pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a relief! Thanks for the reply!
Also, I just remembered another suggestion I have for your build (I just have so many! Sorry!). Some thick and thin Branching coralline algae would look nice alongside the SPS and make the rock look more mature (they will spread in their encrusting form on the rock, much like ordinary Coralline, in addition to branching outward).
No need to apologize!! It's nice having people here actually interested in the build and knowledgeable on the livestock you made me nervous so I double checked and he's much darker than the picture, closer to brown. Phew! And that's a good recommendation, I'll try to find some!

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man reef tanks are tricky, even trickier with large predators since i can't have ANY cleanup crew because they get eaten so quick. So while most of my coral (save one unhappy torch, whose neighboring torches are all fine) are doing awesome, i am getting lots of really stubborn GHA popping up that is virtually impossible to scrub off. Luckily its not very dense yet. My nitrates and phos tanked before it popped up (my chaeto finally started growing with new light and grow supplement) and are now at an 8 and a 0.01 respectively. Which means now i have to do something to lift my phos because instead of it being too high its now too low. Always something to fix

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coral catshark should be purchased in the next couple weeks. Also thinking a cherry grouper, you guys think thats a good addition? Also might throw in another wrasse and/or tang. Eventually thinking 2 rays, 1/2 catsharks, grouper and/or flounder, my naso, my bird wrasse, and a handful of community fish that wont get eaten (though this might have to wait until my coral is grown out enough to give them hidey holes

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for one of the massive acanthurus tangs like a dussumieri or fowleri or maculiceps or a unicorn or vlamingii

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast @Jay Hemdal

Need some more opinions on stocking! Have one round ray, one blondie naso, one bird wrasse and will be getting a coral catshark. Dcal had some good tang recommendations but wanted to hear from you two!

Is that an Atlantic ray? They get pretty large - 18" disk diameter in aquariums I'd say, maybe 10 pounds in the wild. The big issue is you don't want "picky" fish that will go for its eyes. your fish list seems fine in that regard.

Jay

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an Atlantic ray? They get pretty large - 18" disk diameter in aquariums I'd say, maybe 10 pounds in the wild. The big issue is you don't want "picky" fish that will go for its eyes. your fish list seems fine in that regard.

Jay
Nope just a California round ray is what I have. Tank is 10x3x2 with a big open sandbed you got any favorite tank mates you could recommend or any other good species of sharks/rays large predators that would be good in a tank this size?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoever said big tanks are so much easier than small tanks can kick rocks. I thought this was so going to be easier than my 40 reef because everyone said it would be but I spend like an hour a day cleaning, feeding and tinkering with equipment - looking at you calcium reactor. And when I actually want to clean the whole tank it takes sooo long to scrape, vacuum and scrub everything. I mean the tank is awesome and super rewarding but it's miles more effort than any small tank I've kept!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some more opinions on stocking! Have one round ray, one blondie naso, one bird wrasse and will be getting a coral catshark. Dcal had some good tang recommendations but wanted to hear from you two!
Thanks for the mention! My first recommendation would be the Columbian shark catfish (Arius jordani). Usually, it is sold for the freshwater/brackish hobby, but it does well in saltwater. Lookdowns (Selene sp.) go absolutely crazy when feeding live foods (from what I’ve seen). Squirrel and Soldierfish (Holocentridae sp.) are nocturnal and hide under ledges during the day. Toadfish (such as Opsanus tau) look fascinating, though I do not know much about them. I also do not know much about Monos (Monodactylidae sp.), besides the fact that they school and can survive in fresh, brackish, and saltwater. Remoras (Echeneidae sp.) are great at removing external parasites from elasmobranchs, though the former might irritate the latter with its “sucker.” Large Northern clingfish (Gobiesox maeandricus) are likely almost indestructible and highly tame, though they, like your Round stingray, have a preference for somewhat cool water (down to the Gulf of California). I already mentioned the Yellow stingray (Urobatis jamaicensis) whose care specifications are basically identical to that of the Round stingray. If you can get your hands on it, the Striped stingaree (Trygonoptera ovalis) would provide great contrast against the sand. Finally, a Sea biscuit (Clypeaster subdepressus) would make for another odd sand sifter if you don’t care too much about sand biodiversity and are willing to feed sinking tablets/live Brine shrimp.

