50g Lagoon- hybrid vs LED

Coopdod50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm planning on getting an Innovative Marine 50g AIO lagoon to use as a frag system (display dimensions on it are 29"x 18"x 16" )I'll be doing it like a typical frag tank would be, sps up SPS, LPS in the middle, and softies down low. I'm debating on what lighting to use but I've got it down to three options and wanted some other thoughts on it.

Option 1: 1 Aquatic Life 24" DX18 dimmable T5 + 1 Radion XR15 G5. the dimensions on the DX15 are 25"x 18" and I'd use all ATI Blue+ bulbs.

Option 2: 2 Radion XR15s

Option 3: ATI Sunpower 24" 6x24w with 2 Orphek LED bars.

All of them are relatively close in price and would work but I just want other reefer's opinions and what they think would be best. Any other suggestions would be helpful as well!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All will work for sure. I am a fan of option 1.

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against buying Radion G5’s. I purchased two XR30 blues when they first came out Last year. Now that they are out of warranty one stopped working. Sent to Ecotech and they claimed it has water damage! They are mounted 11” high from the tank and I have never taken them down or dropped them in the tank. I noticed the exposed screws on the underside were rusted when I went to remove them to send them in.

$900 for 1-year of service! Never again. I will say that Ecotech customer service was great and although the light was out of warranty by a few weeks. They replaced it but said they wouldn’t replace again.

OP
OP
Coopdod50

Coopdod50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against buying Radion G5’s. I purchased two XR30 blues when they first came out Last year. Now that they are out of warranty one stopped working. Sent to Ecotech and they claimed it has water damage! They are mounted 11” high from the tank and I have never taken them down or dropped them in the tank. I noticed the exposed screws on the underside were rusted when I went to remove them to send them in.

$900 for 1-year of service! Never again. I will say that Ecotech customer service was great and although the light was out of warranty by a few weeks. They replaced it but said they wouldn’t replace again.
That's nice that they replaced it but that's definitely weird they claimed it as water damage. Thanks for the input!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 3 month old ATI 6 bulb Sunpower that i used on that same tank except it was the EXT version so a bit wider. I loved it! Coverage was great. I upgraded to a MH/T5 fixture to try that for awhile. Pm me with any questions! Fixture is mint!

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm planning on getting an Innovative Marine 50g AIO lagoon to use as a frag system (display dimensions on it are 29"x 18"x 16" )I'll be doing it like a typical frag tank would be, sps up SPS, LPS in the middle, and softies down low. I'm debating on what lighting to use but I've got it down to three options and wanted some other thoughts on it.

Option 1: 1 Aquatic Life 24" DX18 dimmable T5 + 1 Radion XR15 G5. the dimensions on the DX15 are 25"x 18" and I'd use all ATI Blue+ bulbs.

Option 2: 2 Radion XR15s

Option 3: ATI Sunpower 24" 6x24w with 2 Orphek LED bars.

All of them are relatively close in price and would work but I just want other reefer's opinions and what they think would be best. Any other suggestions would be helpful as well!
Option 2. Easy choice

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back