Moonfruit's 125G

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just registered on R2R and wanted to start documenting my tank which I upgraded two weeks ago :)

Tank stats:
Volume
: 125G/500Liter Custom made wtih 12mm Glass
Lights:
1x Maxspect R420R 160W 16000k,
1x Maxspect R420R 120W 16000k - both with 120° Lenses

2x Radion gen4 xr30 pro
2x 54w T5 with ATI blue+
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve-7
Flow: 2x Jebao RW-15
Returnpump: Jebao DCT-4000
Dosing: Aqua Medic reefdoser -> Fauna Marin's Balling light with trace elements
ATO: Tunze Osmolator
UV: JBL ProCristal UV-C 36W
Heater: Jäger 200W
Cooling: AC keeps the room and the tank cool
Rocks: 50% liverock, 50% Korallenwelt & Arka Reef ceramics
Sand: ATI Fiji white 1-2mm

Livestock:
Fish:

1x Purple tang | Zebrasoma xanthurum
1x Powder blue tang | Acanthurus leucosternon
1x Leopard wrasse | Macropharyngodon bipartitus
1x McCosker's flasher wrasse | Paracheilinus mccoskeri
1x Yellow Candy Hogfish | Bodianus bimaculatus
2x Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris
1x Royal Gramma | Gramma loreto
5x Anthias | Pseudanthias squamipinnis
1x banggai cardinalfish | Pterapogon kauderni
2x Yellow assessor | Assessor flavissimus
1x Helfrich's firefish | Nemateleotris helfrichi
1x Orange Spotted Blenny | Blenniella chrysospilos

Inverts:
Hermit crabs, Cowries, striped cleaner shrimp, red cleaner shrimp, blue T. Crocea, Pompom crab, blue legged coral shrimp, Percnon crab, coco feather worm

Coral:
too many... everything I like :D
Anyone in Germany who can please trade me a piece of JF Fox Flame or Pink Lemonade Acro please let me know thank you!! LOL

Current FTS:
20190524_120638-2.jpg
20190616_230349.jpg
20190617_114230-2.jpg

Old FTS:
20180730_195601.jpg

d54e7f19-2b56-4e6b-aad5-a56800ddbf2c.jpg
20161112_113422.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture taken 5 min ago:
20161126_123923.jpg

Despite the quick move of the tank most corals are doing OK

I am pretty pleased how the tank turned out so far...
I still have got to glue some frags onto the rocks... i hate the look of the racks stuck to the glass and some corals are still sitting in the sand...

Parameters:
except for some minor fluctuation in temperature (25-26) everything is pretty stable so far...

Temp: 25,0° C/77°F
Salt: 35 (Refractometer)
Mg: 1360 (RedSea)
Ca: 460 (RedSea)
KH: 8.7 (RedSea)

Problems:

1. Some (not all) Acros and Seriatoporas have lost color as Nutrients are very low -> Phosphate @ 0.007... (Triton), Nitrate @ <1 (RedSea)
(Note the green slimer Acro being very bright and pale:()

2. Trace element overdose:eek:
I let Triton analyse the water to see if everything was OK and they found out that some trace elements were overdosed.
I use "FaunaMarin ultra color elements" red, green and blue for a long time and dose the recommended amount weekly
Almost every trace-element added by the "ultra color blue" additive was too high concentrated. That includes Copper @ 3,9µg/l, Lithium @ 411 µg/l, Molybdenum @ 26 µg/l, Vanadium @ 52µg/l, Chromium @ 18µg/l
Those elements are ignored by most reefers (including myself) as testing for these elements at home is hardly an option...

No severe impacts are noticeable yet but I stopped dosing the blue color stuff and will do normal weekly water changes just to be sure... :D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. As I was told to do is feed, feed:)

OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because i know people will ask for it:
Here's the sump area...
UV will be mounted on the back wall and I might add some light and algae for the middle chamber in the future...
I will also order some sort of tube holder for the dosing tubes...
20161121_000534.jpg

I mentioned low nutrients being a problem earlier... the No3Po4-X has not yet been and will (for now) not be dosed in this tank... i just installed the tubing for it...

Overall nothing crazy going on here - I prefer to keep it simple :rolleyes:

PS - still messing with camera settings... most pictures are too blue or too blurry :mad:

OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can slightly see it in one of the other pictures - but the tank is right in front of my bed... every morning i wake up to a blue lit reef with all those neon green and red corals :cool:
I love it :D

20161127_143611.jpg

The "noise" of the filtration and the overflow is very quiet. It acts more like some sort of white noise and is rather helpful than disturbing to fall asleep :)

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. Welcome to R2R;)

OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Powder blue and Purple tang-

I also want to bring up my two tangs as they are always a hot topic...

