50 gallon setup (hopefully)

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6foot x 14inch x 18 inch

sorry didnt reply earlier, i couldnt see your message somehow
Like @A Young reefer asked, what tank exactly. You mentioned a sump but also said AIO. AIO's are not truly the size they state which will limit space. Not all aquariums are made equally either. Skimmer chamber, refugium, filter area, return area... They can often dictate how you'll need to manage your tank. If it's going to be a centerpiece, plumbing, wiring, etc can weigh very heavily on what tank choices, stand choices and equipment choices you'll need to make.

Dreaming of the fish you'll keep is great, but I gureantee you your selection WILL change over time as you get more experience with the hobby. You're going to find out the difference between theory and reality. Knowing what a tang or angle fish's requirements are is not the same as having to accomodate them. It can become VERY tedious VERY quickly! You might find that you hate having to deal with certain fish or corals. Like, I don't think 20lb's of live rock is near close enough to give your animals places to hide or feel comfortable. In a 6' tank you'll probably be looking for much more rock. So, knowing exactly what tank you're thinking of will help people point out issues you may not be aware of.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant 20kg, but now im considering 30kgs (65lbs i think). I was planning to diy an aio system to fit my needs. wasnt buying a premade aio system. I have a link but can i post it?? The second option is just hang everything on the back, i highly doubt anyone will notice is its behind the rock. If im doing this its gonna be only skimmer setup. A refugium will be in the aio. So after reading your post, I want to knwo what you would recommend for stocking. the musts for me are-
a regal angel
japanese swallow tail angel
a decent algae eater
a naokos wrasse
pajama cardinal

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant 20kg, but now im considering 30kgs (65lbs i think). I was planning to diy an aio system to fit my needs. wasnt buying a premade aio system. I have a link but can i post it?? The second option is just hang everything on the back, i highly doubt anyone will notice is its behind the rock. If im doing this its gonna be only skimmer setup. A refugium will be in the aio. So after reading your post, I want to knwo what you would recommend for stocking. the musts for me are-
a regal angel
japanese swallow tail angel
a decent algae eater
a naokos wrasse
pajama cardinal
Yes, you can post links to equipment/livestock you are looking to purchase.

TBH you're agonizing over rare/seasonal fish you may never see. You have a general idea of what you want. Now start a build thread about how you want to construct their home. IMO, I don't see you getting these rare/seasonal animals for years. It's possible that in 1 year there will be a ban on some of them. Move on. Let's see some photos of the spot you've chosen, the equipment you think you'll need, reefscape you like, or debate epoxy vs cement-glue, etc.... Fish are easy. Tank, QT & biome construction are HARD.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily, my lfs is pretty good at getting rare stuff in. its a fowlr so reltively simple scape just enough to provide hiding spots.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the name/picture of the tank your gonna use?
well that basically doesnt matter because it leaked and flooded my floor ☠️. the most painful 2 hours of my life. SO 4'x18"x18" tank it is. Ill be starting my build thread may ish. so i just want to give an overview of everything i planned.

Rockscape,
large central island in the middle with caves and some rocks here and there.

Equipment
Diy aio with filter sock chamber in the 1st chamber, 2nd chamber heater and hob skimmer, 3rd chamber mini refugium, 4th chamber return

random others
IO salt
salifert nitrate test kit
shop lights (doesnt really amtter that much.
refractometer
RO system

Stocking (subject to change)
Regal angel or japanese swallowtail (whichever one i find first I guess)
naokos wrasse
one spot foxface (first fish most likely just to combat algae)(will probably rehome when larger)
pajama cardinal
clown pair
midas blenny
A goby
pearlscale butterfly
Pygmy wrasse

Thats a abasic overview

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also @i cant think sorry for ping but, how did you get your regal to eat? and is it compatible with other angels (I was thinking the japanese swallowtail)
My LFS got it to eat however when I was working at an LFS we used sponges (their natural diet) to mix in with the food and eventually they began to feed.

