44 Gallon Upgrade Lighting

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Dave Dumanski, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM.

1. Dave Dumanski

Dave Dumanski New Member

Hi, I'm currently running a 30 gallon (36Lx12Wx18H) mixed tank (softies and LPS) with 4 T5 lighting and about to upgrade to a 44 gallon (36Lx12Wx24H) I wanted to also upgrade to LED lighting. Was looking for some suggestions that won't break my wallet but will keep my coral healthy and growing. thank you!

Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

When you say break your wallet, what kind of cap are we looking at $$ wise? There are a multitude of lighting options out there from the Mars Aqua black box for 100 bucks, or all the way up to the Kessils and Radions that are 700-900$

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:30 AM
    Ergodyne and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  3. Dave Dumanski

Dave Dumanski New Member

I was hoping to keep it around or under $500, plus I assume I'll need more then 1 fixture.

Ergodyne and crabs_mcjones like this.
  4. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

For 500 you could do the Photon 32-V2 https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-32-v2/
    Or an SB Reef light https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/10-sbox-extreme-32-wifi.html
    Both of these lights are awesome and grow coral like crazy.
    @saltyfilmfolks will vouch for the SB lights :)
    and you would only need one fixture :) otherwise with kessil, ai or ecotech you're looking at over 600 minimum

5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

All great choices.
    Myself , also as a huge advocate of patience (and a chronic cheapskate ), is wait till Jan if I could , a lot of folks just upgraded thier lights for Black Friday. Used is a very good option.

I had 3 Ai Sols on my 55. That's around $1500 + new. I got them for 400.

6. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I would go with one of the 32" Black Boxes or you could probably get away with two or three AI Prime's if your aquascape is simple and you're only going to keep LPS and softies. Right now there's a lot of stuff on sale for the holidays but like Salty said lights will probably flood the used market after Christmas.

7. Dave Dumanski

Dave Dumanski New Member

Awesome thank you all for your great comments :) I do plan on waying all my options before purchasing anything and I will definitely keep an eye on the used markets ;)

8. EastSideBAy

EastSideBAy Member

i vote for the reef breeder photon aswell really good light and battle corals uses them as well for their sps tank

Dave Dumanski and Ergodyne like this.
  9. Ergodyne

Ergodyne Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I would go for the photon v2 as well. I recently got one, and am very impressed so far. My girlfriend and friends comment on how much nicer it is than my old black box. Not just the fixture, itself, but the way it makes the tank look as well.

Sb reef lights are a great option as well. Those ultra’s look awfully powerful.

Dave Dumanski likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted