40 Gallon Breeder Stocking Suggestions

Beaker1811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to convert my 20 Gallon tank into a much-needed quarantine tank and shift the current inhabitants to a new 40 gallon breeder once it cycles. I'm looking for suggestions for compatible tank mates. This will be a soft coral reef tank, so I don't need anything that will munch on my corals . I also don't plan on another upgrade for a long time, so tank size appropriate suggestions only please! TIA!

Current inhabitants:
1 pair of Percula Clowns
1 Pictus Blenny

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well upgrading to the 36" length gives you some new options.

Could look at flasher wrasses. Or one of the smaller fairy wrasses like a Lubbock's.

Generic goby/pistol shrimp pair

Hawkfish (longnose or flame)

Maybe a smaller puffer?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flasher wrasses are some of the coolest fish in the hobby imo. you could look into a small one to be the "centerpiece" of your 40b. other fish to consider are basslets, small gobies, mandarins (if you have a fuge), hawkfish, or firefish.

OP
OP
Beaker1811

Beaker1811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I could get away with the Pictus Blenny, a yellow Watchman Goby, and a Rainford's Goby in the same tank, or would they not get along?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I could get away with the Pictus Blenny, a yellow Watchman Goby, and a Rainford's Goby in the same tank, or would they not get along?
it's a bigger concern if they compete for food. i would definitely do the YWG, and ik rainfords can be picky so i would either do that on its own with a thriving fuge full of microfauna, or do maybe 2 gobies that are easy-care and compete for food. i'm not knowledgeable on pictus gobies though.

OP
OP
Beaker1811

Beaker1811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well upgrading to the 36" length gives you some new options.

Could look at flasher wrasses. Or one of the smaller fairy wrasses like a Lubbock's.

Generic goby/pistol shrimp pair

Hawkfish (longnose or flame)

Maybe a smaller puffer?
I have heard mixed reviews on hawkfish but they are beautiful! I have 1 small skunk cleaner shrimp and 1 Pictus Blenny (tiny little guy). Would they become lunch for a hawkfish?

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard mixed reviews on hawkfish but they are beautiful! I have 1 small skunk cleaner shrimp and 1 Pictus Blenny (tiny little guy). Would they become lunch for a hawkfish?
The shrimp might become lunch especially after it molts and its new shell is still hardening.

That blenny looks just like a tailspot just with different colors, it’d probably be fine as long as the hawkfish is well fed. YMMV.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back