OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. On Wednesday it will be 3 weeks since my tank first took water. My ammonia and nitrates have both spiked my nitrates spiked for 3 days. My ph, ammonia, nitite, nitrayes are all leveled off and are now at recommend levels. So i will wait a week and test everyday to ensure the levels stay the same. I am patiently awaiting to get my first coral. Update. About a week ago I started growing diatome algie I got a small ground crew and they have been amazing, tanks just about cleaned up and I have had my lights off for the last 3 days now to help. Thanks for reading and the support.

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Still plugging along. My ammonia and nitrates have leveled off, finally. My clean up crew is doing an amazing job keeping my tank clean of algie. I think this weekend I am purchasing my first fish or anemone. Budget is tight atm, but I think i can make something work. I will post an update pic this weekend. Thanks

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: today went to saltwater city and got some goodies for our tank. 2 yellow tip damsils, 2 black saddle back clown fish (cool looking) 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails to help my existing clean up crew, 2 emerald crab to help existing clean up crew. And we got 5 corals (dont ask what they are called i am terrible with names). Fun times. Pic will be posted soon

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NIce. Got the same tank and stand.
What light is that?
Nice, viperspectra t300. Still trying to figure it out and need to rent a par tool to map out my tank for lighting. But for my first led light I am happy with it. I am sure it is more than powerful for my tank.

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck! Watch your ammonia. that is a lot of fish at one time
I will, couldn't resist things just kept jumping into water bags for us to take home, lol. We got ***** good sales on some of the items as well. Our first time and waiting for the tank to cycle we were excited. Thanks for the concern.

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200711_114813.jpg
20200711_114813.jpg

Update. Still going strong. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates within parameters. Fighting a bit of green algie all over the glass constantly but that is the cycle process. I did place a phosphate bag in my hob to see if that will help me control it. On Wednesday will be 1 month wet.

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. This morning woke up to little tiny critters crawling on my glass. Copepods is what they is. Pretty amazing to watch a tank cycle and changes of a reef tank. The green algae seems to be slowing down a bit. Still cleaning the glass numerous times a day.

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Six weeks now and still going strong. I was in my ***** stage for almost 2 weeks and it seems the algae in my tank is receeding and only on the rocks at this point. My ammonia, ph, nitrites, nitrates are all normal. Just got my calcium, alkalinity and magnesium all within normal parameters. Getting my hana phosphate tester in a few days and will be checking that. All my clean up.crew and few fish I have are doing amazing. Along with a few corals I have in the tank all doing well. I catch myself stopping and just looking at my tank when I walk past. It is a joy to have. Not sure if I mentioned this last time but I uave copepods as well now. The wife and I are enjoying the tank and continue to be amazed at all the changes the tank makes.
Keep calm and reef on.

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 27th update tank is still plugin along. Recently got a diamond back goby very interesting fish. Have had him 4 days and has already rearranged my sand and made like piles. Also got a sea urchin, is about as much fun as the snails. Thats my update. Pics will be next time

OP
OP
GrandpaShark

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August 21st 2020 update. We have 2 saddleback clowns, 2 yellow tip damsels, 1 foxy fox face (yes i know my tanks is to small for when foxy grows. Hopefully by then I will have a bigger tank) diamond back goby, 1 urchin, 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, med size CUC, and an assortment of corals. Our little piece of the ocean is growing. I think I am coming out of my ugly stage, not much algae except on the glass from time to time. All our corals, fish and CUC are thriving and doing well. I hand feed my cleaner shrimp a piece of scallop every Friday. The cleaner shrimp will wait at the highest peak for it, pretty cool. My plan in a year is to upgrade between a 75g and 100g. But we will see. Want to give a shout out to everyone with R2R for the support and help during my journey.

15980628566038692012350195549479.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back