OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh... I guess ill run 2 marine land penguins which is about the same as an aquaclear 110. btw the strips work on saltwater too but ill check with my lfs.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ill just amek an aio system
chamber 1 - filter sock, filter floss
chamber 2 - chaeto
chamber 3 heater, carbon
chamber 4 - aqua one 104/105 for flow + return. Btw its a 20 long and about the same as a 30 gal

Or maybe ill just d0 the 50. with the aio ive got 2 options.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I know that you have said that you are impatient, and that is just who you are. I get it, I was young and indecisive at one time also. And please do not take this as being harsh, but you really should slow down just a bit with this. It is an amazing hobby, and very rewarding, if you just let it run its course. The best part that I have seen, is that even though a bit reluctant to listen, you are still asking questions, rather than rushing out to do whatever you want anyway.

Remember, it's cool to want those certain "fishes" but if we can't really take care of them and give them a proper home, it doesn't make us any better than ...

Attachments

• 4839b777f2b7eadf1dbcb3eb41559e93--finding-nemo-goldfish.jpg
    4839b777f2b7eadf1dbcb3eb41559e93--finding-nemo-goldfish.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Been keeping fresh for a long time now and i have a made the mistake of putting an oscar with a school of tetras.
I honestly just wanted to see opinions, to see if the fish was suitable, im just excited for all the saltwater snimals i could keep.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of food, would i be okay with a mixture of frozen pods, hikari mysis, hikari seaweed extreme, crushed nori and a teaspoon of flakes. Is this overfeeding? Can i thaq and refreeze in ice cube trays?

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of food, would i be okay with a mixture of frozen pods, hikari mysis, hikari seaweed extreme, crushed nori and a teaspoon of flakes. Is this overfeeding? Can i thaq and refreeze in ice cube trays?
Looks good. Depends on how many animals you have, how mature the tank is at the time, and what kind of export you have going. It's better to feed smaller portions more often rather than in large portions only 1 time a day.

General rule I follow is feed as much as the animals will eat in 2-3 minutes while flow is minimized. Test nitrates and phosphates at the end of the week. If they are going up, you're feeding too much. Some people say feed more dry foods. Some say more frozen. I don't think it matters much as long as all your animals are fat and happy; and your water perimeters are solid.

Edit: You can freeze them in zip lock bags laid flat in the freezer. That way you can break off chunks and thaw them. Also, you can add drops of vitamins into the food as well.

Last edited:

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice ! I will add though, some of it depends on the animals you choose as well. If they are strictly herbivores, they will need a different diet.
I think that most people will agree that a diet with variety is best for the tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, will have 10 - 12 fish plus cuc to feed so im pretty sure thats fine, I think ill feed some mysis + crushed nori in the start as most of my stocking are carnivores or omnivores, But i dont want the herbivores to suffer so i think thats the perfect blend. Will also be using an algae clip down the road. As for variety, i think ill feed this blend for 4 days in a week (alternating) and some pellets. Additionally ill be feeding reef roids or redsea ab+ to my planned lps like acans and trachys. My cabinet will be stuffed with potions in a bottle lol. Also, just thought id point this out, im gonna be using the empty cabinet under my tank for foods, bottles of various supplies, nets, gravel vaccum, aquarium tongs, test kits, fragging tools, spare pumps and equipment, salt bucket, maybe a dosing pump and my FW reservoir. Thats a lot of stuff lol

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp ive got sad news, the 50 gallon leaks :(. The 20 gal works and is ready to set up. My stocking.

PJ cardinal
Tanaka pygmy wrasse
Yellow banded pygny wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Hellfrichi firefish or the purplw one
Orange spot goby
Clown maybe

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp ive got sad news, the 50 gallon leaks :(. The 20 gal works and is ready to set up. My stocking.

PJ cardinal
Tanaka pygmy wrasse
Yellow banded pygny wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Hellfrichi firefish or the purplw one
Orange spot goby
Clown maybe

That's way too much for a 20. I have the Pink Streaked Wrasse, Purple Firefish and Royal Gramma in a 26G and plan on putting one more wrasse. I have to carbon dose, run ZeoMix, and Rowaphos to keep nitrates/phosphates in check. I'd limit it to a pygmy wrasse, pink streaked and a firefish and I'd definitely stay away from a clown. In that small of a tank it might eventually get territorial. I tried to put a clown in with my wrasse and firefish and it nearly killed them even after putting them into a acclamation box for a week.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's way too much for a 20. I have the Pink Streaked Wrasse, Purple Firefish and Royal Gramma in a 26G and plan on putting one more wrasse. I have to carbon dose, run ZeoMix, and Rowaphos to keep nitrates/phosphates in check. I'd limit it to a pygmy wrasse, pink streaked and a firefish and I'd definitely stay away from a clown. In that small of a tank it might eventually get territorial. I tried to put a clown in with my wrasse and firefish and it nearly killed them even after putting them into a acclamation box for a week.
Instead of the pink streak, ill do the pj cardinal, and do a single orange spot goby

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i will. And my lfs can order them.
The wrasses you want are generally seasonal. You won’t likely find them until March through to late April/early May, and September through to mid October.
You may find the odd one or two outside of their seasonal range however you likely won’t find many groups (These guys are fish you want to see in groups as you won’t find them all healthy and settled well).

If you want more information on the care of the Pygmy Wrasses then I have an article specified to Pseudocheilinops ataenia but their care is generally the same in the Wetmorella genus.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lucky for me, the tank is going up somewhere around february, and my first fish is probably going to come march which i guess ill take the opportunity to start off with the pygmy wrasse. Who knew that my first fish is gonna be a rather rare one :0

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my parents want the next time i set up a tank to be the centerpiece of a room. I guess ill do the 75 gal. They really want to have a kind of tang and butterfly. I managed to convince them that if it grows out the tank ill give it away. I know its a stretch but can a species of tang and a species of butterflyfish that can fit for a looong time or for life.

NTar11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can’t tell if you are serious or just messing with people? I think you need to internally process until you purchase a tank. Once you have the tank you can start figuring out a stocking plan and the direction you want to take. It sounds to me that you most certainly will make many mistakes if you don’t slow down. Good luck to you on your future tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back