50 gallon Half Moon Shallow Reef

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,

Been lurking here for a long one. I draw so much inspiration from all of the great members here. Now that I'm starting (very slowly) a new project, I figured I'd make a build thread of sorts.

Now that I finally got this thing reef ready, I need some help! The tank came with this great faux rock wall insert, I'm assuming for like freshwater or reptile setups, but my crazy butt thought it would do well as a reef.

At first, I was planning on coating the whole thing with epoxy, the sand and rubble, and making it similarly to the other faux reef rock walls I've seen, but then I was thinking it wouldn't look natural.

I also want to cut out some of the submerged portions to create some more swimming room.

What do you guys think? Open to any suggestions.

Here's what the tank looks like now. I'll add a before and after once I officially figure out what I want to do!

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

cincyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did coat it with sand and rubble on the back you could grow mangroves up the back. Would be a pretty sweet lagoon style setup. How deep is the tank?

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don't like the appearance of bowfront aquariums (personal preference), I didn't think I would like the shape of your tank. But out of curiosity I clicked on your thread, and I'm glad I did :) It looks quite cool, especially since it's rimless, and I'll definitely be following along.

About the background, think about what kind of rock you will be putting in your aquarium. Typical porous reef rock won't match the background IMO because the background rock isn't porous. You would have two types of rock that look completely different from eachother. If you ask me, it would look more natural if the background was covered in rock rubble than it would if the background was kept as-is, because the rock rubble would match the type of rock that you're putting coral on.

I wouldn't cut the submerged portions of the background unless you plan on filling in the hole somehow, or else you will see the back glass and the wall behind it through the hole in the background. But if you want more swimming room for your fish, then go for it.

Someone also mentioned mangroves, and I see that you were thinking the same thing. Mangroves would look awesome in a tank like that, and it would add more dimension (if that's the right word to use) to it, since the tank is shallow. I just like the look of mangroves in a reef aquarium I guess.

That's just what I think about it, and what I'd do if it were my own tank. I'm excited to see what your tank looks like when it's full of life!

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don't like the appearance of bowfront aquariums (personal preference), I didn't think I would like the shape of your tank. But out of curiosity I clicked on your thread, and I'm glad I did :) It looks quite cool, especially since it's rimless, and I'll definitely be following along.

About the background, think about what kind of rock you will be putting in your aquarium. Typical porous reef rock won't match the background IMO because the background rock isn't porous. You would have two types of rock that look completely different from eachother. If you ask me, it would look more natural if the background was covered in rock rubble than it would if the background was kept as-is, because the rock rubble would match the type of rock that you're putting coral on.

I wouldn't cut the submerged portions of the background unless you plan on filling in the hole somehow, or else you will see the back glass and the wall behind it through the hole in the background. But if you want more swimming room for your fish, then go for it.

Someone also mentioned mangroves, and I see that you were thinking the same thing. Mangroves would look awesome in a tank like that, and it would add more dimension (if that's the right word to use) to it, since the tank is shallow. I just like the look of mangroves in a reef aquarium I guess.

That's just what I think about it, and what I'd do if it were my own tank. I'm excited to see what your tank looks like when it's full of life!

Thanks 679x! I appreciate your feedback. The back wall will be painted black, so seeing the back wall will be of no consequence. As far as the look, that's exactly what I was thinking too, with the contrast, and as of now, I'm going to stick to the original plan to do the wall with sand and reef rock rubble. It will take longer, but I think I'll be happier with it in the end! Working on designing my plumbing now, and also figuring out what I want to do for equipment.

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium and a neat decoration concept. I can't wait to see how it develops, Traylor23.

Thanks! I'm excited about it too! It's going to be a really slowly developing project, but hope to have at least weekly updates from here on out!

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s an update and kind of what I’ve done so far:

• Installed the Small Eshopps Eclipse Overflow system
  • Made holes for two 1/2” Loc-Line Returns
  • Turned the original 3/4” drain into what will be an extra emergency standpipe drain
  • Cut out a few holes in the faux rock wall for extra swimming room
Still working on what equipment I want to use, as well as how I want to plumb everything. I have an old SCWD diverter laying around. Thinking about using that as this tank doesn’t have an ideal mounting option for my MP40w’s. Also will be painting the back wall black.

Lighting will likely start out with the extra 24” reefbreeders photon led fixture that I have. The other has worked well on my 150 cube.

As always, I welcome your comments, suggestions and criticism!

Here are some pictures of the modifications I’ve made to this once freshwater/herp tank:

A7A0E954-DDA1-4C58-83FE-02D982970336.jpeg

4D01216B-39D3-46A8-9E3E-EC442EC8F007.jpeg

CFBDBA62-5E78-4AAA-9763-598D8ACED134.jpeg

B8731AC3-A8A2-4242-8D84-E552A5082CC7.jpeg

CBFAD0BC-DAF4-4B19-B3FB-3FAB55CAA4C4.jpeg

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’m going to be doing a combination of epoxy, sand and rock rubble to make the back wall look more “reefy.”

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the back painted. Because of the background insert, it didn’t need to be perfect, but it’ll keep the back glass from being seen through the openings I cut out of the back wall.

80A71BB5-65FC-4E69-9D42-23F64FC03B58.jpeg

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneak peek at the transformation of the back wall. Still have some finishing and patch-up work to do with the epoxy, sand and rubble, but it’s coming.

Having never worked with epoxy before, let me warn all noobs to make small batches and not mix it all at one time. I really didn’t need a $16 plastic encased paintbrush, but I have one now!

5C83EE2E-1B1A-4173-B616-6529E3DBD823.jpeg

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS that isn't super close to me, but I get by occasionally has one of these, they've got it set up as a shallow lagoon and i remember it caught my eye when i first saw it. i didn't take any pictures of theirs when I was there, it may be a few weeks before I'm over in that part of town but I'll definitely grab pics of theirs next time I'm over there...

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that i think a little more about it I'm pretty sure they had it set up with a waterfall going down that back rock wall, i might have to plan a trip over there to check that tank out again and get some pics.

Back