Feedback on planned fish stocking list (126 gallon)?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Clownfish Ocellaris (2)
  • Orchid Dottyback — ORA captive bred (2)
  • Lyretale anthias Pseudanthias squamipinnis (7)
  • Bellus Genicanthus (2)
  • Chalk Bass Serranus tortugarum (7)
  • Purple Tang Zebrasoma xanthurum (1)
  • Tomini Tang Ctenocheatus tominiensis (1)
  • Orange Stripe Prawn Goby Amblyeleotris randalli (1)
  • Tailspot Blenny Ecsenius stigmatura (1)
  • Starry Blenny Salarias ramosus (1)
  • Geometric Pygmy Hawk Plectranthias inermis (2)
  • Marine Betta Calloplesiops altivelis Biota (1)
126 Gallon Display Tank (48" x 30" x 20")
40 Gallon Sump

• ReefMat 500 fleece roller
  • Ultra Reef Akula UKS-160 Skimmer + avast swabbie + avast skimmate locker (L)
  • IceCap PRO Algae Scrubber (Medium)
  • Aqua UV - 25 watt UV sterilizer
  • Avast Plank Feeder
  • SPS dominated (trident + DOS, etc. etc.)
With my filtration, I think I can handle a pretty hefty bioload. But these are just guesses, and not even sure if there's enough space (for aggression etc).

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a lot of fish for a 126 gallon especially since they are going to grow! Cut the number in half if not a little more and I’d avoid two dottybacks together.

I had at least half of the fish, but bioload seemed a bit light. I guess space would be the issue rather than bioload here?

I've had great luck introducing two small captive raised dottybacks that pair up quite quickly, which is why I'm going to try it again. They make a lot of egg balls, it's really fun to see. Maybe I've gotten lucky?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had at least half of the fish, but bioload seemed a bit light. I guess space would be the issue rather than bioload here?

I've had great luck introducing two small captive raised dottybacks that pair up quite quickly, which is why I'm going to try it again. They make a lot of egg balls, it's really fun to see. Maybe I've gotten lucky?
Probably luck lol! I’d say both would be but space more so. Especially because anthias/tangs are super active and big fish.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Clownfish Ocellaris (2)
  • Orchid Dottyback — ORA captive bred (2)
  • Lyretale anthias Pseudanthias squamipinnis (5)
  • Bellus Genicanthus (2)
  • Chalk Bass Serranus tortugarum (5)
  • Orange Stripe Prawn Goby Amblyeleotris randalli (1)
  • Tailspot Blenny Ecsenius stigmatura (1)
  • Starry Blenny Salarias ramosus (1)
  • Geometric Pygmy Hawk Plectranthias inermis (2)

How about this?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably luck lol! I’d say both would be but space more so. Especially because anthias/tangs are super active and big fish.

Maybe I should've bought that lottery ticket last week... ;)

OK, cut out a few anthias, a few chalk bass, and I'll just have the Purple tang.

Of course I'll probably go slow to introduce so I'll see how it all plays out anyway, but planning this tank is fun =)

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I should've bought that lottery ticket last week... ;)

OK, cut out a few anthias, a few chalk bass, and I'll just have the Purple tang.

Of course I'll probably go slow to introduce so I'll see how it all plays out anyway, but planning this tank is fun =)
I can’t believe that one person won lol!! Definitely go slow and I’d maybe go with even less maybe a max of 15 fish or so good idea with just one tang/same species some are schooling but I’ve heard mixed things about mixing them and it really is depending on upgrades in the future, rock work, etc. just because they are going to grow but yes good idea to take it slow.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this?
If I’m honest, I’d personally add one more fish and it would be a second Amblyeleotris randalli to try pair them. You wouldn’t need a second pistol shrimp if your plan was to pair them with one. If I had the bio load I would almost certainly add a second watchman to pair my juvenile up but unfortunately I don’t think I have the capacity to have 2 4” Watchman’s.
If it helps this is my stock for my 4’x2’x18” tank (Often rounded up to 4’x2’x2’).
1 Genicanthus melanospilos
1 Ctenochaetus binotatus
1 Halichoeres chloropterus
1 Halichoeres iridis
1 Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus
2 Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
1 Paracheilinus hybrid
1 Chelmon rostratum
1 Siganus magnificus
1 Amphiprion occ x Amphiprion perc
1 Lysmata amboinensis
1 Alpheus bellulus
1 Stenopus scuttellatus
2 Lytechinus variegatus

