40 g reef safe wrasses?

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all the fish I want and need in my 40g last fish I want is a wrasse and can’t figure out what I want. What are your cool favorite peaceful wrasses. ?! Upgrading tank within a year or less. Stocking - 2 yellow head paired jawfish fox face 2 clown and watchman goby

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g is really pushing in terms of a fairy or flasher wrasse. They're active fish and do better with room to move. You might get away with a super mellow one like a Pintail or Rhomboid ... but there's a good chance it will make for a jumpy, high-strung fish.

Heck, even my pink-streaked wrasse went from being a shy recluse to a happy, always-out-and-about fish when I moved it from my 20g to a 4' long 65g.

IMHO, the only wrasses suited to a 40g would be one of the pygmy wrasses ... and even then, as illustrated by my pink-streaked wrasse, you probably won't get to enjoy their true 'personalities'.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g is really pushing in terms of a fairy or flasher wrasse. They're active fish and do better with room to move. You might get away with a super mellow one like a Pintail or Rhomboid ... but there's a good chance it will make for a jumpy, high-strung fish.

Heck, even my pink-streaked wrasse went from being a shy recluse to a happy, always-out-and-about fish when I moved it from my 20g to a 4' long 65g.

IMHO, the only wrasses suited to a 40g would be one of the pygmy wrasses ... and even then, as illustrated by my pink-streaked wrasse, you probably won't get to enjoy their true 'personalities'.
I’m not so worried on size knowing this 40 breeder is only a temp tank and getting ready for a hoss tank so I’m looking into a future wrasse 2 -3 inches and grow for my new tank. Just not sure what I’m wanting to go with as there’s so many available. Flasher wrasse or leopard. I dont know lol

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not so worried on size knowing this 40 breeder is only a temp tank and getting ready for a hoss tank so I’m looking into a future wrasse 2 -3 inches and grow for my new tank. Just not sure what I’m wanting to go with as there’s so many available. Flasher wrasse or leopard. I dont know lol
Ah, in that case, these are the fairy wrasses I've had experience from most mellow to least mellow:

- Pintail (c. isosceles)
- lunatus
- lubbocki
- exquisitus (both african and fijian (no red)

They were all low-aggression, but both of the exquisites surprised me a little in that they were noticably more aggressive that the others even as juveniles ... a lot of regular, frequent chasing of other fairies to show and maintain dominance compared to the rest. (BTW - the two exquisites were not held together.)

While I've not had one, it's my understanding Rhomboids can be very mellow as well, much like the pintail.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, in that case, these are the fairy wrasses I've had experience from most mellow to least mellow:

- Pintail (c. isosceles)
- lunatus
- lubbocki
- exquisitus (both african and fijian (no red)

They were all low-aggression, but both of the exquisites surprised me a little in that they were noticably more aggressive that the others even as juveniles ... a lot of regular, frequent chasing of other fairies to show and maintain dominance compared to the rest. (BTW - the two exquisites were not held together.)

While I've not had one, it's my understanding Rhomboids can be very mellow as well, much like the pintail.
Perfect thank you very much I’ll look Into them !

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some of the wrasse I have experience with, most mellow to least:
- Radiant wrasse,
- Lubbocki (Cebu),
- Scott’s fairy wrasse (Be warned, these are known to be aggressive)
- Lubbocki (Indonesian, although it’s instead flashing instead of chasing, and the only wrasse I have that flashes - Yes hes in the same tank as the other Lubbock)
- Jade wrasse

other wrasse I have had experience with:
- 2 Naokoae (I have had two and still own one, the other jumped a year before I got the new one and the first flashed every night, the new one almost never flashes),
- Silver belly (She was calm as ever, tied with the radiant and showed no care in the world for the tang that was in before her)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back