50 gallon setup (hopefully)

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id really look into getting an internal filter, takes up some space but is worth IMO. Don't use tap water just wait until you can get an RODI system. Also maybe look at going into your LFS and seeing if they have any input as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I won’t bump as much. Wont have Any inverts and just tap water for the first fill. Ro di after.

stocking
Black Nox angel (I can have one now :D)
Pyramid butterflyfish
naoko wrasse
yellow eye kole tang
banana wrasse
harlequin tusk fish
tri Color wrasse
exquisite fairy wrasse
Target mandarin
clownfish pair
basslet blackcap
cleaner wrasse

Ive seen waaay too many horror stories regarding hob overflow boxes. So I don’t want to risk it.

equipment-
Aqua one nautilus 1100 (this canister filter is absolutely massive for this tank)

some cheap light

aqua one heater

a powerhead (idk yet)
Hang on, what are the dimensions of the tank? The gallons doesn’t change much at all, the dimensions are what will be a true game changer.

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I will. The tunze ones are impossible buy here in au
Your LFS should definitely have something in stock that can help with the filtering and also RODI. I would talk to them about stocking also, if the filtration is going to be on the lower end then stocking will have to be lower as well so the filtration can keep up

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said 36x18x18
I think I’ll just put 7ish fish In a 50 gallon. I talked to my lfs over the phone. They had a stock of aqua one G series. They also have a couple nautilus canister filters that can be use for marine. They don’t have much stock of other USA brands like tunze, ai, kessil etc etc

Smith.Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on getting an ATO, I really reccomend it as can other. Maunally topping off is risky since you can't really pin point evaporation as it changes daily.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people have replied to this part, but I will just throw this out there as an affirmation on the RODI system.
I have a 10g & a 28g, and while they are far from prized collection pieces, both are running with coral & fish, ONLY hob filters, and using GLR & TBS rock. No Skimmers, no other filters, no sumps, hand top off, and cheap(ish) lights. The one thing I did NOT go cheap on, is the RODI filter.
Pristine water, if you ask me, is a must ! It's just not worth the later on headaches of not using RODI water, unless you have 2-3 TDS spring fed tap water...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said 36x18x18
Just found it but Thankyou :)
stocking
Black Nox angel (I can have one now :D)
Pyramid butterflyfish
naoko wrasse
yellow eye kole tang
banana wrasse
harlequin tusk fish
tri Color wrasse
exquisite fairy wrasse
Target mandarin
clownfish pair
basslet blackcap
cleaner wrasse
Okay first off, all those wrasses are a no. You can have some but not all of them.
I’ll start with the wrasses and work my way down the list.

Cirrhilabrus naokoae may work in that tank however you will likely be unsuccessful having this with a Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus.
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus should be alright but again, you may find that a Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus or Cirrhilabrus naokoae will be aggressive towards it in a 3’ tank.
Now, the Banana wrasse has 2 species that go under this name - Halichoeres chrysus and Thalassoma lutescens. If you mean the Halichoeres then all you need to make sure you have is a 2” deep sand bed with a maximum of 4mm sand grains. However if you mean the Thalassoma species then again, say farewell to this species on the list. They are aggressive and highly active.
The Choerodon fasciatus is also a big no, these guys are again hyperactive and are bad for eating smaller fish once they start to age.
The final wrasse I assume is a Labroides dimidatus. If so, go for the CB version as these are bad for settling into captivity.

The tang and butterfly in this sized tank are also a no, these both need a minimum of a 4’ tank as they’re both rather active and also they get rather large. Again, the same thing occurs with the Angel unfortunately.

The clownfish pair and Mandarin should both be alright, just add the mandarin a year after the tank established at the earliest. This is due to the feeding requirements of the mandarin. The Black Cap Basslet is another that should be alright.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was the one for the 48x18x18 tank

My current stocking list
naoko wrasse
exquisite fair wrasse
yellow coris wrasse
essentially only wrasses with a couple of bottom feeders
any recommendations? Wrasse dominated tank btw

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ "i can't think" would be a good person to listen to when it comes to wrasses. There is also a pretty lengthy wrasse lovers thread that has a TON of good information in it.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could i add a melanurus wrasse and earmuff wrasse?
so far
Naoko wrasse
aqualihibrus exquisitus
yellow coris
melanurus
earmuff wrasse
clownfish pair
target mandarin
hawkfish

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll deal with the canister filter, and instead of a reef tank I’ll just do a fowlr with A 75 gallon. I’m tearing my Oscar tank down so why not take the canister filter and tank. I’ll try To make an aio but I don’t really want to… I’ll have a lid ofc, as it’s gonna be wrasse dominated and don’t want any carpet surfing happening. Sadly this tank is fully tempered and can’t do anything about it. BTW can I use tap water for first. Fill then use rodi/distilled?
Made the mistake of starting with tap water. Algae EVERYWHERE.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found it but Thankyou :)

Okay first off, all those wrasses are a no. You can have some but not all of them.
I’ll start with the wrasses and work my way down the list.

Cirrhilabrus naokoae may work in that tank however you will likely be unsuccessful having this with a Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus.
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus should be alright but again, you may find that a Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus or Cirrhilabrus naokoae will be aggressive towards it in a 3’ tank.
Now, the Banana wrasse has 2 species that go under this name - Halichoeres chrysus and Thalassoma lutescens. If you mean the Halichoeres then all you need to make sure you have is a 2” deep sand bed with a maximum of 4mm sand grains. However if you mean the Thalassoma species then again, say farewell to this species on the list. They are aggressive and highly active.
The Choerodon fasciatus is also a big no, these guys are again hyperactive and are bad for eating smaller fish once they start to age.
The final wrasse I assume is a Labroides dimidatus. If so, go for the CB version as these are bad for settling into captivity.

The tang and butterfly in this sized tank are also a no, these both need a minimum of a 4’ tank as they’re both rather active and also they get rather large. Again, the same thing occurs with the Angel unfortunately.

The clownfish pair and Mandarin should both be alright, just add the mandarin a year after the tank established at the earliest. This is due to the feeding requirements of the mandarin. The Black Cap Basslet is another that should be alright.
Aren't Thalassoma lutescens more known as Yellow-Brown Wrasse or Sunset Wrasse?

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alriiight. Been thinking. plan to buy an ro system from geekpure. Only protein skimmer setup with around 20kg (45 punds i think). A heater with a temp control and a cheap light. Question - dwarf eel in the tank? Bioload aint issue.

Stocking (I think)
Naoko wrasse
midas blenny
Diamond goby (frozen food eater)
mandarin (frozen food eater)
yellow coris wrasse
Percula pair
blackcap basslet
longnose hawk
papuan toby puffer

Anything bad here?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back