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't even think of pairing with shrimp yet! I used to have the randalli, one of my first fish ever, so I'm excited to get another one. I'll definitely look at trying to pair them and even get them a pistol.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always pair up my captive-bred fridmani, and am apparently in the winners' club of never having experienced aggression with captive-bred orchid dottybacks. Springeri dottybacks are also great, if less colourful.

Chalk bass are related to groupers, and have the attitude to match. I wouldn't put more than two in any size of tank -- and have a plan 'B', just in case. Why not substitute a chalk bass with a tobacco bass?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always pair up my captive-bred fridmani, and am apparently in the winners' club of never having experienced aggression with captive-bred orchid dottybacks. Springeri dottybacks are also great, if less colourful.

Chalk bass are related to groupers, and have the attitude to match. I wouldn't put more than two in any size of tank -- and have a plan 'B', just in case. Why not substitute a chalk bass with a tobacco bass?

Oh interesting. I always thought chalk bass were fairly peaceful fish. Are tobacco bass better? I just want to get two different "groups" of fish, anthias and something else.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting. I always thought chalk bass were fairly peaceful fish. Are tobacco bass better? I just want to get two different "groups" of fish, anthias and something else.
My chalk bass is greedy and aggressive and has an excessive amount of attitude. They're lovely, personable fish, but they have an outsized Personal Zone for a mini fish. Tobacco bass are just as Extra, but they're even prettier.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chalk bass is greedy and aggressive and has an excessive amount of attitude. They're lovely, personable fish, but they have an outsized Personal Zone for a mini fish. Tobacco bass are just as Extra, but they're even prettier.

Interesting. I've seen a handful of tanks that have zero aggression from chalk bass, and even their descriptions around the web say so as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, I’d personally add one more fish and it would be a second Amblyeleotris randalli to try pair them. You wouldn’t need a second pistol shrimp if your plan was to pair them with one. If I had the bio load I would almost certainly add a second watchman to pair my juvenile up but unfortunately I don’t think I have the capacity to have 2 4” Watchman’s.
If it helps this is my stock for my 4’x2’x18” tank (Often rounded up to 4’x2’x2’).
1 Genicanthus melanospilos
1 Ctenochaetus binotatus
1 Halichoeres chloropterus
1 Halichoeres iridis
1 Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus
2 Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
1 Paracheilinus hybrid
1 Chelmon rostratum
1 Siganus magnificus
1 Amphiprion occ x Amphiprion perc
1 Lysmata amboinensis
1 Alpheus bellulus
1 Stenopus scuttellatus
2 Lytechinus variegatus
I managed to miss one fish from this list… My Cryptocentrus cinctus, I managed to list his pairing shrimp but managed to forget the fish himself.

Another thing I’d say about keeping lower in numbers… You cant forget one! When I had 5-6 fish I could name them all, as I now have 12 fish and some of them enjoy hiding, it’s a nightmare to count them all and not forget one.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've seen a handful of tanks that have zero aggression from chalk bass, and even their descriptions around the web say so as well.
Well, it's not like it takes chunks out of its tankmates, but it certainly is a bossy fish, and territorial to boot. But perhaps I've just ended up with the extreme example of its type. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chalk bass live in small groups/shoals (not really schools) on the reef. If you buy them at the same time, same size, from the same dealer, you should be fine. Tobacco bass that I've seen diving were always solitary.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back