OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that i think a little more about it I'm pretty sure they had it set up with a waterfall going down that back rock wall, i might have to plan a trip over there to check that tank out again and get some pics.

Yeah...I'm thinking that using the waterfall with saltwater will be a mess that I don't want to deal with, especially with salt creep accumulating. What I'm going to do is to use the waterfall feature as the outlet for my auto top-off. We'll just have to see how it works out. I'd definitely be interested in seeing pics of their setup though! Thanks for taking a look at my build!

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of that. Would probably do it only at night, with a fairly low powered blue led. Hmm...behind the wall is wet, up to the waterline of the tank. Any super inexpensive ideas?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of that. Would probably do it only at night, with a fairly low powered blue led. Hmm...behind the wall is wet, up to the waterline of the tank. Any super inexpensive ideas?
Could you shine a light through the back glass, like scrape a bit of paint off, maybe where the light would be behind a section of the wall that's intact so you don't see a spotlight shining through the cave opening. Thinking cheap led something like this
6cc799cdb23f37665dcbe2acdabb069e.jpg

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you shine a light through the back glass, like scrape a bit of paint off, maybe where the light would be behind a section of the wall that's intact so you don't see a spotlight shining through the cave opening. Thinking cheap led something like this
6cc799cdb23f37665dcbe2acdabb069e.jpg

Interesting thought. I'll look into it. It would look pretty awesome at night like that.

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work has slowed down on this. Still working on coating the faux rock wall with epoxy and sand to make it look like it belongs, but the air temperature is too cold for the epoxy to set, and I don't want to chance it in the house. Hopefully, this Georgia weather will cooperate and get back above 70 at some point this week!

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first day it is warm enough to do something, and I have time, and it's pouring down rain! Ugh!!!

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TJ! Don’t know how I missed your post. I got wrapped up with other projects and this one completely stalled out. I’ve gotten the itch again, and it looks like it’ll be up soon! Love yours, and $40 is a steal!

OP
OP
traylor23

traylor23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any ideas on how I should plumb this thing? So far, it's got a Eclipse S overflow box, with the Herbie method coming out of it, and then two return nozzles. The sump will be a 29g with three chambers.

| drain/skimmer | refugium | return |

Thanks for the help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back