40 Gallon Reef tank

TiptopGrain785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 40 gallon reef tank for my first tank and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what I have so far that would be great

I so far am planning on putting in a
1 Caribbean jewel damsel
2 Clowns
5 Super Nassarius snails
1 Emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp

Also planning on putting in some coral
1 Pulsing Xenia
1 Alpha Omega Zoas

Wondering what else I should put in my tank or what might not work for this tank.

Also wondering if it is possible to run a regular fish tank filter on a 40 instead of a sump but I have had mixed feedback on this topic so unsure what to do.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am setting up a 40 gallon reef tank for my first tank and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what I have so far that would be great

1 Caribbean jewel damsel
2 Clowns
5 Super Nassarius snails
1 Emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp

1 Pulsing Xenia
1 Alpha Omega Zoas

Wondering what else I should put in my tank or what might not work for this tank.

Also wondering if it is possible to run a regular fish tank filter on a 40 instead of a sump but I have had mixed feedback on this topic so unsure what to do.
make sure the tank is cycled before putting livestock in. read up on the cycling process if you haven't already.

you can make due with a HOB filter, but keep in mind you will have keep an eye in your parameters. you're better off with a HOB skimmer rather than a filter.

livestock choices are good. you can get away with another fish, MAYBE 2 depending on size and filtration. i personally have 6 fish in my 40b but i do have a lot of filtration.

OP
OP
T

TiptopGrain785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also heard that damsels can be very agressive does anyone have any tips for keeping them from attacking their tank mates

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Caribbean jewel damsel
2 Clowns
5 Super Nassarius snails
1 Emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp

1 Pulsing Xenia
1 Alpha Omega Zoas

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a regular filter on a 40 gallon but I would suggest 2 really good ones or one and a hob protein skimmer. For fish if you have the right filtration you could put 2 or 3 more. Some good fish for a 40 gallon are small wrasse, blennies, gobies,cardinals, royal gramma, obviously clownfish , ect

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribbean jewel are supposed to be one of the meaner guys. You may want to go for one of the more mellow guys like azure, springer, or yellowtail.
That said, lots of hiding places and good, tough fish will hold up to the damsel well.
I agree with the suggestions @Hud made. All are very good beginner fish.
Shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp makes for a very good display as they have a symbiosis that is very fun to watch.
Peppermint shrimp are known to attack corals, so you may want to go for a skunk cleaner.
Nassarius snails keep the sandbed clear but won’t do much for algae on the glass and rocks. I’d recommend also getting some astrea snails in addition to the nassarius.
Hermit crabs are also a fun addition.
You don’t necessarily need a sump, but over filtration is important. They do make hob filters that are adequate for salt tanks. For extra flow get a powerhead, and a skimmer would probably be necessary.
Lighting is also something to consider. The stock lights on most tanks are barely sufficient for anything but nuisance algae and the easiest corals. Most need something quite powerful for proper growth.
Good beginner corals are leathers, zoas, Xenia, gsp, shrooms (supposedly…no luck with mine), and clove polyps. As time goes on you can look into lps and later sps.
Nems can’t go in for a while.

OP
OP
T

TiptopGrain785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribbean jewel are supposed to be one of the meaner guys. You may want to go for one of the more mellow guys like azure, springer, or yellowtail.
That said, lots of hiding places and good, tough fish will hold up to the damsel well.
Shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp makes for a very good display as they have a symbiosis that is very fun to watch.
Peppermint shrimp are known to attack corals, so you may want to go for a skunk cleaner.
Nassarius snails keep the sandbed clear but won’t do much for algae on the glass and rocks. I’d recommend also getting some astrea snails in addition to the nassarius.
You don’t necessarily need a sump, but over filtration is important. They do make hob filters that are adequate for salt tanks. For extra flow get a powerhead, and a skimmer would probably be necessary.
Lighting is also something to consider. The stock lights on most tanks are barely sufficient for anything but nuisance algae and the easiest corals. Most need something quite powerful for proper growth.
Good beginner corals are leathers, zoas, Xenia, gsp, shrooms (supposedly…no luck with mine), and clove polyps. As time goes on you can look into lps and later sps.
Nems can’t go in for a while
thanks

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems can’t go in for a while.

Talbot's Damsel is a great addition to any reef. mild tempered and very attractive.

For the clean-up crew, all the above suggestions are good. I have never had an issue with my peppermint shrimp destroying corals, maybe I am lucky idk. Hermit crabs are fantastic at wiping out algae, unfortunately they are also fantastic at wiping out snails. be aware.

For filtration, I like canister filters over HoB ones. I feel they are far superior at cleaning and also much quieter. Plus, you get the added water volume as if using a sump. You have a 40g tank, I would go with a canister for a 50-60g size. As stated above, over-filtration is never a bad thing.

The list of beginner friendly corals is a long one... Do a little reading here and you will find plenty of options to choose from.

Good luck with your build and of course, Welcome to the Dark Side!!

Welcome.jpg

OP
OP
T

TiptopGrain785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the support on this also was wondering if you guys had any advice on good tanks and filters, equipment etc. I am on a budget would like to spent under $400 on the equipment but wasn't sure where to get the best equipment for the best price.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for all the support on this also was wondering if you guys had any advice on good tanks and filters, equipment etc. I am on a budget would like to spent under $400 on the equipment but wasn't sure where to get the best equipment for the best price.
look here under the classfields/marketplace. check any local FB groups as well as craigslist/offerup. loooooooots of bargains! just be patient.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do "reptile" tanks work or do they not work as well?
Reptile tanks are often made with extra ventilation so may have holes in them. If it’s just a glass box no different than a fish tank it would work though.
I would suggest an all in one tank. They have filtration and such built in, and usually save you money.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey any ideas on a final fish that would really pop in a reef tank while not needing extreme care requirements

My favorites are either not reef safe or are not suitable for a 40g tank or both....

What I think "pops" may not be what you like.

Perhaps a better approach would be to start searching what is available to you. If you find something you like, and are unsure, post the question here and we can help you decide.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorites are either not reef safe or are not suitable for a 40g tank or both....

What I think "pops" may not be what you like.

Perhaps a better approach would be to start searching what is available to you. If you find something you like, and are unsure, post the question here and we can help you decide.
Agreed
Everyone has different opinions.
If you give your current stocking plan and give some guidelines for the last fish as far as color and personality goes we can definitely find something though.
Personally I’d look at a dwarf angel, but these can be problematic with coral.

OP
OP
T

TiptopGrain785

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking possible the coral beauty dwarf angel. Would that be a good tank mate? I did a little bit of research and apparently they are compatible with the other fish I want for my reef.

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking possible the coral beauty dwarf angel. Would that be a good tank mate? I did a little bit of research and apparently they are compatible with the other fish I want for my reef.
Dwarf angelfish are a 50/50 chance they will nip at corals so it’s up to you if you want to take that chance. A cool fish is a flame hawk fish only if you don’t have inverts

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back