pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast @Jay Hemdal

Been two days and he hasn't eaten anything unfortunately, guys got any tips? He might just still be upset from shipping but not sure, shop said he was eating frozen. I tried shrimp, scallops, silverslides - all frozen. And i tried dipping silver slides in garlic oil. I've only seen him out early in the morning otherwise he's in that little spot in the rock

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast @Jay Hemdal

Been two days and he hasn't eaten anything unfortunately, guys got any tips? He might just still be upset from shipping but not sure, shop said he was eating frozen. I tried shrimp, scallops, silverslides - all frozen. And i tried dipping silver slides in garlic oil. I've only seen him out early in the morning otherwise he's in that little spot in the rock

I often can get these feeding using live guppies impaled on a broomstraw....then I had a bunch of people ask, what the heck is a broomstraw (grin). You need to move the guppy slowly to the shark's mouth and don't bump it, as the shark might get frightened.

Jay

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often can get these feeding using live guppies impaled on a broomstraw....then I had a bunch of people ask, what the heck is a broomstraw (grin). You need to move the guppy slowly to the shark's mouth and don't bump it, as the shark might get frightened.

Jay
Freshwater guppies? I'll give that a try! And also hate to admit I don't know what a broomstraw is either hahaha! Will a Bamboo stick work? Thanks for the advice Jay

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My bill Murray and dragonrider have got to be my favs out of the group, they really pop!

When I upgrade my tank, I'll definitely be looking into them! There will be a move in the next year or 2, so I don't want to deal with the stress of moving them and risking them. Great job so far, tank looks awesome and a big fan of your stocking choices!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Maybe they would not be the best choice (unless they were raised in saltwater) since their nutrient composition would be suitable for freshwater, rather than saltwater predators.

I have read good things about feeding live marine Grass/Glass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio and other similar species). However, they might need to have their rostrums broken off before feeding as they could get logged into the throats of predators. They can also be kept in the refugium where they can breed and consume detritus (I have heard they have a preference for grazing off the surface of Codium algae (they don’t eat said macroalgae though)).

Links to purchase:
Shark Supply LLC
Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
Aquaculture Nursery Farms
eBay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they would not be the best choice (unless they were raised in saltwater) since their nutrient composition would be suitable for freshwater, rather than saltwater predators.

I have read good things about feeding live marine Grass/Glass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio and other similar species). However, they might need to have their rostrums broken off before feeding as they could get logged into the throats of predators. They can also be kept in the refugium where they can breed and consume detritus (I have heard they have a preference for grazing off the surface of Codium algae (they don’t eat said macroalgae though)).

Links to purchase:
Shark Supply LLC
Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
Aquaculture Nursery Farms
eBay

Guppies are fine, and this is just to get them started feeding. Guppies don't contain thiaminase, which is what causes problems with feeding FW fish to SW (goldfish and rosy reds, the two common feeder fish DO contain large amounts of thiaminase).

The issue with baby coral catsharks sharks is that they don't have much of a hunting instinct and they are shy. Guppies on a thin stick is often a good way to get them started.

If the OP hadn't said the shark had been feeding for the store, I would say not to even worry, it is pretty common for hatchling sharks not to feed for up to two weeks.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater guppies? I'll give that a try! And also hate to admit I don't know what a broomstraw is either hahaha! Will a Bamboo stick work? Thanks for the advice Jay
Bamboo is too thick. People have used heavy monofilament fishing leader, that works even better because it is clear. Anything large and visible and the shark is going to shy away from it.

Bear in mind - this may not work. There could be other reasons the shark isn't feeding.

Jay

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bamboo is too thick. People have used heavy monofilament fishing leader, that works even better because it is clear. Anything large and visible and the shark is going to shy away from it.

Bear in mind - this may not work. There could be other reasons the shark isn't feeding.

Jay
Missed this reply, the monofilament sounds great! Thanks again for all the help

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back