I wouldn’t do several angels in a 4’x18”x18” tank, I would only chose one, if any. They are compatible with other angels in larger (4’x2’-6’x2’) tanks however you would have to cut down on your stocking.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that basically doesnt matter because it leaked and flooded my floor ☠️. the most painful 2 hours of my life. SO 4'x18"x18" tank it is. Ill be starting my build thread may ish. so i just want to give an overview of everything i planned.

Rockscape,
large central island in the middle with caves and some rocks here and there.

Equipment
Diy aio with filter sock chamber in the 1st chamber, 2nd chamber heater and hob skimmer, 3rd chamber mini refugium, 4th chamber return

random others
IO salt
salifert nitrate test kit
shop lights (doesnt really amtter that much.
refractometer
RO system

Stocking (subject to change)
Regal angel or japanese swallowtail (whichever one i find first I guess)
naokos wrasse
one spot foxface (first fish most likely just to combat algae)(will probably rehome when larger)
pajama cardinal
clown pair
midas blenny
A goby
pearlscale butterfly
Pygmy wrasse

Thats a abasic overview
A quick note on your stocking list;

Butterflies and Angels may be a risk. I witnessed my Chelmon rostratum and Pygoplites diacanthus having a standoff last night although no harm was done - it was mainly heirarchal - I would still be cautious.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick note on your stocking list;

Butterflies and Angels may be a risk. I witnessed my Chelmon rostratum and Pygoplites diacanthus having a standoff last night although no harm was done - it was mainly heirarchal - I would still be cautious.
ill watch out for it.
My LFS got it to eat however when I was working at an LFS we used sponges (their natural diet) to mix in with the food and eventually they began to feed.

I wouldn’t do several angels in a 4’x18”x18” tank, I would only chose one, if any. They are compatible with other angels in larger (4’x2’-6’x2’) tanks however you would have to cut down on your stocking.
ill try that if nothing works, but i am def gonna buy one that feeds like a glutton

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alright, one of them it is. Just curious 2 could work right? I see people doing them all the time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, one of them it is. Just curious 2 could work right? I see people doing them all the time.
Multiple angels can work in the right tank size however most angels outside of the dwarfs need a 4’x2’ floor space if the tank will be slightly heavier stocked.
If you plan to go lower on stocking then you could do one medium sized angel in that 18” depth.

rostalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with getting a simple start up fish like a clown or pair of clowns. Get your tank started and cycled. You’ve already noted 2 tanks with leaks. I’ve only been in this for 6 months and my costs skyrocketed very quickly. You can’t cut corners. This isn’t fresh water keeping (which I had done for decades) it’s a whole different ball game. You may start off with 2 simple fish and realize it’s not for you. Also it takes A LOT of time each weekend doing water changes, mixing salt, cleaning down the walls. Think carefully about if this is something you really love and really want to do. Many of these fish live a long time. Respect them and give them the home they deserve. You wouldn’t get a dog and then just hand it off a year later because it grew bigger would you?

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with getting a simple start up fish like a clown or pair of clowns. Get your tank started and cycled. You’ve already noted 2 tanks with leaks. I’ve only been in this for 6 months and my costs skyrocketed very quickly. You can’t cut corners. This isn’t fresh water keeping (which I had done for decades) it’s a whole different ball game. You may start off with 2 simple fish and realize it’s not for you. Also it takes A LOT of time each weekend doing water changes, mixing salt, cleaning down the walls. Think carefully about if this is something you really love and really want to do. Many of these fish live a long time. Respect them and give them the home they deserve. You wouldn’t get a dog and then just hand it off a year later because it grew bigger would you?
Yea i was starting off with a foxface which is an easy, simple fish. I guess i needed to specify that i will rehome if it gets stressed. Im willing to give up some of my time. Im not cutting corners. And i am willing to spend.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple angels can work in the right tank size however most angels outside of the dwarfs need a 4’x2’ floor space if the tank will be slightly heavier stocked.
If you plan to go lower on stocking then you could do one medium sized angel in that 18” depth.
Ill lower the stocking, thanks alot. The regal or japanese swallowtail angel, in your opinion?

