480gal long time coming build

shane reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the time has come to finally do a build I have been wanting to do for a long time. With the purchase of a new house and a remodel is in store for the house. I got the all clear to make a in wall tank from the wife [emoji1303]. Started with a few choices on sizes and found a tank that measures 8x4x2 made out of 1in acrylic. The look on her face when I showed up with it was like "I didn't think you were going that big, but wow!" Oops [emoji87]. So now the fun begins with both renovations and build out fish room, to now planning out the build for all the components, set up, and it's inhabitants. I have definitely settled on doing a mixed reef with a lot of LPS and slowly add a few sps later down the road with a little help from @Diesel. and some good planning it's going to be sweet.I still have not made up my mind on lighting, skimmer, return pump, and all the little odds and ends that go along with the build. This is gonna be a fun adventure and what the end result will be. Please share your thoughts and comments all info is welcomed for this build.
IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG

Last edited:

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along. I've got a 240g and dream of having it doubled some day. That extra depth (from to back) would make viewing even better.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you want me to come by and out my eyes on what you have and my mind in what your plan is will be exciting.
Just the task to light this puppy up will be a brain teaser :eek:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A wesome!

OP
OP
S

shane reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I know I a bursting with joy to undertake this build. Going to sit down with @Diesel here in the next couple of weeks and really start planning out the filtration, lightning and just the best way to make this a successful long term reef. Looking forward to share the progress.

OP
OP
S

shane reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ideas on building the stand for the tank. I wanted a stand with no center support. I will us 5 8in I-beams for the length. I was thinking 3x3 square tubing 1/4 thick for the ends. I will also but 45 degrees bracing in corners and to each beam. Do you think that this would work well?

OP
OP
S

shane reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good turn over rate for flow in the tank? Also looking into pumps on the best one with good flow lo power consumption.

Lillken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great-looking tank I recommend the red Dragon 230 D.C. Pump and the deltec 3070 and ai that's what I run on my 400 gallon[emoji106] good luck you will love it[emoji481][emoji481][emoji482]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice sump! You might want to lay it down though. Setting it on it's end like that can put stress on spots you don't want stress on. It could weaken the sump.

Back