OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Bird wrasse! Can’t wait to see more livestock added to this aquarium!

Another suggestion. If you don’t plan on adding any small invertebrates and fish, you could try adding a flounder (the strangest sand sifter I can think of).
https://www.marinefishez.com/saltwater-fish/misc-saltwater-fish/flounder-lrg-detail
https://www.marinefishez.com/saltwater-fish/misc-saltwater-fish/flounder-detail
https://gulfspecimen.org/specimen/fish/boney-fish/
Flounder might be a cool addition! I already can't keep inverts or small fish because the ray eats them very quickly

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot right now. Trying to figure out how to get nitrates under control before I add more. I don't really want to do nopox and I'm also trying a no water change system but they are creeping up day by day and my chaeto doesn't seem to want to grow. I got a new light for it and I'm hoping it helps things out. Despite my nitrates being at 35 everything seems happy which is good!

After I can balance things out I'm going to get a catsharks egg and maybe another tang or two

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot right now. Trying to figure out how to get nitrates under control before I add more. I don't really want to do nopox and I'm also trying a no water change system but they are creeping up day by day and my chaeto doesn't seem to want to grow. I got a new light for it and I'm hoping it helps things out. Despite my nitrates being at 35 everything seems happy which is good!
What are the specifications of the new light and is the Chaetomorpha receiving enough phosphates and trace elements? People tend to forget that last one (see this: Brightwell Aquatics Chaeto GRO).

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After I can balance things out I'm going to get a catsharks egg and maybe another tang or two
I'm not sure it's possible to do a predator tank without either aggressive water change or heavy filtration... chaeto likely won't be enough, especially if you're attempting to keep SPS. Your system looks really young. Please don't take this as me nitpicking, I genuinely want you to succeed.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it's possible to do a predator tank without either aggressive water change or heavy filtration... chaeto likely won't be enough, especially if you're attempting to keep SPS. Your system looks really young. Please don't take this as me nitpicking, I genuinely want you to succeed.
Of course, it's always possible to set up a massive display refugium with a large variety of macroalgae, seagrasses, and mangroves as well as live substrate, but that would be rather difficult to set up and maintain alongside OP's tank.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input! I also realize it might not work but I wanted to try it out, everything looks really healthy and if I need to I can do water changes. I do have heavy filtration with two stages of mechanical (Socks and fleece) plus a skimmer that's rated for heavy bioload at my volume. And a pretty large refugium. But we will see!! I'll certainly keep you all updated

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input! I also realize it might not work but I wanted to try it out, everything looks really healthy and if I need to I can do water changes. I do have heavy filtration with two stages of mechanical (Socks and fleece) plus a skimmer that's rated for heavy bioload at my volume. And a pretty large refugium. But we will see!! I'll certainly keep you all updated
I went back and double checked... I saw your first posts about ordering the tank but missed the assembly. I think your filtration looks good, but I'm not sure it'll be enough without water changes or something like NOPOX. At least if you have to dose NOPOX, it'll be extra food for your coral! I'll keep up to date with you. I'd love to see how your nutrients work out.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're brave to put torches and sticks in that tank with so many clodhoppers! I wish you luck in keeping your future colonies in one piece. Lol
I had never heard the word clodhopper but it's really accurate LOL! I got some clumsy fish. And I'm definitely worried about my sticks... If I'm being honest I've already had a casualty (broke overnight and then RTNd) but I'm actually surprised at how great all my torches are doing and I'm not too worries about them. All have thick stems and they retract a bit when fred lays on them but they bounce back almost immediately after he leaves! Same with all my gonis

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Round stingray looks a little pale. Does it seem stressed or am I just being confused by the lighting?
He's the same color since I got him and his behavior hasn't changed either. I'd say he's just solid grey and a bit darker than he seems in that picture. I'll keep an eye on it though!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's the same color since I got him and his behavior hasn't changed either. I'd say he's just solid grey and a bit darker than he seems in that picture. I'll keep an eye on it though!
That’s a relief! Thanks for the reply!
Also, I just remembered another suggestion I have for your build (I just have so many! Sorry!). Some thick and thin Branching coralline algae would look nice alongside the SPS and make the rock look more mature (they will spread in their encrusting form on the rock, much like ordinary Coralline, in addition to branching outward).

Back