Lookdown feeding:

Some sites you could check/contact to see if they have/could obtain some of the rarer livestock on the list:
Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
Shark Supply LLC
Matsu Collections
MarineFishEZ

Well that was a long post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the mention! My first recommendation would be the Columbian shark catfish (Arius jordani). Usually, it is sold for the freshwater/brackish hobby, but it does well in saltwater. Lookdowns (Selene sp.) go absolutely crazy when feeding live foods (from what I’ve seen). Squirrel and Soldierfish (Holocentridae sp.) are nocturnal and hide under ledges during the day. Toadfish (such as Opsanus tau) look fascinating, though I do not know much about them. I also do not know much about Monos (Monodactylidae sp.), besides the fact that they school and can survive in fresh, brackish, and saltwater. Remoras (Echeneidae sp.) are great at removing external parasites from elasmobranchs, though the former might irritate the latter with its “sucker.” Large Northern clingfish (Gobiesox maeandricus) are likely almost indestructible and highly tame, though they, like your Round stingray, have a preference for somewhat cool water (down to the Gulf of California). I already mentioned the Yellow stingray (Urobatis jamaicensis) whose care specifications are basically identical to that of the Round stingray. If you can get your hands on it, the Striped stingaree (Trygonoptera ovalis) would provide great contrast against the sand. Finally, a Sea biscuit (Clypeaster subdepressus) would make for another odd sand sifter if you don’t care too much about sand biodiversity and are willing to feed sinking tablets/live Brine shrimp.

Lookdown feeding:

Some sites you could check/contact to see if they have/could obtain some of the rarer livestock on the list:
Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
Shark Supply LLC
Matsu Collections
MarineFishEZ

Well that was a long post.

Thanks for the effort on that! Super appreciate it and I'm looking into all of them now. I'm sure you guys will all see some of your recommendations in the tank in the coming months

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just came across a sweetlips, they look pretty cool! Anyone here ever had one?
Juveniles are very delicate. Avoid harlequin sweetlips, they are the worst of the lot.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's the same color since I got him and his behavior hasn't changed either. I'd say he's just solid grey and a bit darker than he seems in that picture. I'll keep an eye on it though!
I wondered the same thing - I've never had a Haleri that was a solid light gray like that.

Jay

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think tuxedo urchin safe in this setup? I'm having gha issues despite all my tests showing low NO3/PO4 and any other CUC i can think of is going to get eaten by my ray

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think tuxedo urchin safe in this setup? I'm having gha issues despite all my tests showing low NO3/PO4 and any other CUC i can think of is going to get eaten by my ray
No experience with rays but maybe a long spine urchin would deter the meal potential a bit??

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along with the build! What a great rewards for you and your son! This looks amazing, and I love your stocking ideas. For the other livestock ideas, I echo a vlamingi tang and maybe another midsize tang that will help with algae control but avoid being food. Also, triggers! Blue chin, niger, or a red tail. They'll have great personalities, but high on the bioload. A cool angelfish, like a regal or a majestic. While normally I'm a fan of CB angels, they'll be far too small...

As far as the water chemistry goes, have you thought about adding a mangrove to your DT? It would be a cool aesthetic with your type of tank and really help with the nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along with the build! What a great rewards for you and your son! This looks amazing, and I love your stocking ideas. For the other livestock ideas, I echo a vlamingi tang and maybe another midsize tang that will help with algae control but avoid being food. Also, triggers! Blue chin, niger, or a red tail. They'll have great personalities, but high on the bioload. A cool angelfish, like a regal or a majestic. While normally I'm a fan of CB angels, they'll be far too small...

As far as the water chemistry goes, have you thought about adding a mangrove to your DT? It would be a cool aesthetic with your type of tank and really help with the nitrates and phosphates.
Love the stocking ideas! Unfortunately triggers and angels are a big no-no since they are aggressive towards sharks and rays, tending to pick out their eyes. But i will absolutely be getting a vlamingi! In fact i tried to order one yesterday but the shop website was having issues. Ooooh i've actually always wanted a mangrove but never considered one in this tank. I was actually going to add one to a tank i have with some axolotls but definitely a possiblity. Maybe even might turn my fuge into a little mangrove mini tank or something

Thanks for following along! Definitely a great experience and my son loves it. Lots more updates to come

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stocking ideas! Unfortunately triggers and angels are a big no-no since they are aggressive towards sharks and rays, tending to pick out their eyes. But i will absolutely be getting a vlamingi! In fact i tried to order one yesterday but the shop website was having issues. Ooooh i've actually always wanted a mangrove but never considered one in this tank. I was actually going to add one to a tank i have with some axolotls but definitely a possiblity. Maybe even might turn my fuge into a little mangrove mini tank or something

Thanks for following along! Definitely a great experience and my son loves it. Lots more updates to come

I had no idea about issue with angels/triggers and rays. Love learning something new! At the risk of suggesting something else that's incompatible, a foxface or rabbitfish? Those guys are great algae eaters and tank cleaners, and have cool personalities as well. I miss my old foxface.

I love the mangrove in the new WWC tank, and that new BRS set tank. I recently got one as a freebie, and it's in my sump. I have a closed canopy tank, so it wouldn't make sense in my DT, but I love the look of the mangrove tanks. They really make a reef look like a habitat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back