DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flexible pvc pipe. It’s going to blow. Your. Mind. Regarding plumbing options

This is 2 feet doing an s-curve in 2 planes. This is my return line going from basement through floor to office

2a7a451472c41162d7af9ef88ddb6f9c.jpg
Mind. Blown.

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To play devils advocate (I largely agree with most of your post, that balancing ATO sensor position is dependent on return chamber size)-

Make sure your return chamber isn’t too big, in that, if the pump was to pump it dry and send all that water to the DT (ie if your overflows get blocked) then your DT has enough residual unused capacity that it can take that water volume.

If you have your DT water level an inch below the rim, and this equates to (for example) 9 gallons of space, and your return chamber is 12 gallons... where is that last 3 gallons going?

FWIW I haven’t used this consideration in my builds since I did a bean animal drain system. Blockage failures in all 3 drains at once is statistically extremely unlikely.

agreed; and agreed: highly unlikely. ...But I still agree on the first point. I did say deeper is better - but there is a limit. Don't make the return chamber so deep that it's volume exceeds the spare volume in the attached main display -a good addendum to my earlier comments on return chamber sizing.

and OP - good choice on BeanAnimal.

Re: the last post - you've got the facts you need to move forward. You've done great work researching and considering options. You've listened and comprehended the advice given. It's time to start gaining experience. Time to start making.

Jay Duke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through this whole thread and want to say - thanks to everyone here. You've made me consider a whole bunch of stuff when planning out my build. Stuff I didn't think of before (like depth of return chamber.)

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed; and agreed: highly unlikely. ...But I still agree on the first point. I did say deeper is better - but there is a limit. Don't make the return chamber so deep that it's volume exceeds the spare volume in the attached main display -a good addendum to my earlier comments on return chamber sizing.

and OP - good choice on BeanAnimal.

Re: the last post - you've got the facts you need to move forward. You've done great work researching and considering options. You've listened and comprehended the advice given. It's time to start gaining experience. Time to start making.

Skimmer arrives today, and i should order the filter cups soon as well. That will allow me to scale everything appropriately. I should be able to find 1/4 inch acrylic at lowes, so we are close to putting this together.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a DSB. I would put it in a container or run a remote DSB in case something goes wrong or you decide to remove it. A DSB can crash your tank by the way if it goes wrong. Instead of rocks I would use marine pure blocks in the sump.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a DSB. I would put it in a container or run a remote DSB in case something goes wrong or you decide to remove it. A DSB can crash your tank by the way if it goes wrong. Instead of rocks I would use marine pure blocks in the sump.

Trying to grow pods in the sump as well.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATS, marine pure block, or chaeto are all places pods can live and I’m sure there’s more.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DSB can work but it has risks that other methods that do the same thing don’t have. The question for you to think of is the risk worth it to you. I was going to run a DSB myself but decided not to because I read to many post about tank crashes and the DSB getting blamed. Someone will probably post about how they have been running a DSB for 10 years with no problem but over all there seems to be more post about tank crashes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just things to consider before you add a deep sand bed.

There doesn't seem to be any conclusive evidence that a DSB is detrimental. Most folks avoid it because it CAN go wrong. I'll be using a DSB in my DT so the gobys have somewhere to play and be happy, but in the fuge, I'll go with MarinePure and rubble.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back