Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m probably getting a 50 gallon cube soon, and this is my planned stock list
It’s going to be a SPS dominated tank, it’s going to be mainly classic SPS like Bali greens and pink millies.

-Comet aka marine betta (too big?)
-algae blenny (too hungry? Will it irritate the corals)
-sankey or orchid dottyback colony (how many would be safe?)
-engineer goby (too big?)
-spriger damsel (pair or no?)
-Lubbock male (I already have him in my 20 cube)

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally wouldn't do the betta in a cube. Goby is probably fine but they grow huge and can be disruptive.

Never done a dottyback colony, or even a pair, so can't help you there. Sounds pretty though.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do the Betta and not sure about the Dottyback pair or group.

Starry Blenny looks better than the Lawnmower Blenny.

Not sure about Engineer Goby.

Maybe a pair of Springer’s would be okay.

Lubbock sounds good.

Shrimp and goby combo would be nice.

Possum / Pink Streak Wrasse.

Maybe even a pygmy Angel?

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do the Betta and not sure about the Dottyback pair or group.

Starry Blenny looks better than the Lawnmower Blenny.

Not sure about Engineer Goby.

Maybe a pair of Springer’s would be okay.

Lubbock sounds good.

Shrimp and goby combo would be nice.

Possum / Pink Streak Wrasse.

Maybe even a pygmy Angel?
I’m not a fan of shrimp goby combos.
my dad asked what if I did a biotope or just one species of fish
And as far as I know, starry blennies are rarely available herw

if I’m doing just one fish, orchid dottybacks?

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m probably getting a 50 gallon cube soon, and this is my planned stock list
It’s going to be a SPS dominated tank, it’s going to be mainly classic SPS like Bali greens and pink millies.

Engineer goby would be fine in that tank. I had one in my biocube 32 who was 18” long when he died and neve caused me any issues. He threw sand around a lot but my sand is a mess now that he’s gone. They’re gentle giants. Mine never hurt anyone

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An important thing to consider in cubes is that while you'd think the fish would spread out and use the whole area, few will go close to the top and they will likely congregate around the mid/lower area. Its easy for things to get crowded.

Id keep a total of 3 or max 4 fish in that footprint personally.

Deff a no on the Betta
Buy a smaller lawnmower blenny and he'd do fine
Damsel will likely get aggressive in that small footprint
Id go with 1 dottyback
Engineer would be fine
Wrasse should do fine

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my stocking plans:

I do want a small shoal of fishes maybe about 3-5. I’m thinking of trying red spot cardinals or other cardinals. I like threadfin cardinals too but they get a bit big for my liking, would ventralis or dispar anthias be too big? And I’m worried abt feeding.

Do I want a comet? Maybe but I’m also looking at small eels, dottybacks and basslets so pls recc some fish to me. I like chalk bass and have had a few in the past, lovely fish, my first one was the one that I cried over horribly(i was twelve) they were so personable and even followed my finger.

I’m also looking at angels, mainly the African flames mainly because they are cheaper and look cooler imo. And Bcs of their size. Out of curiosity, what is another small angel or even a butterfly that would be comfortable in a 50 cube.

I’m thinking clowns maybe? But not the ordinary ones. I like the "wild" type ones, mainly the saddlebacks, Red Sea, Madagascar, wild percs and tru darwins. But I have bad experiences with clowns so I may skip them.

And has anyone kept archerfish in a reef? I saw a few in Indonesia at a beach with long spine urchins, orbiculate and pyjama cardinals so I’m 80% sure it was full saltwater. Granted it was with mangroves around the area.

I do want some pest control fish and am particularly attracted to spriger’s damsels mainly because I kept one in my tank until it passed from a brook outbreak that killed my dearest royal gramma (the first fish to enter the tank)

The last survivor in my tank: Lubbock wrasse. Brook dint even touch him

I will keep him mainly because I am very attached to him. and he was $10 with all the other fairies that were all also $10. Hardy fish, eats all my pods up.

And I do want something to stay on the sand. Like an orange spot sleeper or a shrimp goby. Except shrimp gobies all look the same. So if there is a nice species that’ll be cool. I like the Dracula but they are $60-110 Which is way out of my budget because I still have to get a shrimp to pair with it. The issue I have with barbershops is that they have a weird face that’s somewhere between an angry face and a shocked one. And My dad likes blennies, gobies and mandarins Bcs he thinks they are cute so could a tail spot fit inside? I’m writing this in the middle of the night sorry I got off track a lot

I may have overstocked this.

Help me cut some fish out and give me suggestions.

Also I like biotopes so I am half interested in doing a reef based off of Singapore.

I just realised how long it is so

TLDR: I want a schooling fish, something to move around in the rockscape, a pest control fish, a showpiece fish like an angel, I don’t like clowns but I’m open to wild species. And a fish that stays on the sand and another on the rocks

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my stocking plans:

I do want a small shoal of fishes maybe about 3-5. I’m thinking of trying red spot cardinals or other cardinals. I like threadfin cardinals too but they get a bit big for my liking, would ventralis or dispar anthias be too big? And I’m worried abt feeding.

Do I want a comet? Maybe but I’m also looking at small eels, dottybacks and basslets so pls recc some fish to me. I like chalk bass and have had a few in the past, lovely fish, my first one was the one that I cried over horribly(i was twelve) they were so personable and even followed my finger.

I’m also looking at angels, mainly the African flames mainly because they are cheaper and look cooler imo. And Bcs of their size. Out of curiosity, what is another small angel or even a butterfly that would be comfortable in a 50 cube.

I’m thinking clowns maybe? But not the ordinary ones. I like the "wild" type ones, mainly the saddlebacks, Red Sea, Madagascar, wild percs and tru darwins. But I have bad experiences with clowns so I may skip them.

And has anyone kept archerfish in a reef? I saw a few in Indonesia at a beach with long spine urchins, orbiculate and pyjama cardinals so I’m 80% sure it was full saltwater. Granted it was with mangroves around the area.

I do want some pest control fish and am particularly attracted to spriger’s damsels mainly because I kept one in my tank until it passed from a brook outbreak that killed my dearest royal gramma (the first fish to enter the tank)

The last survivor in my tank: Lubbock wrasse. Brook dint even touch him

I will keep him mainly because I am very attached to him. and he was $10 with all the other fairies that were all also $10. Hardy fish, eats all my pods up.

And I do want something to stay on the sand. Like an orange spot sleeper or a shrimp goby. Except shrimp gobies all look the same. So if there is a nice species that’ll be cool. I like the Dracula but they are $60-110 Which is way out of my budget because I still have to get a shrimp to pair with it. The issue I have with barbershops is that they have a weird face that’s somewhere between an angry face and a shocked one. And My dad likes blennies, gobies and mandarins Bcs he thinks they are cute so could a tail spot fit inside? I’m writing this in the middle of the night sorry I got off track a lot

I may have overstocked this.

Help me cut some fish out and give me suggestions.

Also I like biotopes so I am half interested in doing a reef based off of Singapore.

I just realised how long it is so

TLDR: I want a schooling fish, something to move around in the rockscape, a pest control fish, a showpiece fish like an angel, I don’t like clowns but I’m open to wild species. And a fish that stays on the sand and another on the rocks
I’d def go with the engineer for a sand sifter super a awrsome fish to watch. You can’t keep archer fish in saltwater as far as I’m aware. Mangroves are a gray area which turn highly saline when the tide is in and mainly Fw when the tide is out. I’m like 99% certain archer fish are Fw.

Back