production Date of “August 2013(2)”.

I also thought about removing the top rim and replacing it with euro bracing. I’ve done this before on smaller systems and I know getting the silicone off will be quite a job but I’m not in love with the center support. I want nothing blocking my radion’s light.

740d6daeda40e4facf937aaf917af8b9.jpg

7acaeb6eee7f99c87038deba1cc890cf.jpg

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Just picked up this Deep blue professional 40 gallon Breeder on Letgo for a very responsible price. The prior owner states the aquarium was only used for a few months and he houses reptiles in it. The tank is about 6 years old but in nearly brand new condition. The black silicone is completely uniform and looks great.

The tank has “tempered” engraved in the bottom glass. Does anyone know if the sides are tempered as well? I googled it and check the DBP website but I’m getting mixed answers. The tank has a production Date of “August 2013(2)”.

I also thought about removing the top rim and replacing it with euro bracing. I’ve done this before on smaller systems and I know getting the silicone off will be quite a job but I’m not in love with the center support. I want nothing blocking my radion’s light.

740d6daeda40e4facf937aaf917af8b9.jpg

7acaeb6eee7f99c87038deba1cc890cf.jpg
Google, polarized sunglasses tempered glass trick. It will show you how to find out which sides are tempered. Cool concept with the solar supplement.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank! Some Deep Blue 40g breeders are tempered and some are not based on their website. As @Hemmdog suggested, I think the safest way would be to use the polarized lens test on each of the side panels to see if they are polarized. Good luck!

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried the polarized sunglasses & tempered glass trick. All the panels (including the one marked “Tempered”) didn’t indicate that they were tempered at all. I tested the same shades and LCD on my car window and it made dark circles appear as the trick is supposed to work.

After a little bit of interweb digging I was able to find a Deep blue professional link that states that the only panel that is tempered for the 40 breeder aquarium is the bottom one. This was also the same information I got from another forum.

Based on all this, It is my belief that if the tank was built with tempered glass it is only the bottom panel. If I’m wrong REEF2REEF will be the first to know.

Here is screenshots of the DB link:
70d5284529be8d77ea500e9cb1cac3d6.jpg

7a2ee6f2ce576b4a295098f131b78cca.jpg

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to work on the stand today. Made a few mistakes but had plenty of wood on hand.
c9e0fedcfb3a867b432ee5644000c45a.jpg

7ecd1d814e8947ea7cc05e05b6b30446.jpg

7c318c91f9dcb20b2fbe02562bc22920.jpg

Almost finished product. My wife helped a lot which she wasn’t happy about lol I think it’s the 100+ degree weather. I still need to skin and paint this bad boy. I want to go white but the wife wants black or a dark wood stain. What do you guys think?
7e479fbb0ac1d5182848d1226e81cf9f.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to work on the stand today. Made a few mistakes but had plenty of wood on hand.
c9e0fedcfb3a867b432ee5644000c45a.jpg

7ecd1d814e8947ea7cc05e05b6b30446.jpg

7c318c91f9dcb20b2fbe02562bc22920.jpg

Almost finished product. My wife helped a lot which she wasn’t happy About lol I think it’s the 100+ degree weather. I still need to skin and paint this bad boy. I want to go white but the wife wants black or a dark wood stain. What do you guys think?
7e479fbb0ac1d5182848d1226e81cf9f.jpg
Good job! I’m with you, white looks the best imo.

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99a70bcc83a6aaeda285edb7fc77a27c.jpg

Just received some of my plumbing. Waiting on my eshopps eclipse medium overflow to come in. Still need a return pump and return plumbing. What size return do you guys recommend for this overflow? I’m thinking 3/4 but I’ve heard it’s better to go half the size of your drain which is 1 inch. Also what do you guys recommend for a return pump. I’d prefer something that’s DC powered, good quality and not overpriced.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on running the rock from my current system as that’s getting torn down. As for the solar I want to supplement and backup my system with it. I’m trying to get everything I can in DC so solar will be reasonably possible. It’s a shot in the air for now but I want to have a stable tank first. Has anyone done a solar powered system that you know of?

