402 Gal Deep In-Wall Build

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone! I have been watching other builds and threads for years. I have kept smaller reef tanks in the past with a 75 gal, 125, and a 210 reef. My wife and I moved a few years ago, and I knew I wanted to do a bigger build in the next house. I have been collecting equipment over the last couple of years in preparation for this new tank. We are now finishing our basement, and it’s becoming more of a reality!

The tank will be a little different given the layout of our house, but I’m trying to make the most of it. The dimensions will be 66”x44”x32” tall. It will be an in-wall build with the viewable panel being the 44” side. It will be kind of like a peninsula style tank, but with just the one side viewable. I think the deep dimension of it will be cool and unique.

I was able to do a small fish-room, but have to keep the cold-storage room that is attached to my fish room accessible. It will be a little tight, but I’m still really excited. I had a plumber come in and chisel up the floor to put in a floor drain, and a utility sink. I have since epoxy’d the floor to make clean up easier and give it a nice clean look.

I am in the process of wiring the basement, and want to make sure I get it right! More to come, and lots of questions for those of you who have done this already!

OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4DF75096-AC7A-4905-81BD-07F8A09EB566.jpeg
352E7B88-134B-410F-A596-84B5EEC82832.jpeg
2A4CDD5A-CC2C-4501-80DC-EB86785960FD.jpeg

OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out how many plugs I’ll need. Right now the plan is to split the fish room on to two 20 amp breakers. The way it sits now, I have two 2-gang boxes right where the tank will be, and two 1-gang boxes on the other walls in the room. I will have my apex with 3 eb832’s to control most of the equipment. I also have the older eb8 from my other apex I could add. So I guess I’m wondering if I’ll need more plugs?

For equipment I will have:
-Two Cor20 return pumps
-Two 60” T5 hybrid lights with four xr30’s and two xr15’s.
-Reef Octo 5000 protein skimmer
-Two MP40w’s
-Two Maxspect xf350’s
-Two Apex WAV pumps
-UV sterilizer
-Heater
-Cal Reactor
-Auto top off
-Two DOS pumps. One for water changes, and one for dosing
-120w IceCap Algae scrubber
and probably some more things I can’t think of right now…

BDC98EF1-5D40-44B2-A5F4-92100FF8A3AC.jpeg

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to have too many plugs than not enough. You have what about 25 plugs already? Hopefully the eb832 powerbars have gotten better with the upgrade from the older model, heard several people have issues with them. I havent jumped on a controller yet, leaning towards ghl since I have the mitras lights. I have the SRO 5000 or 6000 (don't remember which). Works almost too well on my tank. Get a good skimmate for a day or two then nothing. Feed the fish like 3 times daily. Guess the refugium is helping a bit too. Also wish my fish room had a indoor drain. But we'd have to make about a 120 foot channel to the sump drain on the below grade basement. So utility sink with a sump pump it is.

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing it come together! The long view into the tank sounds really unique. In my current build I can view in from the side 84".

What will it be stocked with?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of the same theme as the Oregon Reef. Steve’s was 72”x 90” deep. Should be cool!

OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing it come together! The long view into the tank sounds really unique. In my current build I can view in from the side 84".

What will it be stocked with?
I love genicanthus angels, so I’m planning on a few females. I currently have a caudovittatus, and want a bellus and semifasciatus. I have a few tangs, some wrasse, and wanting some anthias. There will be others as well, but those are the bigger ones.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!! That tank is one of my favorites! Definitely an inspiration to my tank
Yes, I’d say having a tank that goes far back into the wall adds a layer of mystery. Like what’s all going on back there that you can’t fully see.

OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out the best way to get a stand in place so I can move forward with the basement. With a steel stand I would have to remove a window and it would be very tight.

For the sake of an easier install, and ability to remove if needed, I’m leaning towards doing an extruded aluminum stand that I can put together in the basement.

Im looking for input on a good source for the aluminum, and if it would be better to do 6 legs, or 8 legs for stability, and overall construction?
Thanks!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back