40 Gallon Reef tank

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just
Dwarf angelfish are a 50/50 chance they will nip at corals so it’s up to you if you want to take that chance. A cool fish is a flame hawk fish only if you don’t have inverts
Also see what’s available like @Jedi1199 said don’t have a list and stick to that just go to your lfs and see what you like do reaserch and it and then buy it

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with a HOB filter try to get one with surface skimming. The biggest issue with non-drilled tanks is keeping film off the water surface which inhibits gas exchange. If I remember correctly SeaChem makes a line of HOB filters that have surface skimming built in.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tangs will do well in less than a 90, and that’s for the smaller species. Blue needs at least 125-150.
Yellowtail or springer damsel has similar markings to a blue tang.

PrestonH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the support on this also was wondering if you guys had any advice on good tanks and filters, equipment etc. I am on a budget would like to spent under $400 on the equipment but wasn't sure where to get the best equipment for the best price.
Honestly I was on a budget too, I bought a fish tank ensemble from pet smart for 130 dollars. Luckily it was 50% (40 gallon),then I bought a hang on filter for 32 dollars(top-fin) of course I got an air pump and had to buy more powerful light for my reef tank. The expensive part wasn't the equipment it was actually the live rock, I think I spent over 200 dollars alone on live rock. I have had 0 problems with this cheap setup and it looks gorgeous and could even support the condy anemone, two clownfish, valantini puffer. I plan to out coral in next when I get home from vacation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back