45 gallons Acros tank

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing your tank makes me question my lighting setup, I have a 55 gallon elos 70 with 2x XR15 pros over the tank, I had been running the AB+ schedule at 80% intensity for a total of 5 months and had slow to decent growth. I have since switched back to the radiant colors profile that's in ESL and dropped the % down to 70%, I have had better PE since moving it back down.

Now what makes me question my tank is that here you are running probably 2-3x the lighting and have stunning growth and color, Do you think I am running my lights too low?

Here is what I am working with:

eOsfQMa.jpg

I have montis growing on the bottom of the tank as well as the top.

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing your tank makes me question my lighting setup, I have a 55 gallon elos 70 with 2x XR15 pros over the tank, I had been running the AB+ schedule at 80% intensity for a total of 5 months and had slow to decent growth. I have since switched back to the radiant colors profile that's in ESL and dropped the % down to 70%, I have had better PE since moving it back down.

Now what makes me question my tank is that here you are running probably 2-3x the lighting and have stunning growth and color, Do you think I am running my lights too low?

Here is what I am working with:

eOsfQMa.jpg

I have montis growing on the bottom of the tank as well as the top.

I would say you need to test your par if you are not sure.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice colors! I'm curious what are you running your NO3/PO4 at? Would love to see what your hood looks like too!

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice colors! I'm curious what are you running your NO3/PO4 at? Would love to see what your hood looks like too!

Here it is:
IMG_5418.JPG

Last three tests came up with:
- 25-50ppm NO3 (Salufert)
- 0ppm (Hana Phosphorus checker)

I couldn't explain the numbers so I stop testing them (since September)

Since I don't run any reactor and I feed my corals every day I suspect that my nutrient is very high!

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of par are you getting in your rank? I run 3 of the XR15 pros and (4) 54w T5s on my 150g

To be honest, I have no idea!

"Bad hair" day:[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
31131272551_058846c90c_o.jpg

31101676382_c88595387d_o.jpg

Don't mind this picture, bad one. The polyps catch too much reflection make the picture blow out. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
31209702276_f4520ff4ab_o.jpg

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful sps. I can never get PE like that during the day. Does reef rounds really work?

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful sps. I can never get PE like that during the day. Does reef rounds really work?

Haha, you were right. Those were night time shot! [emoji39]
The rest of my pictures were daytime/normal lighting shots.

I don't know if acros really "eat" Reefroids or not (they do show feeding responses), but it does help raising the nutrients for sure.
Beside that I find out the Reefroids's particles are very very fine so if acros do catch food by their polyps (theory?!) , the Reefroid's particles will fit their "mount".

cprice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a great looking tank! I'm hoping my colors can get as full as yours!

IMG_1071.JPG

Where are your nitrates specifically?

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr V this is a very well thought out system and its working superb. The SPS look lovely.

What return pump are you using? - I can see blue bits in right side of the sump so appears to be a Vectra M1? What % setting or watts are you running the return pump?

Lastly, how old is the tank?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr V this is a very well thought out system and its working superb. The SPS look lovely.

What return pump are you using? - I can see blue bits in right side of the sump so appears to be a Vectra M1? What % setting or watts are you running the return pump?

Lastly, how old is the tank?

Thanks.

Yes, I use the vectra m1 pump. The pump is used as a main return, chiller and the frag tank.
The tank has been running for more than 2 years but everything started doing very good for about 6~7 months as I remember.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use the vectra m1 pump. The pump is used as a main return, chiller and the frag tank.
The tank has been running for more than 2 years but everything started doing very good for about 6~7 months as I remember.

Thanks. Do you recall if you made any changes that could gave brought about the improvement?

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you recall if you made any changes that could gave brought about the improvement?

Yes. I totally changed my nutrient export method.

I stopped chasing numbers ( From 0ppm Nitrate&Phosphate not I have 25ppm~50ppm Nitrate. Still ~0ppm Phosphate)

I started by get rid of all of my reactors (gfo, bio pellet). However, I regret getting rid of them too quickly, a lot of my acro rtn when I did that

I changed to a designer sump (Emerald green), changed new skimmer (Nyos 250).
Nutrients exporting relied only on 2 Marine Pure Block (8x4) and Marine Pure sphere, chaeto, skimmer.

I believe that reactors strip nutrient too aggressive and too fast, when bacteria works differently. They rise and decline simultaneously to the tank's nutrient level.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get your sps stuck to the glass? I tried before and the glue doesn't hold for me. Also, do you target feed or just dose the tank?

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back