40 Gallon Breeder Sump DIY - Feedback?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the price point. I'd be better off buy a pre-made sump. Id need at least 1/4 or 5/16 thick glass.

I only paid $30 for mine. You could even buy a cheap tank and take it apart. I seen people buy a $20 tank and make baffles out of it.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate is for mechanical filtration - I have some blue and white standard I will change out every couple of days. Truly, I just dont want particles from the refugium going through the return pump...

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work..
I agree on the baffle expansion issue but i also think poly-carbonate will flex more then acrylic so your probably safe.
I am currently Building a new Sump for my NEW Tank install (using the old newly tore down and resealed 150 gallon for my new sump. This will let me combine a few of the tanks in the basement into one .
My only suggestion (thou im late to comment) Do away with the Filter socks and crate a micron filter pad area instead.. Running sockless with the ability to add filter media when needed in my opinion is better .

Thank you for sharing

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work..
I agree on the baffle expansion issue but i also think poly-carbonate will flex more then acrylic so your probably safe.
I am currently Building a new Sump for my NEW Tank install (using the old newly tore down and resealed 150 gallon for my new sump. This will let me combine a few of the tanks in the basement into one .
My only suggestion (thou im late to comment) Do away with the Filter socks and crate a micron filter pad area instead.. Running sockless with the ability to add filter media when needed in my opinion is better .

Thank you for sharing

+1

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good idea thank you. I have it all put back together but I may go with your idea to go sockless. Once I get it running in the next couple days I’ll put a video of the new flow. I’m hoping for around 2000 gallons per hour

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good idea thank you. I have it all put back together but I may go with your idea to go sockless. Once I get it running in the next couple days I’ll put a video of the new flow. I’m hoping for around 2000 gallons per hour

On the sockless idea do you just go to hundred micron or less or do you have some other media that you like the best?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the sockless idea do you just go to hundred micron or less or do you have some other media that you like the best?
There is a few threads on here about the best and cheapest materials You can use felt 100 or 5o micron filter pad made for Aquariums or buy buld Quilting Felt, If you google Rainbow Quilting felt you can find many places to get it.. Walmart and most small and local craft places has it.. The key is it MUST NOT Say Flame Retardant on the package. If it says product is flammable you are also good , When i buy new roll I cut it down to sizes i need and run it thru the washing maching With bleach . then a second rinse cycle. Let it air dry . Of course you can make filter socks from this materials as well.

Good Luck

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely learning as I go here so thank you for the information and I’m gonna give it a shot. Right out front will just wrote you fish in there until I get all my parameters perfect and get my maintenance schedule down pat. Thank you again

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Example here is the new Sump I just built. Will change it out next week sometime .
new sump 150.jpg

Pay no attention to the Area . This is where i spray doors and Trim for work .

Anyway you can see the Egg crate areas where filter media can be added.. This one is 150 gallons . But my Reef tank is Bigger

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Example here is the new Sump I just built. Will change it out next week sometime .
new sump 150.jpg

Pay no attention to the Area . This is where i spray doors and Trim for work .

Anyway you can see the Egg crate areas where filter media can be added.. This one is 150 gallons . But my Reef tank is Bigger
I see now that’s excellent I’m a go ahead and rip apart the first bar and throw that in .

I’m also going to make a couple of 20 long Sumpd one as a back up and one is a quarantine tank sump Certainly would be easier to remove and just simply replace instead of squishing out thosesocks

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people will go with out pads or socks and just let the skimmer take it out as long as you keep things stired up. You could also add a CC to the sump. Just a few options.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - so the sump has been in and running for a few weeks while the cycling is happening. I put some marine pure in along with a smaller skimmer and just put in chaeto today...

I have another larger marine pure block (4"x8") going in tomorrow under the skimmer for a skimmer lift and for a bunch more surface area..

Question for today..... WHERE DO YOU PUT THE ATO LEVEL AND FEED TUBE? MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THE LEVEL... I CURRENTLY HAVE IT IN WITH THE RETURN BUT NOT SURE IF THAT IS BEST... I have the standard Tunze 3155...

Back