I have dreamed about a 100% solar tank ( and living off the grid ) just have not found the right land/place to do it. I think you would need some serious panels tho and a couple Tesla walls just for the tank do go 100% solar.

but for a back up, a bet a deep cycle marine battery charged off a solar panel could work.
keep us posted I love love a good 40B build.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99a70bcc83a6aaeda285edb7fc77a27c.jpg

Just received some of my plumbing. Waiting on my eshopps eclipse medium overflow to come in. Still need a return pump and return plumbing. What size return do you guys recommend for this overflow? I’m thinking 3/4 but I’ve heard it’s better to go half the size of your drain which is 1 inch. Also what do you guys recommend for a return pump. I’d prefer something that’s DC powered, good quality and not overpriced.
I have the eshopps M on my 40b as well. I went with a jebao return, this thing is as reliable and quiet as my VarioS on my 90. I got the DCT 6000.
Return plumbing; I haven’t heard this 1/2 size of your drain rule before. I did 2 1inch returns coming off that jebao, running it at 70%, great results in that tank. I wish my bigger 90 had full 1inch returns, the smaller returns really bottleneck the system with age as the diameter of your plumbing decreases.

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dreamed about a 100% solar tank ( and living off the grid ) just have not found the right land/place to do it. I think you would need some serious panels tho and a couple Tesla walls just for the tank do go 100% solar.

but for a back up, a bet a deep cycle marine battery charged off a solar panel could work.
keep us posted I love love a good 40B build.

I’ve actually been looking at some marine batteries. The idea of a solar powered aquarium came to me after watching some YouTube sailors who run their boats off solar. I think if definitely possible if the equipment has a minimal draw and the solar has enough light and storage capacity. I’ll definitely keep everyone posted. Thanks for your input

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the eshopps M on my 40b as well. I went with a jebao return, this thing is as reliable and quiet as my VarioS on my 90. I got the DCT 6000.

Return plumbing; I haven’t heard this 1/2 size of your drain rule before. I did 2 1inch returns coming off that jebao, running it at 70%, great results in that tank. I wish my bigger 90 had full 1inch returns, the smaller returns really bottleneck the system with age as the diameter of your plumbing decreases.
That pump looks great. Is it your opinion I should run the return 1” then? I don’t want to over power the overflow causing a flood or excessive noise at full siphon.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump looks great. Is it your opinion I should run the return 1” then? I don’t want to over power the overflow causing a flood or excessive noise at full siphon.
Yea I’d plumb it 1 inch, maybe split it at the end to several 3/4 locline with random flow generators if I could do it again.

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Medium eshopps overflow but was sent a small. Took a week to return but I finally got the right one. I wanted to use the large but after some measurements I determined it would be to wide for the side panel of this aquarium.
842f9cbb5f807edf06c8a6399a7b15ac.jpg

Being the second time I have drilled a tank I was pretty confident in my skills and got this done within a few minutes with very little chip out.
f8f2c22ec36f994e87d8a3d5d1385c3d.jpg

I’ve installed the medium overflow and will start plumbing soon
beab0dd8864604f3ae20e336f7400cb1.jpeg
55d593620fb6ac78bbf08149abe34dbb.jpeg

I also got an Apex EL, Icecap 1k gyre and the DCT-6000 pump (thanks for the suggestion @Hemmdog)
2cbb20286ae12ce0dbd2ecbba12202e4.jpg

I’m contemplating the idea of vinyl wrapping the back and side of the aquarium. I want to do this so I can remove some or all of the background easily in the future. I drilled the overflow on the side mainly so I keep the system flush against the wall. By having the plumbing come down the side at this time I save a lot of space in my apartment. Eventually when I buy a home I can turn the tank so it sticks out like a true Peninsula and remove the vinyl wrap from the backside of the tank (hopefully). Has anybody ever vinyl wrapped, plasti dipped or used any alternatives to a more permanent paint on the back of their aquarium? If so what did you use and how easy was it to remove?

OP
OP
HudsonReefer

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress on the stand today. Got her painted white despite my wife’s apprehension. May need to take my ole lady out for a seafood dinner to get some forgiveness lol
I also picked up cabinet magnets, bead board and moldings to finish off the outside skin from homecheapo. I mocked up the bead board and molding and I definitely think it will look beautiful when completed. Hopefully dinner and the mock up photos will keep me from sleep outside tonight! Wish me luck
5C2B30E3-20F8-4BAA-BAF3-EBD118256FA1.jpeg
605EB4D2-A70D-4E8C-A25E-7A498855DFC2.jpeg
C09E80E1-9CB1-4341-A8BD-5BBDEB826EC9.jpeg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back