4G Desk Corner Tank

Noahs Home Zoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this tank for a month now and have been accumulating equipment for the setup. I have my live rock for this tank living in my sump of my 40G(with 20g sump) at home. So it is all ready for going straight into this tank along with water from the main tank. Originally I had planned for building a 18" long by 6 inch tall by 8 inch deep tank. But the more I kept looking at the design I realized that where it would sit on my desk would leave it visible to everyone that sits in front of it. SO I came up with a new plan. I'm going to make a mostly triangle shaped tank to sit in the corner under my hutch. So I get to enjoy it and few will notice that it is there. I already have a 14G biocube (freshwater) in my office that has been running for 4 or 5 years now. So I think its time to add a little more to an office that is stuck in the middle of the building without any real light >.<

For the last couple days I have spent my lunch hour making a mock up of what it would look like so I can get my dimensions and layout right before I create it. There will be no live fish in this tank. Just a bunch of low light corals. In order to control the growth there will be no plating corals. Or anything that grows a skeleton that extrudes from the surface like the Euphyllia. So I'm sticking to a variety of Leptastreas, Rhodactis Mushrooms, and a cyphastrea. In order to combat over growth I have designed it so each piece of live rock will be drilled and an acrylic rod inserted. Those will then be pegged into the back wall and will hang in mid air. This should make it easier to remove if I need to swap out a piece of live rock or pull it apart for cleaning.

Since I don't plan to house fish due to its size I'm looking for ideas on very colorful and unique looking clean up crew members. FYI no Sand bed! So any suggestions are appreciated!

The lights will be a home made job. In the corner that the return pipes shoot water back into the bottom of the tank is where I intend to place corner slots to slip LED's into. This will have to be a custom setup so I can get the right colors. As well have it still slip into the smaller slot.

This was also a good reason to more more tools lol...picked up a table saw and a good fence rip guide. Sure it has a lot more usages lol...but why not :D I also have the cobalt EXT-800 pump for the tank which will fits perfectly into the back. I have messed with LED's replacing the lights on my motorcycle with custom LEDs, but have never messed with electrical from the wall. At this point I'm looking for input. My fence guide gets here in a week so I'm stuck till it gets here. Does anyone have any suggestions for making this a reality?

Hopefully I didn't ramble on to much :D

20180221_145538.jpg 20180221_140317.jpg

OP
OP
Noahs Home Zoo

Noahs Home Zoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the guys that I have picked up so far that will be housed in this tank. Until this thing is up and running they have a place in my tank at home :)
MockUp.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back