4dtough reef pi build thread

4dtough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please!

Ok, so I put this together a few months ago but never got around to doing a build thread.

Have the pi zero, power controller , temperature controller and ato setup.

I have been having problems with the temperature sensors since day one. I have used all kinds of sensors, set up with a few different configurations for the wiring. I'm using mini xlr for the connectors.

I have always had random errors for a cycle or two, then today I kept getting them. I came home from work to try to remedy the problem. So far I have gone through ALL of the internal wiring and have ended up making all connections soldered besides the mini xlr. I changed the pull-up resistor. I even switched to a different pi. I am showing no temp sensors at all even though I have 3 connected.

Please help! I don't have any herring in my tank. I can set up the heaters manually but I have a 265 gallon tank and don't really have the time to calibrate thembefore work tomorrow and I don't want to cook or freeze my livestock

OP
OP

4dtough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the drok temperature sensors and 1 cheaper Amazon sensor. Nothing is registering as sensors. I'm gong to try to reinstall the software and see where that gets me

OP
OP

4dtough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still nothing... Reinstalled os, reinstalled reefpi 2.2....

OP
OP

4dtough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went through and redid every connection related to the temperature circuit. Soldered everything that could be soldered, reinstalled all software, changed raspberry pi. Still no sensors showing up so I put it all back together and set the heaters up manually and went back and checked for the sensors and they were there, so I set them up and within a half hour they were gone again.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried connecting one at a time just to simplify any wiring issues? Start with one following the guides posted and get that one ID'd and working. From there add another one and continue from there.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sensors get wired in parallel, meaning one bad one can take the others down with it.
Hockeyhead019 has good advice...try only one sensor at a time to see if you can eliminate the bad one and go from there

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back