SO stocking

A medium angel (regal or japanese swallowtail)
Naokos wrasse
foxface
pajama cardinal
midas blenny
cleaner wrasse
pearlscale butterfly
clown pair

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill lower the stocking, thanks alot. The regal or japanese swallowtail angel, in your opinion?

SO stocking

A medium angel (regal or japanese swallowtail)
Naokos wrasse
foxface
pajama cardinal
midas blenny
cleaner wrasse
pearlscale butterfly
clown pair
Since you’re new to this hobby, avoid the regal. The regal is my second personal ‘large’ Angel however I have had several personal Dwarf Angels and also I’ve cared for many Angels both large and dwarf in the LFS.

Regals have several issues of their own whilst G. semifasciatus is much easier in care. They are also similar to G. melanospilos as females and G. caudovittatus as males so if you did get a Semifasciatus you will want to make sure it’s definitely that species and not one of the similar species. If you don’t mind which you get then it’s really just a waiting game for either of those three to show up on the market.

With the Butterfly I would also wait a longer period before getting a species from the Chaetodon genus. I would stick into the genus of Forcipiger or one of the easier Chelmon species (Not Rostratum but instead Muelleri or Marginalis).

I would also avoid the Cleaner Wrasse. These guys just don’t fair well in captivity and if they do last longer than 6 months then they can terrorise some of their tankmates because of the cleaning. The other issue is how LFS’s sell Labroides and Labropsis under similar names (“Cleaner Wrasse”) which may seem like it’s not an issue however Labropsis is a corallivore genus in the wild and only cleans when young.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’re new to this hobby, avoid the regal. The regal is my second personal ‘large’ Angel however I have had several personal Dwarf Angels and also I’ve cared for many Angels both large and dwarf in the LFS.

Regals have several issues of their own whilst G. semifasciatus is much easier in care. They are also similar to G. melanospilos as females and G. caudovittatus as males so if you did get a Semifasciatus you will want to make sure it’s definitely that species and not one of the similar species. If you don’t mind which you get then it’s really just a waiting game for either of those three to show up on the market.

With the Butterfly I would also wait a longer period before getting a species from the Chaetodon genus. I would stick into the genus of Forcipiger or one of the easier Chelmon species (Not Rostratum but instead Muelleri or Marginalis).

I would also avoid the Cleaner Wrasse. These guys just don’t fair well in captivity and if they do last longer than 6 months then they can terrorise some of their tankmates because of the cleaning. The other issue is how LFS’s sell Labroides and Labropsis under similar names (“Cleaner Wrasse”) which may seem like it’s not an issue however Labropsis is a corallivore genus in the wild and only cleans when young.
Hmmm, i was under the impression pearlscale butterflies were easy. I think ill do Chelmon marginalis as muelleri seem to be rare. No cleaner wrasse, got it. Just one last question before i give up any hope of the regal, if it eats in the lfs, will it be likely to eat in our own personal tank? As you may tell, i am quite fond of this fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, i was under the impression pearlscale butterflies were easy. I think ill do Chelmon marginalis as muelleri seem to be rare. No cleaner wrasse, got it. Just one last question before i give up any hope of the regal, if it eats in the lfs, will it be likely to eat in our own personal tank? As you may tell, i am quite fond of this fish.
A Regal will likely eat if it eats in the LFS in which case you may be good with it. I would also drop acclimate these guys as they can be sensitive to changes IME.
This is my guy who is currently almost two weeks in in my tank.
340352B4-2445-4828-8AA5-FCE28E3A235B.jpeg

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Regal will likely eat if it eats in the LFS in which case you may be good with it. I would also drop acclimate these guys as they can be sensitive to changes IME.
This is my guy who is currently almost two weeks in in my tank.
340352B4-2445-4828-8AA5-FCE28E3A235B.jpeg
So I could do it once i have a good amount of experience eh? I guess its just a race to which one of those species i find first. Thats a gorgeous fish btw.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back