To start... I got the purple tang on my birthday two years ago and kept him in my former 55G reef...
When i decided to upgrade to a 125 I thought a lot about which other "big" fish I wanted to get...
Yellow tang, blue tang, foxface,... came to my mind... I never really thought about the powder blue as you mostly find horror stories about them...
After reading a lot about the powder blue I just wanted to give it a shot and accepted the challenge as this is one of my (and many others) favorite (reef safe) fish.

Here is a write up of my (still very short) experience - it might even be helpful for some people considering a PBT.

Concerns before buying the Powder blue tang:

1. PBTs are notorious for getting ich...
2. The aggressive behavior might lead to death of one of my tangs

Some of the things may or may not be helpful but those things are what i consider worth doing and are what i did:

1. I had to get a UV filter - not much to say about that...

2. Vitamin and garlic food addition - despite the debate of garlic not doing anything, I think it is an easy thing to add some garlic to the fish-food... [I currently use Tropic Marin "Immuvit" and "Lipovit"

3. I got a new pellet food from "Aquarium Münster" called "Dr. Bassleer Biofish-Food >Matrine<" - this food is supposed to specifically help with marine-ich [Sidenote: the L sized pellets - the M sized pellets are more like dust :mad:]

4. Despite being promoted everywhere, i decided to go without quarantine -> reasons: I got the PBT at a clean and specialized reef store - they had him for 8+ weeks and he was looking healthy, was eating well, was fat, swimming actively, no signs of illness or scratches
and he had roughly the size of my purple tang. My reasoning was that a QT tank would not do much as it would only stress the fish, and if he was ick free - any sort of medicine would not have any affect... as he would probably get the ick later in the tank anyways...

5. I let the store hold the fish back for me for another two weeks just to be sure and so i could get the new tank set up...
I think it is important to get such a delicate fish LOCALLY and not shipped across the country...

6. I wanted to avoid unnecessary stress between my purple tang and the new powder blue tang and released them exactly at the same second into the tank... None of the tangs had seen the rockwork before and thus no rivalries about territory.

7. lights were on as usual - no "release them at night" method...

8. I fed a lot in the first couple of days to keep them distracted - mysis, artemia, krill, cyclops, red plankton, lobster eggs, Nori (tons - the clip is always filled with nori), the above mentioned pellets, ocean nutrition formula one and two pellets

9. I got cleaner shrimps and a cleaner wrasse to fulfill any desire to get cleaned
[Sidenote again: the cleaner wrasse was already teamed up with the PBT and cleaning him in the store! No need to say that i had to get them both ;)]

Conclusion:
A lot more effort than usual just for adding "a fish" - I don't plan on taking this challenge over and over again! - It either works out or it doesn't, the risky and delicate fish was chosen and i will have to live with the results.

The results so far:

Of course the PBT got ich in the beginning...:eek: but he got along nicely with the purple tang!:)
After two weeks the spots are gone and only some few spots appear on him here and there.
Aggression between the two tangs are rare and not worth mentioning... The different body-shape, color should play a role here - also both the purple tang and the powder blue are known bullies and i think that this facts cancels out some aggression

I do not consider the PBT successfull yet, as two weeks are maybe not enough time for the fish to acclimate 100%.
Also the behavior may change in future as the fish will grow larger (sadly :D).

I am open for any opinions on the PBT topic!

Tell me if you prefer longer more detailed posts or if I should write less detailed in the future!

Anyways I will keep you updated on how everything plays out!

Purple and Powder blue tang.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tridacna euphyllia goniopora.jpg

Quick shot of a number of awesome creatures!

Tridacna Maxima (left and right)
1 Tridacna Squamosa (middle)

Purple and red Goniopora
Green Alveopora
Euphyllia Ancora in Green and Purpleish

OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top view on the right Maxima
20161127_144718.jpg

Top view on the left and middle clams
20161127_144736.jpg

The T. Squamosa does not change in color, if you switch to a top down view, compared to the T. Maximas...

OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go with some shots of my Acropora

Acropora with tan base color and very deep blue tips - combined with big polyps that sway in the flow - it looks stunning!
20161126_154011.jpg

ridiculously hard to find a frag of strawberry-shortcake in Germany... I managed to get a small piece! :cool:
20161127_145000-3.jpg

A to me unknown Acropora sp. - deep purple base and bright green tips (ID anyone?)
20161127_142723.jpg

Another "name unknown" tabling Acropora sp. - really interesting shape and nice metallic green color - The mother colony of this piece looks super nice, can't wait for it to grow big :p
20161127_142814.jpg

Acropora Carduus / Red dragon - like most Acros with "name" it was crazy hard to get my hands on a piece - only recently when the local reef shop got rid of it's show tank I was able to get a piece :D
20161126_153856.jpg

That's it for now...

Are the Photos acceptable?
I still can't decide on a good setting for my camera :( - Hard to find a general setting that suits every situation... I think it really depends on the coral's color you try to capture...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back